Merged: Direct linking downloads and 3rd Party Site Promotion

DoG
From what I gather, it's not supposed to do that according to the settings, but does it anyway. Bork bork bork.
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
Kwerkx,

I'm not so sure I understand.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Okay, so I posted my game on MacUpdate to try and some more downloads, and MacUpdate decided to completely eat the part of my description about udevgames.

This seems to be a more systematic problem, since the 3rd party sites can always go and find out the 'actual' download link by going through the download process. Maybe we should address this next time by forcing users to the udevgames page by opening the app (though that might piss a lot of people off) or making a dialogue box that you must answer yes or no to that asks you to vote every time you open the app (though I know this may be completely impossible for developers who are using development environments that don't let you use arbitrary system calls/APIs, so maybe a loader program might help- e.g. someone writes a small program that takes you do the udevgame site, then launches the possibly hidden application.) I am also getting the feeling I really boned myself for the Polish portion of my game, which has been educational.
macupdate has been better than MacGameFiles though... they fucked up my game name, they removed my blurb about uDG, and a few other things that irked me bad.
phydeaux Wrote:Okay, so I posted my game on MacUpdate to try and some more downloads, and MacUpdate decided to completely eat the part of my description about udevgames.

This seems to be a more systematic problem, since the 3rd party sites can always go and find out the 'actual' download link by going through the download process. Maybe we should address this next time by forcing users to the udevgames page by opening the app (though that might piss a lot of people off) or making a dialogue box that you must answer yes or no to that asks you to vote every time you open the app (though I know this may be completely impossible for developers who are using development environments that don't let you use arbitrary system calls/APIs, so maybe a loader program might help- e.g. someone writes a small program that takes you do the udevgame site, then launches the possibly hidden application.) I am also getting the feeling I really boned myself for the Polish portion of my game, which has been educational.

People will be able to link to the download however they want. It's the nature of the medium. We only have control over what is downloaded. I think that's the key. Did you see my idea in this threadto help this? What do you think about this instead? (It was earlier in this thread.)

This idea would be easy to implement, and wouldn't require any shady hidden applications and stuff. I wouldn't want people to start crying "spyware" on uDG entries. . . that'd be horrible

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showpost....ostcount=6
http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showpost....ostcount=9

Specifically, here is the mockup
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~czec0035/images/u...mockup.jpg

-Jon
I think it's a great idea to make the iDG readmes more visible in the game folder, but I have a feeling people still will just ignore it. That's why I worry a more forceful solution is the only way, but possibly there are some other possibilities out there. Then again, even if you force people to the website, they may feel even less inclined to vote since they didn't want to be there in the first place. It's a rather difficult problem.
Mentioning door prizes somewhere would help. Smile

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tracking UDG D/L and Promotion igame3d 28 12,913 Mar 14, 2009 06:39 PM
Last Post: igame3d
  Links to uDevGames downloads NCarter 33 19,900 Jul 12, 2005 07:58 PM
Last Post: ardam the third
  Including 3rd party code in source submission NCarter 5 5,213 Nov 22, 2004 10:42 PM
Last Post: aaronsullivan