Choosing a game and a tool

Nibbie
Hi everyone! I'm a new member, glad to have joined you. I have a very newbie-question.

The thing is, I am an ex full-time level designer. I have spent years earlier on level design with Valve's worldcraft/hammer level editor for Half Life and Half Life 2. I created lots of levels, amongst them ; "Half Life : Trespasser" (info : http://www.home.no/elkyboy)

I chose to buy a mac one and a half years ago, but I still haven't found a tool or a game that was as easy as Valve Hammer/worldcraft. What would be the best tool to choose for mac when I'm interested in level design ? (not game design as I have no knowledge about coding whatsoever)

I know a lot's of games are available for mac, but since it is a big market I would really appreciate help from you Smile

Greetings,
ArMEd_Elk
Quote this message in a reply
Unfortunately, just for pure level editing on Mac, there really isn't much that I've seen over the years. GtkRadiant is about all I can think of.
This is something that interests me a bit. I used to have loads of fun creating levels for Duke Nukem. The Build engine's many limitations made it easy and great fun to get into level design, but there was enough scope that people came out with fantastically sophisticated, creative and polished maps.

With today's FPS engines, level design seems to be more about importing and positioning models - not simple either, considering the need to keep assets together and create different versions for the physics and the graphics. I find it tedious and complicated, and now I have a degree in a related field. I think modding was much more approachable in that era, and I'm thankful for that because it's probably part of the reason I'm interested in creating games today.

Not a lot of help to you, I know, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to have a little rant. Smile
Nibbie
Well, all answers are appreciated. Yes, I have to agree ; the easier the better. It seems lot more complicated these days. Still, I cant be lagging back in the future ; have to keep track of todays technology. (but yeah, I agree totally that there was a a whole other feeling when it came to design back then).

I found a program that might be usable, though ; blender. There seems to be an integrated game engine in there, interesting. I'm mostly interested in the design part but of course I would like some bad thugs in there so I could make up a plot as well. What exactly can I use blender for? Will anyone "need my help" with my 3d-modelling skills if I get good at it? (and I will if I spend enough time on it). Also, regarding the moderators reply ; I heard about GTKRadiant, I could use that. Could there be other published games for mac that has an level editor included?

Again, thanks for ur replies so far Smile
Greetings
It's old school but Quake levels can be fun and simple to build by today's standards. There's a relatively new Mac-like editor available too: http://www.wantonhubris.com/toetag/ToeTag.html

I used to be a Quake freak in the old days and still maintain a page with my old mods and links to Mac-friendly engines and other tools: http://quake.chaoticbox.com/
Heh, those are good links for Quake stuff Frank! Didn't know you were that much of a Quake freak. Ninja

I'm actually a little surprised how much it seems Quake 3 gets overlooked as a good engine to use for modern development.

ArMEd_Elk Wrote:I found a program that might be usable, though ; blender. There seems to be an integrated game engine in there, interesting. I'm mostly interested in the design part but of course I would like some bad thugs in there so I could make up a plot as well. What exactly can I use blender for? Will anyone "need my help" with my 3d-modelling skills if I get good at it? (and I will if I spend enough time on it). Also, regarding the moderators reply ; I heard about GTKRadiant, I could use that. Could there be other published games for mac that has an level editor included?

Blender is alright (I prefer Cheetah3D or Maya, personally). Blender is pretty powerful though, and some would argue it is nearly as powerful as Maya (I disagree, but still...). I can't stand Blender's UI, but if you can roll with it, you'd be set! I can't recall hearing of anyone using the game engine part of it to make games though -- at least not on the Mac. Personally I wouldn't bother with its "game thing". Instead, I'd use it just for modeling/animation and look into using Unity, which just recently became free. Unity is a full-on game engine, so it might not be what you're looking for, but there may be those in the Unity community you could hook up with. Unity is really the best thing going on the Mac IMHO.

If you were still willing to use Windows I'd also recommend looking into Unreal, which was just made free like a few days ago. I've heard a few guys say that Unity is much easier to learn and use, but of course Unreal is uber powerful. It seems like Unreal's licensing is kind of crappy over $15k though. Unity is very generous in comparison as far as I can tell. But anyway, that's for Windows, so I realize you'd probably not be interested.
Well said, AnotherJake Smile

A correction on the unreal engine stuff, though: the licensing is $99 USD to get started, no royalties for your first $5,000 in sales, and then 25% of your profit after $5,000.

I've also never heard of anyone using Blender's game engine. The developers of Blender used it to show off some physics stuff, I believe, but that's not really the same thing at all.

ArMEd_Elk: You mentioned you're looking for a project; you're welcome to join awkard-games, if you'd like. I wont pollute this topic talking about the company, but feel free to check us out Smile

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
I love Blender and use it as my main modelling package. Never had any luck with the game engine, but it's very useful for testing how well models in a real-time environment. It might suit people who are already familiar with python.

Yo Frankie! is about the most ambitious project made using the game engine, and the videos on that page look great but performance on my Mac seems pretty poor.
wyrmmage Wrote:A correction on the unreal engine stuff, though: the licensing is $99 USD to get started, no royalties for your first $5,000 in sales, and then 25% of your profit after $5,000.

It appears I got confused whilst reading some blog post on it. Thanks for the clarification. Smile
Nibbie
Quote:Blender is alright (I prefer Cheetah3D or Maya, personally). Blender is pretty powerful though, and some would argue it is nearly as powerful as Maya (I disagree, but still...). I can't stand Blender's UI, but if you can roll with it, you'd be set! I can't recall hearing of anyone using the game engine part of it to make games though -- at least not on the Mac. Personally I wouldn't bother with its "game thing". Instead, I'd use it just for modeling/animation and look into using Unity, which just recently became free. Unity is a full-on game engine, so it might not be what you're looking for, but there may be those in the Unity community you could hook up with. Unity is really the best thing going on the Mac IMHO.

Ah, great. Can't believe Unity just became free, just thought a few weeks ago that it was the best but I just couldn't afford it. Nice that you mentioned. Think that will be my combination then - Blender in combination with Unity. Started to play around with blender a bit now though - have to say that it seems very powerful - especially with it's sculpting feature.

Quote:ArMEd_Elk: You mentioned you're looking for a project; you're welcome to join awkard-games, if you'd like. I wont pollute this topic talking about the company, but feel free to check us out

Nice of you to offer Smile I checked out your website. Do you have any concept art/pictures available?

Quote:It's old school but Quake levels can be fun and simple to build by today's standards.

Ok, cool. One thing I wonder though ; is the full Quake 2 retail version available for download? I only find that "fix" so that it works for mac. Unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to still have a copy of that classic Wink
Huh. I had no idea Blender has sculpting nowadays. I always liked Mud Box, myself....but that's pretty pricey. They have a trial, though.

We do have some concept art for Awkward Games; most of it can be found in the Art/Graphics subforum. Personally, I've always loved the Sylar and Gamma Salvage units. The Alpha Shell is pretty cool, too Smile

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Choosing an IDE guillaume 13 5,285 Jun 10, 2009 02:25 AM
Last Post: Ingemar
  Amateur iPhone / Web Game Developers Get a new Tool for Christmas - TouchLeagueSharp skilesare 1 4,878 Feb 20, 2009 09:41 AM
Last Post: skilesare
  Looking for an easy game creation tool stuntman021 5 6,278 Dec 29, 2005 10:27 AM
Last Post: AlStaffieri