Need help porting an MMORPG client

Radu
Unregistered

We (the Eternal Lands team) are looking for a programmer that has access (preferably at home) to an OSX machine, and knows C.

Eternal Lands is a relatively successful MMORPG, with over 300 players playing at the same time every day of the week, and more than 400 playing in the weekends. The current record of players online is 466, but we estimate it to increase over 500 by the end of the spring.

Our MMORPG's client is Open Source, and it currently runs fine on pretty much any OS that has OpenGL (Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and other Unix clones), and on any little endian processor.
The libraries used are: OpenGL, SDL, SDL_net, OpenAL, libxml2, and ogg/vorbis, so I don't forsee any problem related to them.

Now, our goal is to find someone to fix the endian stuff so that it can work on big endian CPUs, especially for OSX computers.
If possible, this person should also provide an OSX binary every time we update the game (which is every few months). This is not necesary, but it would be nice.

The payment: The client is an Open Source project, and the game is free. We do make some income, but not enough to pay a good programmer (much less live off the game). However, I can offer some money (~200 USD) for you work.
If you are interested, please reply to this thread, OR, if you want, you can post in our programming forum.

P.S. The other programmers will happily assist you if you have questions, problems, etc.
Thank you,
Radu
Quote this message in a reply
It sounds incredably easy to port. I'll have a look at it this afternoon and tell you how easy it will be. I've managed to port another sdl/gl game to OS X in an afternoon but it didn't do networking.. Well, I'll let you know how I get on.
Radu
Unregistered

The graphic code shouldn't be very hard to port, but the networking code will take a while, because we use a lot of pointer casting in pretty much any command from the server.
If you have any questions, please let us know.
Ok pointer casting of network stuff shouldn't be too much of a problem (unless you use bitfield structs). It's pretty close to compiling at the moment. I am just about to compile cal3d for X. You sure have used a lot of libraries!

Do you have an IRC Channel or some instant message based communication?
Radu
Unregistered

You don't need cal3d right now, it's used only for some development testing (I think by default it doesn't even include it).
Yes, we used a lot of libraries, but most of them are sort of necesary, with the exception of libxml2 (we could have used other ways to read some files, but it was easier this way).
I'll send you a PM for my ICQ number and e-mail address.

[edit]
Hmm, can't send you a PM or e-mail . Please contact me at chaos_rift at yahoo.com
Not sure what's wrong with my email...

So far I've managed to get everything compiling and running properly. Networking isn't working because of endian problems and I'm currently working on making your md2 loader endian happy.
Radu
Unregistered

Great, please let me know of you progress.
Did you manage to identify which parts need changes?
Wow. Everywhere I look you are reading straight in to structs. It's getting really repetative putting in this endian stuff. MD2 works now and everything works fine up untill you press done on the character create screen at which point it crashes while loading the map. I'm in the middle of making the map loading endian happy at the moment.
Radu
Unregistered

Yes, reading from structures is not the most portable thing in the world, but it works fine under most of the cases and it's the fastest way.
BTW, while changing the code, can you please use #ifdef MAC or something like that, so that we can use the same source file to compile for all the platforms?
Luminary
should probably use BIG_ENDIAN, since there are other big-endian platforms (PPC linux, for example) Rasp
Radu
Unregistered

Yes, actually two defines would be needed: MAC and BIG_ENDIAN
The BIG_ENDIAN should be used for endian purposes, and the MAC one for other stuff such as using only one mouse button, the paste code (ctrl+v), and possibly other MAC specific changes.
Don'tknow how to port, but I'd love to beta test it! Grin Can you post a link here when it's done being ported?

Last login: Sat Aug 6 09:15:05 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
Matt-Chelens-Computer:~ matthew$
Radu
Unregistered

Of course Smile
Once it's ported and it's relatively stable, we'll need as many people as we can get to test the new client.
Puzzler183
Unregistered

Raduprv? Well well, when I first saw the MMORPG thing, I was sad for a sec and then I saw Radu and hoped it was you. Good to see you hereSmile.
Radu
Unregistered

Yeah, it's me Smile
Good to see someone I know posting here Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  P2P or Client/Server? TokyoDan 2 4,599 Aug 3, 2009 06:15 AM
Last Post: georgiph
  Client side prediction in a networked top-down game AndyKorth 0 3,872 Jun 30, 2009 08:35 AM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  how does bind() work in relation to a client. BinarySpike 3 4,111 Aug 23, 2006 02:44 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Subversion Client BeyondCloister 8 4,076 Jun 7, 2006 01:04 PM
Last Post: ravuya
  host-client matchmaking "server"... dave05 3 4,253 Sep 15, 2005 04:03 PM
Last Post: Steven