What is your game development environment? (June 2005)

Sage
Blorx2 Wrote:I might squirm my way into Ruby

You should take a look at my 21 days entry. It's not an example of an elegant or highly reusabel way of using Ruby in a game, but it shows how easily it can be done.

Not that I'm trying to push Ruby or anything... Sneaky
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
>That was the first language I ever learnt,
PowerMax, So Spanish is your second language?

>This is a poll we should update every 3 months for...ever.
I don't think much would change in 3 months, but I do agree... perhaps twice a year.

>Funny that there are more Cocoa devs
Not really, it could be that the ones who didn't also vote for Obj-C voted for Cocoa assuming it was "Cocoa Kids Programming System by Apple" LOL

>5 Ruby Game developers? Who? Other than myself and OSC
The other 3 want to be in your cool club. i.e. Coolness by association.

So, in looking at this poll and the last one, are there any trends?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I never voted Ruby. I thought about it but, said to myself that I hadn't squirmed my way in yet. I probably will end up using it, though. As for Cocoa, I've used it a few times and confused myself beyond belief...I'm better off just using C++. I think the thing with alot of Cocoa and OpenGL programmers is that the tutorials either don't take 1 month to complete and the books 2 months to read like my C++ book...learn C++ in 21 days? meh, that's a lie...it took me 2 months to read throughall that code and all those quizzes!.

@Skorche: are you suggesting that a look at it? or at the code?

Last login: Sat Aug 6 09:15:05 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
Matt-Chelens-Computer:~ matthew$
Sage
Carlos Camacho Wrote:>5 Ruby Game developers? Who? Other than myself and OSC
The other 3 want to be in your cool club. i.e. Coolness by association.
LOL

I wish...
Carlos Camacho Wrote:Cocoa assuming it was "Cocoa Kids Programming System by Apple" LOL
Haha, I remember that, it was some kind of creation software where you could have sprites and such, but only move them in blocks. I think there is a commercial app which is very much alike, and the name starts in S or something.

Sorry for going a bit OT.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
[Image: TNShootEmUpConstructionKit_alter.jpg]

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
@Daniel_Lurie: LOL
@Erazer: It's not that bad to go off ot, you're no being watched by the mods on the Hyperboy forums or something
@Skorche: I'm probably going to get into Ruby when I get the G4 back to normal...I think it just needs a break from running 24/7 so, be prepared to help out Wink

Last login: Sat Aug 6 09:15:05 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
Matt-Chelens-Computer:~ matthew$
noerhcana
Unregistered

ERaZer Wrote:Haha, I remember that, it was some kind of creation software where you could have sprites and such, but only move them in blocks. I think there is a commercial app which is very much alike, and the name starts in S or something.

Sorry for going a bit OT.

I believe you are referring to Sk8, there's a few resources out on the web, found a few screens here: http://www.lemonodor.com/archives/000028.html
There's also a little info here if you scroll down half way: http://monday.sourceforge.net/wiki/index...ylanEulogy

I suppose the modern variant is here: http://www.squeakland.org/ the demo movie shows how useful this is, especially for kids (squeak.org seems to be offline for now, for further information go here: http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation).

Reminds me of a variant called Agentsheets: http://agentsheets.com/

Hope this rekindles some neurons...

Cheers,

noerhcana.
Luminary
Some simple questions --

To the 28.17% using Carbon, why?! Get with the times, folks!
To the one person using Cocoa without ObjC, which language are you using? Python?
To the 47.89% using Cocoa with ObjC, have you considered Python instead? Mmmm, garbage collection...
To the 46.48% using C++, you do realize C++ is Evil, don't you?
To the 28.17% not using OpenGL, what on earth are you using?!
To the 2.82% using Allegro, why, oh why?!
To the 91.55% not using Ruby, what's your excuse?
To the 4 silent Ruby users, who are you?
Just to skew the results a bit, we've got 2 people using Unity full-time going up to 5 in August as part of our next game project.

cheers - the OTEE guys

Nicholas Francis
http://www.otee.dk
Quote:To the 28.17% using Carbon, why?! Get with the times, folks!

