Arcade/simple game ideas request

Quote:Originally posted by Bachus
Best side-scrolling helicopter game ever: Armor Alley. (Dang, I can't find my copy)

mac.the-underdogs.com

Yeah, Armor Alley ruled/rules! Me and my friend was really great at playing the game in co-op mode.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Quote this message in a reply
death_himself
Unregistered

Just wondering, Aarku, has there been any particular game that you're interested in doing, yet? I'm quite excited at an arcade game for udevgame Smile ...well, the ones which have been mentioned I remember liking Smile .
Quote:Originally posted by Bachus
Where's a good Mac Missile Command clone?

I'm not sure good and Missile Command can be used in the same sentence.
Quote:Originally posted by death_himself
Just wondering, Aarku, has there been any particular game that you're interested in doing, yet? I'm quite excited at an arcade game for udevgame Smile ...well, the ones which have been mentioned I remember liking Smile .

Nope, no decisions yet. There are a couple ideas we are focusing on now, writing up more on their gameplay. We will have an idea and design doc done for the start of August.

As for development, we are now seriously considering PyGame. Looks like it could give us the quickest dev time, but on the downside 2 out of 3 of us haven't used it before. So that or C++ and SDL. Python seems easy to jump right into, though. Network play is definitely out, but there is still a possibility of a high-scores server. The game will be open sourced, guessing free as well then. And entered in uDevGame.

Again thanks for the ideas so far! Would anyone be willing to explain Armor Alley a little? I haven't ever heard of it, and it is hard to find information on it. This is the best I've found: http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId,101/

-Jon
Luminary
I'd recommend Ruby and the Ruby SDL bindings over Python and the Python SDL bindings (PyGame). Ruby's a nicer language, and I've got a PB Project set up which is nicer to work with than the PyGame distro.

It's much more productive coding in Ruby or Python than in C++, though, so I'd definitely recommend that route Smile
death_himself
Unregistered

Aarku, why didn't you try playing Armor Alley? It was on the mac abandonware site someone gave you Smile ...here's the address for the game itself, ignore the reviews, just play it http://mac.the-underdogs.org/?show=game&id=198 . And I do believe it actually is abandonware, as in, legal to download the full version and play.

I've never heard of Ruby...it reminds me of PokÈmon for some reason, anyway, I tried pygame ages ago and never could install it, I guess thats due to my stupidity though. I'ma check out Ruby Smile .
Luminary
Quote:Originally posted by death_himself
And I do believe it actually is abandonware, as in, legal to download the full version and play.

It's not legal to download the full version and play unless the owner of the rights has put that in writing, and since the owner of the rights is probably a company long-disintegrated, those rights are never likely to be granted.

The other side of that coin is that they're unlikely to be enforced, of course Wink

That doesn't make it any more legal, though.
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
It's not legal to download the full version and play unless the owner of the rights has put that in writing, and since the owner of the rights is probably a company long-disintegrated, those rights are never likely to be granted.

The other side of that coin is that they're unlikely to be enforced, of course Wink

That doesn't make it any more legal, though.

Yup, thats all true(what you said OSC) but I know that some games on mac.the-underdogs.org are legal to download, since the developer supports abondonware etc(I've talked to him). Still, its very often pirating even though perhaps the original developer don't care etc.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
death_himself
Unregistered

Oh, crikey, I thought all the games on that site had the developers agree to them being free, I actually thought that was the premise of the site. Apologies. I think I still possibly prefer rescuing people rather than killing people, and I think a modern game with that concept would be great Smile .
nickdabner
Unregistered

If you do think about a side scroller game like armour alley, perhaps consider an Apple IIe/gameboy game from Broderbund called Wings of Fury. It is much the same, except you are a lone pilot flying a P51 or something similar. It was a destroy and 2D dogfight game, but the idea was good. If you mix Armour Alley (also known as Rescue Raiders) and Wings of Fury, you would have a great little title.

There are also many options to blowing things up - consider having to transport items around quickly for a construction effort, the need to move people around and task orientated games.

The good thing is that something like the above could be done reasonably quickly, yet provides some scope for future improvements such as networking, levels and other improvements.

ND
Since someone mentioned a Donkey Kong clone:
Miner2049

I Used to play on the Atari 600.
Its a 2d platformer, in a mine shaft of radioactive mutants.
You are on a timer, as the radiation build up in each level is going to fry you, in a rather enteraining melting like
pancake batter hitting the frying pan expand contract effect.

The game had speed settings which effect how far and fast you can jump, which increased the challenge. Once you got used to ultra fast play, there was simply no turning back to the easy stuff.

Are you doing 3D? I've been thinking of a 3D version of Star Castle. Star Wars death star battle meets breakout ... or Tron vs. the MCP with a spaceship.

