League management game

Founder
I've been thinking of working on a soccer (football) league simulator, much like "Championship Manager 4." Why, when that game is so good? Just for fun, education, and to learn a new IDE.

Based on the way CM4 works, I think iShell or RuntimeRev would be perfect solutions for dev tool.

I've been a little on how league managers work. In terms of keeping track of players, games, schedules, leagues, that should be like standard DB work. However, I am wondering how the "game engines" work in league managers. Anyone have any clue?

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
you are more than welcome to take my uDG entry and make it a manager thing Rasp
Of course it will have a simple manager so you can see how your team does against others and how your players rank against others... man... so many plans....
Founder
Well, I do intend to dabble with your game once the contest is over. It might be possible to remove the graphics, and just run the game internally with two AIs to determine the outcome. But I am more interested in the game engine in terms of simulation than arcade.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
Not really. That is a program to keep track of stats. I'm talking about a game like Championship Manager. Think simulation. Up until recently, most management games didn't have much graphics. Though CM has a 2D match engine to allow you to watch how your players perform, and how the goals take place. But most of the "action" goes on behind the scenes.

i.e. You buy players, trade players, set formations, and so on. The key is on the simulation and watching your team advance rather than quick reflexes of arcade type games.

I did find some interesting stuff to think on here:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~trb/soccer/README

That is ASCII Soccer readme (A better version is the JAVA ASCII Soccer app)
Anyhow, for a non-graphic game, it could server as a basis for a management match engine.

Time to visit some AI pages...

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
athomson
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
But I am more interested in the game engine in terms of simulation than arcade.

Take a look at the RoboCup simulation league (source code for each of the winning teams should also be available). It's probably far beyond what you want but it could be useful as a "how did they do that" reference.

Andrew.
Founder
Good advice. I HAVE been looking at it. Smile

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Network game: how to handle turn game (like ruzzle management) sefiroths 2 2,475 Aug 2, 2013 01:12 AM
Last Post: sefiroths