Suggestions for online High Scores

Apprentice
Hey guys,

Just a quick question,

I want an to have a way for our game users to submit their high scores online. Its a way to compare all the different high scores that people are getting.

Do any of you have a recommendation on how to do this? Is it as simple as having a web service on our web page that would save the data or do we need to do something different?

Thanks,
Quote this message in a reply
Yes - The easiest way is to have some kind of server side web service listening for and xml data submission containing score information.

Ruby, Perl, Java, .Net, PHP - any data-enabled web platform will work
EndeavorBros Wrote:Hey guys,

Just a quick question,

I want an to have a way for our game users to submit their high scores online. Its a way to compare all the different high scores that people are getting.

Do any of you have a recommendation on how to do this? Is it as simple as having a web service on our web page that would save the data or do we need to do something different?

Thanks,

People are crafty though, so include some kind of encryption/fraud prevention methods. Otherwise you'll find people suddenly achieving unrealistic scores and ruining the experience for everyone else.
There are quite a few free services you can integrate now.

OpenFeint, ScoreLoop, Cocos2d has a high score service as well.

They are all pretty trivial to do, OpenFeint and ScoreLoop both took less than 20 minutes to get up and running.
For the multiplayer part of my Turn-Based Strategy Game, I'd like players to be able to compete against each other and gain ranks (basically like the multiplayer part Warcraft III or Battle for Wesnoth).

As I understand I have to write the server where players can open Multiplayer Matches and Join Open Games myself, since the Options mentioned above (OpenFeint, ScoreLoop, Cocos2d) only support pure Highscore-Updates and Viewing of Highscores.

Anybody here knows an easy way how to achieve a Multiplayer-Server? (easy meaning with minimum time effort)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Saving scores for facebook users to compare with their friends roguekiwi 4 9,936 Sep 13, 2011 09:01 PM
Last Post: roguekiwi
  Where does Doodle Jump store scores? (maybe facebook) riruilo 3 6,560 Mar 15, 2010 03:13 PM
Last Post: riruilo
  Online high scores and similar Madrayken 12 6,253 Aug 6, 2009 01:54 PM
Last Post: morten795
  Resetting high scores / "Slide To ..." control daveh84 2 2,457 Jul 10, 2009 10:28 AM
Last Post: imikedaman