Since I mentioned the Sand People on the Pod race track in Danlab's game, turn the tide in your own game.
You are "Racetrack Trophy Hunter" : FPS with cool sniper weapons, weather effects and space law enforcers hot on your Racetrack Sniping Tech Stealing Alien Arse.
Kind of like a duck hunt but with raging fast psuedo space vehicles.

While we are turning the tide: Space Invaders Strike Back.
RTS where you play the alien menace surrounding human colonies and trying to teach them useful attack patterns while the puny humans defend themselves against attack.
It would be visually more interesting to use Phoenix, with high resolution graphics though ... all your alien Phonecian ships could have nice fiery atmosphere re-entry particles...well for as long as they aren't being smashed by those roving land based missile bases.

Someone made the "Cow Catching Game" for OS X when it first came out.

How about "Evil Alien Scientist", tractor, capture, examine and plant your alien DNA into various forms of humans and Animals, then witness the consequences of your actions: Alien Modified Bubba starts a "doomsday cult" Oops Kool-Aid Cocktails kill them all (Homeworld would get mad), Modified Air Force Pilot make a light speed jump to your homeworld, bringing with him the deadly plaque of male pattern baldness (homeworld is really mad now!), Hmm what's this "mosquito" thing? How's it react to "alien serum 119421?" ...Eeek you've created the 1,000 foot tall swarm lord of skeeters! Lots of ridiculous alien fantasies could be played out with plenty of help for the paranoids and kooks with their fears readily available for exploitation on various websites.

Oh...and I don't know if we went over SimDeath in other threads. But watch Final Destination 1 and 2. There is a game begging to be made. Play death and try your best to wipe out as many of some bunch of people per level with the tools and objects at hand. Click an object get some options related to it like : Light Bulb > drop paper towel on light bulb. Fishing Line> Pull across doorway. MicroWave > break turn off switch.
Oh the devilish possibilities.
This could probably work as a unique text adventure.

Ok All Idea'd out.

ooh wait just came up with another one.
You know all the SimCities, and such games that you build a world of happy citizens and successful empires?
Well this one is based on the Republican Party:
Masters of Misery:
The game AI does all the work of building global welfare and peace, and you actively work against it.
Game Goals:
Impoverish all government social services
Veto all environmental protections
Raise the cost of everything
Imprison the population
Flood the country with drugs
Arm the lawless masses
You get a list of "Emergency Powers" that enable you a
complete dictatorship, and you must find devious ways of gaining those powers and taking civil liberty's away from all those pesky voters.
Ever 4 levels or so a vote comes up and you must find some way to manipulate and circumvent the real opinion of voters, like: Sell weapons to hostile nations, then start a war. Fix all the voting machines. Ensure that your family and friends are in every office that makes the final decision.

There's plenty of research material and fine examples of options on the internet. Could call the game "uBush"
Nibbie
Quote:Originally posted by skyhawk
top down style quake!! I would kill for this Grin

EDIT: Networked of course

I have one planned after Gunslinger Chronicles. Probably in OGL with a WarIII style scroll weel feature Grin . Somewhat more scifi. A lot more like Deus Ex with a Diablo style wepons/levels system.
Quote:Originally posted by skyhawk
top down style quake!! I would kill for this Grin

EDIT: Networked of course

I will send you a list of people I need eliminated. When I recieve their heads as evidence, I will start coding.
Chingwa
Unregistered

Miner 2049er! I spent days at a time playing that game! Getting the perfect run, jump, patterns down... wow was that fun! I had forgotten all about that little gem. Grin
CaptKevMan
Unregistered

Bonanza Bros. was a favorite of mine back in the late 80's/early 90's. Basically, it was a couple of capsule-shaped guys (early "Rayman-itis") who went pilfering loot through other people's houses or museums or banks or whatever, trying to avoid the cops, mostly...but occasionally, I think there was a sleeping dog or screaming neighbor or something like that.

Might be fun to see an updated version of something similar...multiplayer option being that one player plays the invader/burglar, while the other player plays the homeowner/security guard...or it can be a competitive grab-fest...whoever grabs the most loot wins.

I dunno...just an idea... Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Simple Network Game jpiabrantes 0 826 May 2, 2014 04:06 AM
Last Post: jpiabrantes
  New Game Ideas? Le Muck 18 14,833 Dec 20, 2009 12:58 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  Request for "So you want to make an MORPG" Oddity007 0 2,497 Apr 21, 2009 04:43 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  Game Ideas: Your Thoughts Man With No Name 16 8,774 Mar 10, 2008 08:15 PM
Last Post: JustinFic
  Game ideas muffins91 6 4,939 Aug 2, 2007 07:53 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake