Fairly nice article on AI methods for games

That wasn't a quote. I just bolded that portion of the text to emphasize my point. When I said "a machine which never alters its behavioural pattern cannot be considered intelligent", I did not imply that the machine needs to learn.

I meant that the program needs to make decisions in order to be considered intelligent (by my definition anyway). That is, the program can't merely consist of sequence and iteration - selection is also needed.

When my grandpa goes to take a piss, he's making a decision to do so based on external stimulus (fluid pushing against the walls of his bladder). Likewise, for a soldier in some FPS game to be considered intelligent, it needs to make decisions like if distance from wall == 0, stop walking, turn 90 degrees, then continue walking.

edit: the wall would have to be outside of the soldier's AI routine. That is, you could place a soldier anywhere in the environment, and he would continue to function.

LongJumper Wrote:I don't know where you got that quote from, but it and intelligent shouldn't be in the same sentence... Smile

It is your opinion, but I guess I'm a bit more loose on what I consider artificial intelligence. Just because it's not capable of learning anything else doesn't mean it's not artificial intelligence. My grandpa is old and getting senile, I doubt he could sit down and learn calculus, doesn't mean he's not intelligent. I mean, where in the phrase "Artificial Intelligence" do you see "must be able to learn new things"? I see Artificial, which means made up, not organic, created, and I see intelligence, which means(to me), a thought process, a decision based on what you know about something.

So, that FSM is definetly made up, not organic, created... and it definetly has a thought process, a decision based on what is given to it. It may be very simple, it may not take into account that things change over time, but it's still artificial intelligence. It's not the most intelligent thing ever, but it still is intelligent. If the "AI" was simply: walk forward, then I wouldn't consider it AI, becase it's not making a decision. This one is making a decision, based on what the developer thought was important information, disregarding a lot of other things for simplicity, speed, and pointlessness. It's kind of like pruning, the developer decided, "Well, I suppose it could learn more, but if anything else it learns is just redundant, I can cover everything in one small FSM that captures the general idea, and displays a hint of intelligence to the player... well then, I've created an artificial intelligent being."
Quote this message in a reply
Andrew Wrote:I meant that the program needs to make decisions in order to be considered intelligent (by my definition anyway). That is, the program can't merely consist of sequence and iteration - selection is also needed.
You're making really great arguments here Andrew, but AI as it is used in game terminology is really just anything that gives the *illusion* of intelligence. An NPC patrolling on a catwalk 50 meters away who will have no chance of ever interacting must *appear* to be doing something that resembles what an intelligent being would be doing -walking back and forth like an idiot with a gun strapped to his back. Instead of calling it somthing like "Artificial Stupidity" or "Smoke and Mirrors" we just call it Artificial Intelligence so it fits with the general scheme of things. Likewise, it's called AI if you have a boulder that rolls down the hill when the player gets close enough. If that's not a complete perversion of your definition of intelligence then I don't know what else could be, but it's called Artificial Intelligence all the same. It's the stuff that makes the player feel that the virtual game world is working around them. Just look at it like the game programmer is not making a specific entity intelligent but that he/she is making the entire game intelligent by making it act as the puppeteer who controls everything, including the guy that just walks back and forth without making a decision. In the scope of academic AI however, your argument is the rule.
AnotherJake Wrote:"Artificial Stupidity"

LOL that's a great one!
Andrew Wrote:When my grandpa goes to take a [...]

Weird example, if I may say Blink
PowerMacX Wrote:Weird example, if I may say Blink

ya... while I was typing the post, I REALLY had to pee...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Article] Advanced Racing AI SethWillits 2 4,190 Mar 25, 2009 05:09 AM
Last Post: Ingemar
  Some nice tutorials on graphics and physics Leisure Suit Lurie 1 2,272 Jul 22, 2005 07:57 AM
Last Post: Nick