Using Pygame or Python?

Scoops
Unregistered

A while back I remember reading an article about Python and was really interested in seeing it work. I forgot about it and just recently I stumbled across pygame which, at first sight, seems an ideal dev environment.

So far, I have seen very little about it being used but surely someone here uses it or have used it in the past. I need your opinions, is it a good language to use or am I wasting my time in trying? Bear in mind that any programming I have done so far has been in BASIC so is learning a new language like this going to be a nightmare?

Any comments would be welcome.

Cheers.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
I have to say, I recommend Ruby over Python. Ruby has SDL bindings which work on the Mac, so PyGame isn't really that big of a deal.

That said, if you want to try PyGame you can get some prebuilt binaries for an old version from the PyGame website. My experience is that it doesn't yet build cleanly from source.

If you're interested in Ruby, I can send you the SDL, OpenGL and 3D Math library bindings and a project which sets everything up.
What exactly is PyGame? I've played with Python a little, but I've never heard of this.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Luminary
PyGame is Python bindings for SDL, OpenGL, and a couple of other game-related libraries.
Founder
OSC, is this soemthing (your stuff) that might be good to host here for others? Providing it isn't 400MB in size. Smile

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Luminary
There's not really very much there, it's scarcely worth it. All it really is is prebuilt binaries of the freely-available Ruby libraries, and a Project Builder project & main.c file to tie it all together. The libraries weren't terribly difficult to build, the main.c isn't rocket science, it just seems there's not much point in someone doing it again...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Python for games? DEV_JS 2 2,385 Apr 12, 2013 05:15 PM
Last Post: Evan Stallings
  Python Compiler wyrmmage 3 3,955 Jul 30, 2009 10:14 PM
Last Post: wyrmmage
  Very stupid question about Python on OS X Durandal 10 8,218 Dec 17, 2008 09:33 AM
Last Post: Duane
  pygame or lingo? hertzcastle 6 4,270 Mar 19, 2008 01:13 AM
Last Post: hertzcastle
  pygame framework foosh 0 2,276 Feb 29, 2008 02:09 AM
Last Post: foosh