Networking

How do you do netcode that works in OS 9 and X without using Openplay? I just tried it for a while and decided it is not good for my project (slow, buggy, etc.)
Quote this message in a reply
OpenTransport is a pain in the buttocks to use, but its the only thing which gets the job done on both OS X and OS 9 (IMHO).

Cheers,
Rocco
Luminary
You may be able to find a socket layer which works on top of Open Transport but presents the standard interface. I think I saw such a thing at one point, but I don't know how good it was or what it was called...
Quote:Originally posted by KittyMac
OpenTransport is a pain in the buttocks to use, but its the only thing which gets the job done on both OS X and OS 9 (IMHO).

Cheers,
Rocco

I would suggest open heart surgery before Open Transport.... less painful
Hmm... do you know of any good links to info about 3d netcode in general, or examples of Open Transport or Openplay in a real-time game?
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/200103...ano_01.htm

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/200005...ier_02.htm

For an OpenTransport example, check out The Belt's source code from last year. It wrappers OpenTransport and WinSock calls for both UDP and TCP.

Finally, there was another gamasutra article which I remember reading but couldn't readily find. It was a postmortem for one of the StarWars flight sim games. One good point from that was to get around the unreliable nature of UDP, they send the past 10 or so UDP packets each time (so for the pcket which represent timestamp n they send n, n-1, n-2, n-3, etc all together). This way if one or two packets get lost the other computer can get them the next time it receives a packet without having to bug the client for a resend, etc... Neat idea, never tried it out myself.

Cheers,
Rocco
Luminary
There's a good description of how Unreal Tournament's networking works... I found it just the other day and gave the link to someone on the chat room...

hmm.

ah, here:

http://unreal.epicgames.com/Network.htm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Various BSD Networking Questions wyrmmage 25 10,972 Jul 30, 2007 05:09 AM
Last Post: unknown
  Newbie networking - just dl'ing data from an URL... sealfin 4 3,586 Apr 19, 2007 07:01 AM
Last Post: sealfin
  Good networking library Ummon 5 4,565 Jan 22, 2007 11:59 PM
Last Post: akb825
  Simple networking? CarbonX 13 7,311 Apr 7, 2005 12:36 AM
Last Post: Andrew
  Saving a Place for Networking Roosterhouse 3 4,066 Aug 6, 2004 02:05 PM
Last Post: FCCovett