overriding release method

In one of my classes, I have added a release method. It goes something like this:

Code:
-(oneway void)release
{
  // Do some other stuff.

[super release];
}

I know you're probably wondering what the "other stuff" is. Well, this class has a global NSMutableArray to keep a list of all objects of this type. Since the list does a "retain" on objects that are added, I have to remove the object from the list before dealloc will be called. So, I do that in my own release method first.

Is there anything wrong with doing this kind of thing?

[edit] I guess I found out for myself. The release call from the list recursively calls this release method, resulting in an infinite loop. I guess I'll have to use a different method of my own like "free". The only reason I didn't do that in the first place is because I am using these objects as properties with the "retain" attribute, so I only needed to set the property to nil to release it. Looks like I'll have to call my free method instead.
Quote this message in a reply
DoG
You should do this kinda thing in -dealloc, but not in -release. I suggest you go over Cocoa Memory Management again Smile
It's not possible to do it in dealloc because dealloc would never get called since the object is still retained in the array. It's ok, I'm using a free method instead, which handles the release and removes it from the array.
This is most likely what you want: (Trivia: NSPointerArray is not available on the iPhone.)
Code:
//
//  TrackedObject.m
//  WeakTest
//
//  Created by Joe Conway on 11/26/09.
//  Copyright 2009 Big Nerd Ranch. All rights reserved.
//

#import "TrackedObject.h"

static CFMutableArrayRef TrackedObjectList = NULL;

@implementation TrackedObject
+ (void)initialize
{
    CFArrayCallBacks callbacks =
    {
        NULL,
        NULL,
        NULL,
        NULL
    };
    TrackedObjectList = CFArrayCreateMutable(NULL, 0, &callbacks);    
}
+ (id)allocWithZone:(NSZone *)zone
{
    id obj = [super allocWithZone:zone];
        if(obj)
          CFArrayAppendValue(TrackedObjectList, obj);
    return obj;
}
+ (NSArray *)allTrackedObjects
{
    return (NSArray *)TrackedObjectList;
}
- (void)dealloc
{
    int len = CFArrayGetCount(TrackedObjectList);
    int idx = CFArrayGetFirstIndexOfValue(TrackedObjectList, CFRangeMake(0, len), self);
    CFArrayRemoveValueAtIndex(TrackedObjectList, idx);
    [super dealloc];
}
@end

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Overriding protocol methods - possible? muleskinner 1 2,105 Apr 24, 2009 05:54 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook