Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation

Luminary
Starts now, lasts a week (until around Oct 30, depending on your time zone). Go.

(Time and/or space manipulation like Braid, Portal, etc. -- something outside the usual laws of the universe).

Usual IRC Mini-contest rules apply -- no prizes, peer judging by forum poll, have fun, stop by the IRC channel to show off your progress. irc://irc.freenode.net#idevgames.
Quote this message in a reply
Cool I'll see if i can hack somethin up

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
I'm gonna have a go at entering.

Dunno about the existing source code policy, but I'm planning to use my sprite class and FBO class. You can download them if you want, but it's all in-progress code so I don't recommend using them.

My idea so far is "2d physics with areas of slowed time". I'll see if I can find a way to make that fun.
Scott and I will be trying *something* for a day this week.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
I'm going to sleep now. If I don't get a chance to work on it tomorrow, here's my entry: http://www.maximile.net/stuff/Sectors2.app.zip

Requires 10.5 Intel at the moment.

I'd have liked it to be more of a game than a broken tech demo, but never mind. Source to come tomorrow. The only "space manipulation" is in the green room.
Okay, I'm giving up. I rewrote the "portal" drawing code but it didn't fix the bug and now I'm out of ideas. Here's the source, feel free to do anything with it: http://www.maximile.net/stuff/Sectors.zip

You can build it and have a look but it's hardly different from the one above.

Even though I didn't finish a minigame, I'm really pleased with the result. If I were to do more work on it, I'd definitely want to make an editor because typing the coordinates into a .plist takes a lot of time.

Some things learned:

1. Chipmunk works great as in a simple FPS-style game. Vertical motion obviously has to be handled separately, but with a bit more refinement it could easily be as good as, say, Duke Nukem.

2. gluTesselator does a nice, fast job of dealing with non-convex polygons. It's a bit tricky to work with the output when you're not drawing straight to OpenGL though.

3. Not having to work with image files and models helped to get me started much more quickly. OneSadCookie's NSViewTexture was a big help getting some decoration in there.

I also learned about 3D cameras, stencil buffers, clip planes, and all sorts of new (to me) OpenGL stuff.

So thanks for the motivation, looking forward to seeing what anyone else comes up with. And thanks to everyone who helped/encouraged me on IRC too.
Luminary
I think maximile wins by default, unless Andy can find what he did... I suffered from lack of ideas and lack of motivation.
Well, unless Andy pops in with something, here's a pre-congrats for you maximile!

Too bad there weren't more entries. I *almost* joined in on this one but I just have way too much I'm working on right now. Maybe this contest can be relaunched at some point in the future.
I didn't really have time, or ideas.

I just know there's a game I can make about that…

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Heh, this was the one contest where I actually had an idea to try out. Figures I didn't have enough "time" either... Rasp
Sage
Oh, whoops. I guess we never posted our game in the forums.

http://files.slembcke.net/temp/TimeBunkerGame.tgz

Basically, your base (made of circles) has been invaded by a swarm of circle enemies that are destroying your circular power cores. When they destroy the last power core, it creates a time rift, sending you back to a few seconds before the last core is destroyed. If you can save that core and yourself, time will warp again and give you a chance to save the next core as well. This continues happening until you've saved all the power cores.

WASD to move, space to fire. Save the big circles from the little circles. The game will freeze up for a bit every time that it has to "rewind" time. This is because it's actually just running the game forward from the start as fast as it can until it reaches the target time. Never got around to caching the state so it would only have to do it once at startup.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Luminary
I have to say, that description of the gameplay really doesn't match my experience.

What appears to happen is, I shoot some of the things for an arbitrary amount of time, after which the game says "Power Core 2 Saved!", beachballs for some time, and then puts me in an arbitrary place in the level with enemies some arbitrary distance "behind" me in the spiral. Rinse, repeat ad infinitum.
I don't *quite* get the gameplay but I seem to recall that I got it to say core 4 was saved. Then it kept putting me back in the same place over and over. Seems pretty neat though.
Sage
Well, time is supposed to be jumping around you so you are not moving, but everything else is. Each jump, a new power core should appear that is about to be destroyed.

The idea seems sort of neat, but the execution was a bit rushed. I didn't feel we really had enough time explore it enough. Oh well, we only spent a day on it though. As is, it's certainly pretty confusing.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Yeah, I think nothing is really terribly clear in what we slapped together. I threw in that narrative text last minute, but it does not quite cut it. I think a few losing conditions regarding losing power cores might not be in there.

I think the core idea works- if it was illustrated better, especially if we could animate time going backwards. It would be more clear. You can't really tell that the time jumps are bringing you back further, it's just not clear.

In actuality, you are jumping back in time by leaps and then playing forward the length of that time. This is kind of neat in that you are defeating the same wave of enemies several times, just earlier in time. You're beating back a legion through time.

But yeah, like Scott said, it's not quite there.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 5,246 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  Time for a new contest Carlos Camacho 7 7,391 Mar 15, 2010 06:48 AM
Last Post: Ingemar
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 21,229 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,833 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball