21-Days Later: Predator - Rules

Founder
Sponsored by Spymac
[Image: spymac_mainlogo_big.gif]

[Image: pic_1099980733.jpg]
1st Place Prize
Free one-year subscription to Wheel and the Spymac Set. The Spymac.Set includes the Spymac.Pack and a Spymac.Case. The Spymac.Pack can act as both a notebook trolley and a traditional backpack and makes traveling with your notebook easy. The Spymac.Case is a luxury case for Apple’s line of PowerBooks and iBooks that can easily slide in and out of the Spymac.Pack. All Spymac.Cases feature an integrated shock-protection system and include a matching numerical-security lock, a detachable shoulder strap with anti-slip padding and a keyboard and screen protector. Together, the two items address the needs of a wide variety of situations. For more information on both items, visit the Spymac.Case and Spymac.Pack sections.as well as a

2nd Place Prize
Free one-year subscription to Wheel and the Spymac Pack. Information on the Spymac Pack is stated above.

[Image: pic_1099989795.jpg]
3rd Place Prize
One-year subscription to the Wheel and any item from the Clothing Line at the Spymac Shop.

The Concept
From aliens to cyborgs, predators, which are usually controlled by A.I., are to be avoided in game worlds. For the next 21 days, iDevGames invites Mac developers to pay homage to our OS of choice by creating a game which places the player at the top of the food chain. Be it teeth, claw, poison, horns, cunning, blade or ballistics, it's time to make them prey.

The Schedule

* Start: June 3, 2005
* Application Deadline: June 16, 2005
* Game Entry Deadline: June 23, 2005 (23:59 GMT)

Eligibility

The Contest is open to all developers, regardless of location and age, except for where prohibited by law. By participating in this Contest, each entrant accepts the conditions stated in these Official Rules, agrees to be bound by the decisions of the judges, and warrants that she/he is eligible to participate in this Contest.

How to Enter

* To enter, follow the instructions on this page: http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?p=88435
* You may register for the contest as an individual or as a team, as well as submit multiple entries.
* To be eligible for judging, all entrant applications must be received by no later than June 23, 2005 (23:59 GMT).
* Submit a Mac OS X native (double-clickable application) game, whose archived size does not exceed 4.2MB, by June 23, 2005 (23:59 GMT).
* Submit the source code (no size limitation) to your game by June 23, 2005 (23:59 GMT).
* Game entries that were made public before June 3, 2005 may not be entered.

Conditions

iDevGames and the judging organization are not responsible for late, lost, stolen, damaged, garbled, incomplete, misaddressed, postage-due, or misdirected entries or communications; for errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, or delays in operations or transmission of information, in each case whether arising by way of technical or other failures or malfunctions of computer hardware, software, communications devices, or transmission lines, or data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry materials, loss, or otherwise. Sponsor disclaims any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with, this Contest, and reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify, cancel, terminate, or suspend this Contest should any virus, bug, technical failures, unauthorized human intervention, or other causes beyond iDevGames' control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Contest. In the event of such cancellation, termination, or suspension, a notice will be posted. iDevGames reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant if his or her fraud or misconduct affects the integrity of the Contest.

How Games Are Scored

The judges for the competition assigned 1-10 scores to each game, in ten categories:
The game met the theme of the contest.
I enjoyed playing this game.
The play mechanics of the game were easy to understand.
This is a game I would keep on my hard drive.
This game was presented professionally.
I can easily play this game during my coffee break.
This game felt like it belonged on a Mac.
This game ran smoothly on my machine.
The concept of this game was pretty original.
I'd love to see the code for this game.

A score of 10 represented strong agreement with the statement, while a score of 1 conveyed strong disagreement. The scores in each category are then combined to determine the game's overall score. Games are ranked according to their overall score.

FAQ

Are there any limitations for game genres?
No, your game can utilize 2D or 3D, and may either be arcade or simulation style. However, we strongly advise you to choose a project that will lend itself to being created in 21 days!

Are there limits on members in a team?
No.

Can I assist another entrant with code, design and/or game assets?
Yes.

What tools are allowed to create entries?
There are no limits to tools, SDKs, engines, etc. as long as the finished playable is a Mac OS X native application and can be launched by double-clicking it in the Finder.

Can I enter a game that is based on publicly available source code?
The contest's goal is to create new and original games. You may use 3rd party source code; however, if the Judges rule that the game does not exhibit enough originality, compared to the game on which its code is based, the entry will be disallowed.

The size limitation is too severe. Can my game transfer/download/stream/etc. additional game assets?
Since the focus is on challenging developers to create a great game in a limited size, entries that connect to an outside network, except for allowing for multi-player gaming, will not be allowed.

Will requiring 3rd party APIs, such as SDL, count against the file size of my entry?
Yes, since any additional APIs which must be installed by the player for the game to function should be bundled in your archive.

Do I have to include single-player or multiplayer play in my entry?
All games must include a single-player mode. Multiplayer mode is optional.

Can I market my game as shareware or release it as open-source, once the Contest obligations are met?
Yes, once the Contest obligations are met, you are free to re-release the playable and/or code in any form as you wish.

Can I use game assets not created by myself or my team?
Yes. However, games which infringe on the copyright of others or their intellectual property in any form will suffer immediate disqualification.

Can I enter a cross-platform entry?
Yes, you may develop your entry as cross-platform. However, all judging will be based on the Mac OS X version.

Can I use Python to to create and enter a game?
Yes, just distribute the compiled bytecode .pyc files and leave the .py files out.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Prize Distribution Rules Question pinguoren 7 6,734 Mar 18, 2009 10:20 AM
Last Post: DavidGuy
  3DU Contest Rules? What for? Casemon 34 17,009 Dec 31, 2006 06:08 PM
Last Post: Yoggy
  "21-Days Later: Carlosvision" Results Carlos Camacho 11 7,313 Jul 7, 2006 11:50 AM
Last Post: Leisure Suit Lurie
  "21-Days Later: Carlosvision" Entries Carlos Camacho 5 7,120 Jun 30, 2006 07:40 PM
Last Post: LaRue
  "21-Days Later: Carlosvision" Contest Rules Carlos Camacho 0 4,709 Jun 9, 2006 08:46 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho