Project 64

Overview: Project 64 is an open-source N64 emulator for Windows that allows you to play online with others.
My goal: Due to a friend asking me to, I'm going to attempt a port to Mac
Programming language: C
My needs: Help

-Matt
(since it is open-source (well version 1.4 is) will we have to ask the devs about this?)

Last login: Sat Aug 6 09:15:05 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
Matt-Chelens-Computer:~ matthew$
Quote this message in a reply
Not gonna happen. It uses x86 assembler(not mac compatable) to get most of its speed. You'd be better off writing a new emulator or looking in to mupen64. Or you could just use sixtyforce.com .
Trust me, I've been down this route :-)
Well, I'd be better off writing my own wmulator considering most of them don't let you configure the keyboard controls...this could be a summer project for you, Corun Wink

Welcome to Darwin!
Blorx2 Wrote:Well, I'd be better off writing my own wmulator considering most of them don't let you configure the keyboard controls...this could be a summer project for you, Corun Wink

Writing an emulator from scratch is a huge pain in the ass because of just all the attention you have to pay to detail- even if you have a spec of the machine you're emulating, there are likely games out that won't work and you have to sort of reverse-engineer on those, so it's definitely betting to use existing code.

Obviously you can separate the hardware emulation part of the code with the user interface that allows you to choose what keys to press. So you'd only have to write the UI code, which is fairly trivial if you use something like SDL.
Also, C isn't a scripting language.
Emus are $%&% hard to make. Trust me. I actually bothered to look at the source code before. And anyways, don't use an emulator! Go get the real thing! With a dev kit from ebay so you can run code on it!
Mupen64 is OSS, you could hack in your controller configuration doodads to that. Trust me, we don't need another half-complete emulator. Smile
ok, well, I found a good one, SixtyForce. Mupen has no sound support LOL

Welcome to Darwin!
C isn't a scripting language, Ruby/Lua/perl are. C is a programing language.
notice, hen you run one of the above the actual 'program' is > first argument (i.e. ruby test.rb; perl test.pl); you run c programs as ./test

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Nayr Wrote:C isn't a scripting language, Ruby/Lua/perl are. C is a programing language.
notice, hen you run one of the above the actual 'program' is > first argument (i.e. ruby test.rb; perl test.pl); you run c programs as ./test

[off topic]Actually you can run a perl script just as any executable file, as long as:
  1. It has the correct path to the interpreter as its first line (for instance "#! /usr/bin/perl -w")
  2. It has the execute bit set.

Both are usually the case (as with other "shell scripts")
[/off topic]
florencecity
Unregistered

where did you get it ? Sad
Sage
socksy Wrote:Also, C isn't a scripting language.

Who said it was?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!