2D game engines

Are there any free game engines that I could get to make a side scroller without having to make it like DK: JB? I'm looking into Torque 2D and BlitzMax but both are very expensive...I'm open for any answers.

(if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it to another forum due to me not knowing where the heck I should've posted it)

Last login: Sat Aug 6 09:15:05 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
Matt-Chelens-Computer:~ matthew$
Quote this message in a reply
You may look into Kelvin's new CocoaGranite framework that he is building. I'm not sure how far along he is, but his now-deceased framework (CocoaBlitz) was awesome.
Or you could look at PlayKode.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
I tried Playkode...it's a little confusing with the layout

Welcome to Darwin!
To each their own...but it is free (so far) and will do what you need.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Ok, nvm the original post here.
1. Now, anyone know any GOOD Lua tutorials?
2. Also, how do you add a part of the code to the list?
3. How do you import graphics? (this'll probably be in the Lua tutorial, duh)
4. Can you add a registration system?
5. Can there be 2 "ends" of a level in a side-scroller instead of that on and on thing in the example?
6. Lastly, how do you make it stand-alone without needing PK?

Welcome to Darwin!
Josh Wrote:You may look into Kelvin's new CocoaGranite framework that he is building. I'm not sure how far along he is, but his now-deceased framework (CocoaBlitz) was awesome.
Actually, CocoaGranite has a subversion repository you can download from. Most of the old functionality of CB is still missing, but the core is more finely tuned and tied to OpenGL. I've messed around and have been able to get particle systems (textured quads) with tens of thousands of sprites flying around at 60fps VBL.

As of right now, CocoaGranite has most of the basic 2D functionality (i.e. Setting up the ortho projection, loading textures, submitting verts) If you just need to learn these basics, feel free to mess around in the framework. When you've got a good grasp of the concepts, feel free to lift code wholesale from the project. You can also browse the repository.

If you want a downloadable archive, send me an email and I'll package up whatever I have.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Nibbie
OK, i know you said blitzmax is very expensive ($80 USD i think) but its really really good. Get the 30 day trial and see what you can do, I really really love it, and am on a tight budget myself. Also, its an investment, since in 1 month the netgaming module comes out, so you can do multiplayer, and the 3D engine will be out in 6 months - then it will pwn anything else available at $80, so I highly recommend it. Its impossible to code with it for three weeks and not become a local spokesperson for it, I LOVE BLITZMAX - AND THEY DIDNT PAY ME TO SAY THIS, I PAID THEM!
Puzzler183
Unregistered

I'm still a fan of roll your own... A 2D engine wouldn't be exactly terribly difficult either IMO.
Zander
Unregistered

http://www.silvercreator.net has something pretty good for making 2d games (it is NOT a 2d game engine)
There is also Mr. Simko's Power Game Factory

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ALT: Game Engines applekid 33 11,857 Feb 24, 2003 03:11 PM
Last Post: griffin239