Advance Wars Online?

guardian1102
Unregistered

For those of you who doesn't own a GBA (GameBoy Advance) and are not familiar with the game "Advance Wars", I'd suggest visiting Gamespot's review of this game. Below are the links of the two sequals of the game:

Advance Wars
Advance Wars II

I've been playing these games for a couple of months now and one day, while I was playing AW, I've thought up of the idea of playing it online. Being a simple turn based strategy game like chess, I don't see why it would be difficult to develop an online version of this game (or at least a copy-cat of this game) for the PC platform.

Why a PC platform?
So far, most online games are played through the PC (with the exception of console games, eg. X-Box, PS2, Gamecube). So I figured out since most gamers nowadays have a PC and access to the Internet at home, a PC owner can easily purchase/download this game without having to buy other game platforms (GBA and the new Nintendo's DS in particular).

Why Online?
As a GBA owner, I find that this game highly addictive and enjoyable. But after playing AWI & AWII against computer opponents, I find that this game can get too predictably and sometimes too easy to play. Also the option of playing with the "single-pak" and the "multi-pak" option is a bit tedious. Why? Because you'd need to:
1) Get opponent player/s to be in the same room with you
2) Players need to either own their own GBA and the same game OR pass the single GBA back and forth to players

Also, the option of playing online through the PC bring up several advantages:
1) Players can play over the net anytime of the day 24/7 against other international players
2) Match wits against your opponents and show-off your ranking TO THE WORLD
3) Be famous (or infamous)
4) Make this game internationaly recognise (like Warcraft III series) rather then playing alone or with a small group of people
5) Updates keep the game fresh with new units/map/COs/etc
6) Multiplayerbility brings world peace (or at least have fun beating opponents thousands of miles away)
7) Cooperate with online buddies beating opponents to make your way to the top
8) Players with slow dial-up modem can play too without lags (because its turn-based and doesn't require too much graphics to play, w00t!)
9) Mobility of game is not effected to notebook/laptop owners with wireless Internet connection
10) Create your own maps/COs and test them out

Game Concept
The game will probably have the same concept as the GBA version (units/maps/COs) with the adition of:
1) Online Multiplayer option
2) Regional Battles where players choose several factions from Orange Star to Black Hole to invade and defend territories
3) Online Ranking where players with the highest score get to be the top and let players play against others with their same ranking (eg. Beginers VS Beginers, Pros VS Pros)
4) Build/Customize CO where players starts out with weak COs and be able to upgrade/customize their CO's with special powers from Hachi's Shop
5) Hachi's Shop where players get to spend their hard earned cash from battles to purchase different maps or COs or add different CO Powers/CO Super Powers or unit bonuses (eg. armour/firepower/movement/etc)
6) Custom Battles where players get to choose to play their own map design and set their own rules to win those maps (eg. capturing enemy headquaters, destroy certain units to win, etc.)

Well, thats all for now, I hope some game designers out there would pick up this idea and make it to reality. Also I'd like to hear comments of this idea (positive/negative) and ways to probably make this good idea better Smile
Quote this message in a reply
By "PC" do you mean Windows, or all of the personal computing world?
guardian1102
Unregistered

Well, I wasn't aware that this site was meant for Mac users (I happened to Google this site) that is until I've posted my idea and went to the main page Blink . So anyway, I originaly intended for this game for Windows, but then again, why not Mac too? Smile
If you don't do mac too, i'll eat you Ninja Ok, not really, but I love this game, and it would be awesome. You would need to contact the originators though, so you don't get sued. Or, you will need original artwork etc. But, do you have any experience with this? Posting, I think this would be a cool game to make will get you flamed. I see you have it planned, but people need more. They need a design document etc. They want money. I doubt you want to make this all by yourself. I considered making this once, but realised I would need a team and it was a huge project. I don't know, posting that it would be a cool game doesn't do anything. Like I like to say, Cutting bread with bread, cuts not bread. (or something like that)

Alex
So, how about you go learn a programming language and make it yourself?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Sounds like a cool idea, just make sure you come out with a Mac version. Wink
Unfortunately for you, all of us developers have our own game ideas and (surprise surprise) we prefer to develop our own over others. This comes up again and again; you really can't expect something like this to just happen unless you invest in a lead role (such as head developer) yourself. And don't feel offended if you get flamed, skyhawk is just around the corner... Rolleyes

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
eekaydee
Unregistered

Guardian: Heh, you're not the only one who thought about and wished there were an online Advance Wars. Actually though, I never considered making it myself. I've never been a fan of cloning games, not to mention plain stealing them. But maybe I should give it some thought.

And yes, watch out for skyhawk, our very own MMORPG dream crusher. LOL
Actually you guys, I don't see anything in guardian's post about him wanting to be the leader of the development at all; looks to me like he's just offering an idea hoping to see it made one day.
Yeah, but unfortunately, he might get flamed anyway. You understand it's an idea, I understand it's and idea, but do some people understand it's just an idea. And, anyone who made this would have to get permission, and lose about 50% of the money they make. I think only the original developer could, and he would probably only make it for windows. I would love to see it though.

Alex
sam
Unregistered

Why don't you play it on gba over the internet? I read something about a wifi gba somewhere.

But if you clone it and don't sell it Smile you will probably be fine. Look at freeciv
Right, that's the problem. If you want to see this game developed, someone's going to need to organize it. And that person's going to either want to see it done very badly (as you do) or is going to want money for their time. It may be a very good idea (I don't know; I've never played the game in question, although some of my friends really like it), but it won't develop itself. Your best bet may be to corral a friend of yours who does know how to program (I'll assume you don't by the tone of your post) and get that person really involved. Then other people may jump on the boat later.

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
guardian1102
Unregistered

Well, frankly, I'm just a normal average gamer. I neither have a clue of how to make my own games nor any knowledge of computer programing, I just play whatever other people have made. If I do have some knowledge of designing and making my own games, and the opportunity to make one, this would be the one that I'd like to make. But sadly, I don't. What I do can and want to do is to share this idea to possible game makers who'd have the skills and knowledge and the interest to make one. I don't expect to make any money from this idea, nor do I expect some sort of royalty or copyright of this simple idea. All I want is to at least share my thoughts of this idea and hope that someone out there will make it. Heck, I'd even pay for it if they'd ever charge for playing it cause I just love it Smile

Quote:Posting, I think this would be a cool game to make will get you flamed

Please don't flame me Cry
I don't think anybody did.... Lucky skyhawk doesn't seemto pay attention.

Alex
eekaydee
Unregistered

Sam, do you mean the new GBA DS? That looks so awesome. And yes, it has wireless network play. But I would think the games have to be specifically designed for net.

I'll keep this idea in mind, though I myself would simplify it to the point at which I think it can be made (All units represented by colored rectangles, terrain represented by larger rectangles, Wink ) But I'll worry about that after I finish my vector game.
And, of course, (I think this was mentioned earlier) anyone developing this had better have a really good team of lawyers to fend off the inevitable lawsuits from whatever company develops the GBA version...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Avance Wars Online SUPJC89 1 3,484 Oct 25, 2004 06:18 PM
Last Post: Josh