What is your game development environment? (June 2005)

OneSadCookie Wrote:Some simple questions --

To the 28.17% using Carbon, why?! Get with the times, folks!

Meaning what? Carbon is perfectly fine for file handling and I definitely prefer it to the C or C++ file functions. Better than Obj-C's file stuff too.

KenD

CodeBlender Software - http://www.codeblender.com
Quote this message in a reply
I have to agree with the file function stuff; cocoa makes it very hard to load any type of binary file, because theyre so stuck on the fact that everything needs to be a class. Other then that, however, cocoa kicks @$$, big time.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Well, just abstract OS specific stuff into Cocoa. Just use Cocoa for the GUI/GL setu/etc, and plain C++ for everything else. That's what we do, and we have no hard times with binaries Wink
Luminary
Whoa, somebody /prefers/ Carbon's file API?!

* OneSadCookie faints
What's Carbon? Wink

"So long and thanks for all the fish" - In memory of Douglas Adams.
My Site
I use Cocoa for UI stuff in the game editors and C++ for the rest. Works out real well.

KenD

CodeBlender Software - http://www.codeblender.com
wait this poll is confusing me. you can make a game solely with C ? i was under the impression that you needed to used something else aswell to get the graphics. clarification?
Luminary
Some of the options are languages and some are APIs. Everyone will be using at least one language and one API Wink
I'm using OpenGL and C++ for my current (and only) game. I'm also using Objective-C and cocoa to set up the graphics context and for events, but that's about it. Since I'm only using it for the convenience of those areas and not as the guts of the game, I didn't mark it.

As for language preference, I definitely like C++. I hate the confines of Java, as well as Objective-C. (to a lesser extent, though) I like the portability and power of vanilla C/C++ with system APIs used only when needed. (such as with my current game with the OpenGL context and event handling)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  game development using directx/cryengine codetoeternity 2 1,450 Oct 10, 2013 06:34 AM
Last Post: codetoeternity
  Incorrect Environment Variables? bmantzey 4 4,613 May 11, 2012 09:45 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  News: Game development MMO in the works diablosandwicheater 0 2,500 Mar 13, 2012 10:33 AM
Last Post: diablosandwicheater
  Mobile development environment Gideros Studio gorkem 0 3,072 Feb 8, 2012 12:55 PM
Last Post: gorkem
  Game Development Environments SethWillits 14 8,811 Feb 20, 2009 04:27 PM
Last Post: Toontingy