Burning MyProgram.app bundles on CDs

This may not be a general developer issue, but I'm sure developers have run into this problem while packaging their software. I've run into a problem when creating .DMG files to burn to a CD (to distribute software). I've gone with the recommended way of having the user just copy the MyProgram.app application bundle to their hard drive destination to use.

However, I've often come into problems when dealing with MyFramework.framework files within the MyProgram.app application bundle. The nested aliases which point to themselves within the .framework files seem to pose problems, which prevent copying the MyProgram.app from the cd entirely.

Has anyone run into this, or know what the problem is? Does anyone know of any possible work arounds. Btw, I cannot use Disk Utililty to burn, as I am burning a hybrid CD.

Thanks,
Mad Mark
Quote this message in a reply
I personally use FireStorm from mind vision. Its pretty decent at creating custom disk images and installers that can installed bundled or single files at the users option. Its a bit pricey but saves some time in the long run. I ended up having to write my own installer for looking glass because of its odd installer requirements, but i use the disk image feature to customize it.

If disk ult. fails use toast to burn a hybrid CD.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Well I meant to imply I was using Toast. I said the Disk Utility thing because this post was originally posted on apple.com/support/ I really want to make sure I maintain the whole "just drag the application to the folder" to install type thing.

-mark
Oldtimer
So, do you mean that you have a .app bundle that fails to copy because of nested framework references inside it? That sounds a bit weird to me - if I'm getting you wrong here, please explain and I'll try to help. I think I've sorted out all the levels in bundle hell by now. ;-)
Copying stops on the first (or any I'm assuming) framework. It has something to do with the aliases inside the .framework folders ( which point to themselves ). It's very weird and I've never run into this situation before. It copys okay from .dmg to the hard drive, but not once I burn it.
Oldtimer
That sounds like an issue with Toast rather than the Finder, then... Perhaps you could try the terminal command ln to replace the aliases with hard links and/or symlinks?
Yeah I may just go that route. I just don't know why it was only occurring to me; I thought maybe I was compiling my frameworks wrong, and this was some sort of "gotcha"
UnifiedMac
Unregistered

I'm still getting to know XCode, but might this be caused by compiling your apps under development and not distrobution (or whatever it is)?

-- Maddict