Put a Auto-cam in Top Position

alert
Unregistered

Hello every one...

Any function to:
put automaticaly and exactly a camera (or a view) in top viewer ( in a any model)?
I have some models of a city.. now I want a function o put a camera "exactely" in a top viewer?

Thanks....
Quote this message in a reply
I'd take a look first at the gluLookAt() function. The aruguments
I believe are:

gluLookAt( camera.placedAt.x,
camera.placedAt.y,
camera.placedAt.z, // Camera Position
camera.looksAt.x,
camera.looksAt.y,
camera.looksAt.z, // Where Camera is Aimed
camera.orientation.x,
camera.orientation.y,
camera.orientation.z ); // How Camera is held

but check the Read book on web documentation for details.

Assuming your city is centered around coordinates: 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,

Looking down would be gluLookAt(0.0, variableY, 0.0, 0,0, 0,0, 0,0, 0,0, 1.0, 0.0)

where variableY would be some value > 0.0 which would be the equivalent
of the camera zoom. This should at least get you started.
WhatMeWorry Wrote:Looking down would be gluLookAt(0.0, variableY, 0.0, 0,0, 0,0, 0,0, 0,0, 1.0, 0.0)

This wouldn't quite work, as your up vector is parallel to your look vector. The last three arguments would have to be a vector pointing somewhere on the X and/or Z axis, not the Y axis.

- Alex Diener
alert
Unregistered

ok... I now the "gluLookAt" command ...
but, every time i have a new model in a new position i have to redefine the code.. right?
I really need a rotine or function that analize the model, their cordinates and put automaticaly and exactly a camera (or a view) in top viewer!!!!!
alert
Unregistered

But Thaks .....
Oldtimer
To find the center of a model, add all the vertices together and divide that new vector by the number of vertices in the model.
For instance: you have the vertices: (0, 1, 3), (0, -1, 3), (1, 0, 3). Add them together, and you get: (0+0+1, 1+(-1)+0, 3+3+3) = (1, 0, 3). Divide that vector by three and you get (1/3, 0, 1) which is the center of that model.

Now, you want to use this to position the camera right above the model. To do that, you place it at the same X and Z coordinates as the center of your model. Now you only need to find a suitable Y coordinate to set the height of the camera above your model. This is hard to do, since you need to think about the camera's field of view and so on, but a quick hack is to position the camera at twice the distance to the top-most vertex in the model. To do this, just look through the model's vertices, find the highest (or lowest) Y and place the camera at twice that coordinate. Now you can use the gluLookAt trick above, using the position we've calculated as the camera position.
Hope this helps! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SDL. Current music position e40pud 0 2,264 Mar 9, 2010 08:46 AM
Last Post: e40pud
  Cube auto-rotate sakrist 2 3,029 May 5, 2009 03:31 AM
Last Post: Ingemar
  Object position after rotation charon 11 6,717 Mar 2, 2005 11:33 AM
Last Post: hangt5
  Mouse Position In Fullscreen... thaeez 6 4,360 Nov 5, 2004 02:38 PM
Last Post: thaeez
  Getting position after transformation without drawing? hyn 19 6,996 Aug 6, 2004 02:02 PM
Last Post: kberg