same deal as last year

Ah, thank you! I was dying for a better analysis than mine. No sarcasm.Grin

And the results are much more interesting than my own. Especially since the correct way showed that polish is in fact very closely related to the overall score.
Quote this message in a reply
Hmm... after reading that link you posted, I saw that squaring the correlation coefficient would give the percentage of variation. I don't really understand why you have to square it. The values look like percentages already, but, trusting what that page said, I did this so I could more easily understand the results.

Relationships Between Each Category:
Code:
Gameplay  Graphics  Original  Polish
Gameplay  x            
Graphics  59.8%     x        
Original  26.7%     15.1%     x    
Polish    79.6%     84.1%     20.3%     x
Sound     68.7%     65.4%     25.1%     80.1%

Relationships Between Categories and Overall
Code:
Gameplay  85.2%
Graphics  81.4%
Original  40.6%
Polish    92.2%
Sound     86.1%

Same results as yours (of course... I used yours). I just find these easier to interpret.
Yes, you are right... percentages are *much* easier to interpret. So if your polish was ALL 5's across the board, there is a 92% chance that your overall score would also be a 5. Of course, good luck getting everyone to give you a perfect polish score :-) Anyway, I believe it -- if a game is good enough that *everyone* thought it deserved a 5 in polish, then every other category (with the possible exception of originality) is probably also that good. Thanks, geezusfreeek :-)
shocking that originality counts for so little - and that sound counts more than graphics or even gameplay. Go fig.
Quote:Originally posted by codemattic
shocking that originality counts for so little - and that sound counts more than graphics or even gameplay. Go fig.

I think people are misinterpreting these numbers :-)

This does not say that to get your overall score we multiply originality by 0.4, you sound by 0.86, etc....

All it means is that if you look at two games with an overall rating of 18, one may have a sound score 24% higher than another game with an overall rating of 18.
So with originality, all this tells us is that knowing a person's originality score does little to help us predict the overall score in the contest. Whereas knowing a person's polish score tells us that his overall score is likely within +/- 8% of a certain overall score.

These numbers are interesting, yes. But maybe not as useful as some of us want them to be Smile

All values count exactly the same -- 20% -- when computing the overall score!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who's entered the ADC design awards this year? princec 16 7,685 May 14, 2008 06:25 AM
Last Post: MattDiamond