* Mac OS 9 support maybe. Even though that system is dead.

Quote:To the one person using Cocoa without ObjC, which language are you using? Python?

* Seems rather odd.

Quote:To the 47.89% using Cocoa with ObjC, have you considered Python instead? Mmmm, garbage collection...

Java has garbage collection aswell. But I prefer having control over memory. If you abuse the garbage collection I would think your application would run slow and generally cause a bad user experience.
I don't know Python, though I've heard of it, but it would seem to me that that language is better for scripting and not so good for application development. I may be wrong ofcourse.

Quote:To the 46.48% using C++, you do realize C++ is Evil, don't you?

* C++ is not evil if you use the parts that aren't evil, classes for example. If you move to using templates then I agree entirely. That's what I love Objective C. It's a much better language.

Quote:To the 28.17% not using OpenGL, what on earth are you using?!

* SDL, but then again SDL may already use OpenGL behind the scenes. Quartz 2D if you are on Panther, in Tiger Quartz uses OpenGL.

Quote:To the 2.82% using Allegro, why, oh why?!

* No idea

Quote:To the 91.55% not using Ruby, what's your excuse?

Doesn't apply to my domain

Quote:To the 4 silent Ruby users, who are you?

* = doesn't apply to me

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Nibbie
Who are the other Java lurkers? (Apart from Sillysoft Rasp)

Cas Smile
Sage
Taxodium.
The advantage of Python over Java is that it's far more flexible. Java is less flexible than Obj-c, and Python is a little bit more flexible. For most of your high-level code, using a slower language like Python wouldn't affect the speed more than a few percent, but would certainly make the programming easier. Once you have something working, profile the code and rewrite the classes or methods that take the most time in Obj-C or C. You can pretty much freely mix Obj-C and Python code. The same is true for Ruby to some extent, but the Ruby-Cocoa module doesn't seem quite as mature.

I wonder how Ruby (or Python etc.) doesn't apply to you. They really do make things easier to write. Unless you're writing some performance intensive blitter or heavy math code, that's a good candidate for C. Using a higher level language simply makes development easier. Why else do you think that writing in assembly has mostly died out? Sure maybe it would be a few percent faster than C for a large program, but it would take forever to write and be a nightmare to debug.
We originally implemented the GooBall gamecode in Python... Not Engine, just rolling the ball around updated at 100 FPS

We had GooBall running under python using 60% CPU just for the ball & a few timers. Lack of type safety was a pain, but bearable. We ported to C# in one month and saw our CPU usage drop to .5% for the ball controller.

Never again.

Nicholas Francis
http://www.otee.dk
Sage
A lot of people think that not having type safety is a good thing for productivity. (self included)

100 updates a second seems somewhat aggressive for most games, I'd assume you need that because you are using ODE. Admittedly, a high performance game engine running a fancy game is going to take more of an impact from using an interpreted language. Although even C# is higher level and easier to work with than C/C++, so that still helps to prove the point. (unless you picked it for some other reason...)

A couple of friends and I are working on a side-scrolling shooter that currently is still implemented almost completely in Ruby. Only the collision detection is written in C so far. It easily makes tens of thousands of GL calls a second for the lighting and particles. It certainly didn't have any problems running on any of our machines at 60fps. (down to a 1.4Ghz Athalon or 1.25Ghz G4)

(edit: Wait... What kind of timers and ball control were you using that it took you a month to port them? Huh )

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  game development using directx/cryengine codetoeternity 2 1,558 Oct 10, 2013 06:34 AM
Last Post: codetoeternity
  Incorrect Environment Variables? bmantzey 4 4,726 May 11, 2012 09:45 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  News: Game development MMO in the works diablosandwicheater 0 2,545 Mar 13, 2012 10:33 AM
Last Post: diablosandwicheater
  Mobile development environment Gideros Studio gorkem 0 3,118 Feb 8, 2012 12:55 PM
Last Post: gorkem
  Game Development Environments SethWillits 14 9,024 Feb 20, 2009 04:27 PM
Last Post: Toontingy