3D models' licenses

I'm using a few quake II format models for a free game I'm about to finish. All of them say "free for non-commercial purposes", so I think it's ok, but:
Some also say "... just send me an email", and since those are really old models, most of the emails bounce back.

Would it be ok to use those models anyway, given that they say "free for non-commercial purposes"?

Also, if I enter my game in a contest, and this contest has prizes, would that be considered "commercial" or "for profit"?

(By the way, eventually I'll end up making my own models, but the 34MB download that is Blender's basic manual froze again, and I really don't have too much time right now... Sad )
Quote this message in a reply
There's no absolute right or wrong here - it all depends upon how generous the original author is feeling (and whether or not they even notice).

If you can't find the creator of something you really want to use, even after thoroughly searching the Internet and asking people at places like PolyCount, your best bet is to put out a public statement (on your website or something) to let the world know that you want to use this model. If the original author happens to see your message, you'll be able to ask them in person; otherwise they'll probably never notice anyway. Whatever happens, if you use their material, credit them properly.

Failing that, you can only play safe and not use the questionable material.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Do this in the game credits and read me and license (copy and paste when you can Smile ) :
Quote:3D Models Courtesy of :
"Model Name"
Person
Contact Their email address (even if bounces for now)
Available from URL where you swiped the files
The uDevGames competition is considered a not-for-profit competition from the developer's point of view. As long as your not "SELLING" the game, then it's considered not-for-profit.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Uh who mentioned uDevGames?
PowerMacX Wrote:Also, if I enter my game in a contest, and this contest has prizes, would that be considered "commercial" or "for profit"?
[/i]

If you win "best models" in a contest, I think the prize is going to belong to someone else.

uDevGames assets can have their own license for use since the contest is about all code.
The contest is not uDG (I haven't started my entry yet, but I'll probably be using many classes from this project). It's a game programing contes here in Argentina (open to residents only) and it finishes this monday (Aug. 31) 6pm.

I plan to include the models' original readmes inside each model folder, as well as credits+links in-game. I decided to limit myself to 4 models wich say "use it for anything non-commercial" or something similar.

The only problem I'm having is that there are 2 models I really like (Fuel4.46 & Waste), made by Jeff Garstecki ("Stecki"), wich say that, but also say "use it on any free project as long as a single email hits my mailbox" or something similar. I sent him an email and it didn't bounce back, but I didn't receive a response either. Sad

I searched him on Google and the only address I could find is the one I used "his shortname" @ frag.com, and now I checked the website link he put in the readme (http://www.frag.com/deconstruct) and it doesn't work. Sad

Edit: I just found a new email address dated 2002, hopefully this one will work Smile
Edit2: ok, so stecki@quakerally.com didn't work:

Code:
The original message was received at Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:28:49 -0600 (MDT)
from ns-1.net [200.68.192.242]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<stecki@quakerally.com>
    (reason: Can't create output)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
procmail: Quota exceeded while writing "/var/mail/stecki"
550 5.0.0 <stecki@quakerally.com>... Can't create output

Anyone knows another address I could try? (my email: powermacxNoSpAmNoooo@yahoo.com)
I tried 2 other emails and they bounced back. Cry

Now, I found a Stecki on a car-racing site's forum so I had to register to be able to send him a pm, I hope that he is the same Stecki!
I finally found him (on the forum) and got his permission. Now, all I have to do is finish the game AND make a windows installer AND test it on a PC AND upload it to a server & a mirror before monday 6pm Shock

I've been awake 25 hs now, having spent yesterday's night & today's morning coding... OK, I made two 45 minutes breaks to watch Argentina's football (ok, soccer) team WIN A GOLD MEDAL!!! The first gold medal for Argentina after 52 YEARS!!!

I'm planing on another break this afternoon, hopefully Argentina's basketball team will get a gold medall too (we kicked USA's ass Rasp yesterday)
PowerMacX Wrote:hopefully Argentina's basketball team will get a gold medal too

Grin Gold! Gold! After 52 years!

OK...

So... I finally didn't enter my game in the contest (long version: http://www.createmacgames.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=333) and I'm considering turning it into my uDG entry. Since the game hasn't been made public (no matter how hard I tried, see link above) it would be ok, right?