Game flop

I like it, thanks funkboy. Sorry for pseudo-hijacking your thread IceMan Smile This is probably useful talk though (I hope Smile).

The only experience I have with actually finishing and selling software on my own is with our (C.A.) one Dreamcast game we've gotten published. It's a whole different world -- you only get one shot at release, you don't get upgrades or anything. So you have to work for months and months at it perfecting it before you get to sell anything, and hope you got it right. Smile It's a wee bit stressful. We did put out a demo version that people could burn to a CD beforehand, so that was pretty useful, but not quite as nice and updatable as shareware. I've had the opposite experience quite a lot as well (FOSS) but there's no selling involved there so that's pretty different too. What you're saying sounds like a healthy combination of the two approaches.

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
Quote this message in a reply
Oldtimer
Iceman, I'm going to be painfully honest here: the game needs more polish.
That said, I think it shows great potential, but definitely needs more work. I'd recommend you to - if you decide to go the shareware route - fork out another $10 or whatever and get someone over at the Art board to make new sprites. Those lion sprites are almost... insulting the rest of the cool graphics you've got started. I absolutely love the forest you have going there, but the lion sprites aren't following the style. With a more homegenous graphics style and a couple of more weeks of polish, I'm sure you could go further with it.

So, bottom line: more polish, more money. Simple as the game is, it has... personality! Keep going! Smile I hope I'm not too harsh on you, but you need to take this game further. Don't waste your effort.
funkboy Wrote:have a little Mario "Oh no!" animation of some sort, have him drop off the screen or something.

Okay I'll try for something like that

funkboy Wrote:The menu when selecting a level to start from does not work very well - the mouse interferes with the keyboard control: when I click, it just advances the level number instead of starting the game at that level like clicking "Start Game" does. Also, I can't press "Return" or "Enter" when on that menu item.

Keep working on it, it still shows lots of promise!

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Make sure you download version 1.1, you're supposed to click the start level to change the level number and start game to start the game on that level.

Btw I have a $50.00 contest on the best Larm's Adventure map and no one has entered except my beta tester. The lesson learned is that contests don't work or else it's because the user has to register the game to enter the contest.
I loved the Games! I'll see what I can do about registering. Grin
I have a couple things that you could do to improve the game.
1). The world is 2.5D, why aren't the characters?
2). Have a larger Icon. it looks pixelated on my screen.
3). I set it for full-screen, but it stayed in windowed, even when I restarted the game.
4). Have different enemies, (i.e more than lions).
5). Have power-ups.
6). get rid of that black bar at the top of the window.
7). The text is hard to read against the background texture. Make it bold, or change the color, or something.
8). have the camera be closer. The character is too darn slow.
9). Have the main character be different then the others.

That's all for now. Will update later.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Nayr Wrote:I loved the Games! I'll see what I can do about registering. Grin
I have a couple things that you could do to improve the game.
1). The world is 2.5D, why aren't the characters?

I was going for the yoink look

Nayr Wrote:2). Have a larger Icon. it looks pixelated on my screen.

Yeah I know I used a really small image for the icon

Nayr Wrote:3). I set it for full-screen, but it stayed in windowed, even when I restarted the game.

Are you clicking the "fullscreeen:off" menu item?

Nayr Wrote:4). Have different enemies, (i.e more than lions).
5). Have power-ups.

I have some ideas for power ups but I still need some ideas for enemies.

Nayr Wrote:6). get rid of that black bar at the top of the window.

I test everything with a 3:4 screen ratio so that's why there's a black bar on the top and bottom

Nayr Wrote:7). The text is hard to read against the background texture. Make it bold, or change the color, or something.
8). have the camera be closer. The character is too darn slow.
9). Have the main character be different then the others.

That's all for now. Will update later.

I'll work on the enemies so they're different like mario. The other stuff I'll leave the way it is.

I also just updated the game again so you can play 10 levels on the demo.
http://www.solarfusionsoftware.com/Larm/larm110.zip
It seems the more levels I have in the demo the better people get hooked on the game. In my other game, Robot Rover, I have 28 free levels and people seem to get hooked on it.
Ok. More input Grin

1). The characters should be more... squashed. They're too tall.
3). Ideas for more characters (along the idea of Jungle):
A). Elephants, which require two hits.
B). Giraffes, which are tall and sway their neck.
C). Monkeys, which sort of bounce along (sin work there). See the chicken things with wings in mario.
D). crocodiles (for water). You can walk across them, but only if their mouth is shut.

4). Have a more unique environment. trees, trampolines, fire-spewing holes, water.
5). take a look at mario. He is always at the bottom of the screen, not the middle. And you aren't using anything for the middles.
6). bricks to smash Smile
7). Bosses (I.E. a king lion, Gorilla, evil robot (classic)).
8). animation for jumping.
9). holes in the ground.

That's it again!

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
- Better physics when bouncing off enemies - make the player bounce, not just go straight through.
- Allow the user to not be totally dead on from the top, or redraw the enemies to make them look fatter - the hit detection is not so nice.
- Bosses would be great - the collecting coins is okay, but the sheer number on the 4th level made me go, "wow, that's... a lot of work," and I quit the game. That should not be my reaction.
- Make a little "kapow" when enemies get hit - both audible and visual. Maybe make enemies fall down and out towards the screen, too.

Just some ideas, feel free to use any of them.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.