Objective C and game development

Nibbie
I have a little problem. I am looking for a Objective C game development framework. I want to make mac games/2D applications and maybe iPhone. For now I don't need multiplatform support but it could be useful. I am an iPhone developer so I know objective C (I make utility apps so no graphics), but I also know Java. I also have some basic experience with C++ (no objective programming or pointers - just functions, structures, arrays...). What I want to make now is actualy an application that needs 2D graphics. I tryed open GL but it is hard to learn and maybe overkill. I can't use software for making games that supports scripting because it is too limited for some of my ideas. So basicly what I need is an mac OS framework for making games.
Quote this message in a reply
Perhaps SDL? It's a cross-platform C framework, so it's just functions and structs at its core, but you could write something in Objective-C that utilizes SDL with no trouble at all. SDL even comes with a prebuilt framework for OS X, so it's pretty easy to incoprorate into your project. Plus, SDL has OpenGL support, so if you ever decide that you do want to move to OpenGL for graphics, you can do so with (most likely) minimal effort. And I think I heard somewhere that you can use SDL for iPhone apps, but I'm not sure about this.

One major drawback that I can think of is that SDL is more of a multimedia/graphics library, so it's not really an actual game development framework. In other words, it has no provisions for sprite management, collision detection, and so forth. So while it sounds like SDL would be perfect for the app you want to make now, it might not be the most ideal framework if you ever want to use an actual game development framework sometime in the future.

And for the record: as for generalized game frameworks, I've heard some good things about ClanLib. It's a cross-platform C++ game development library. It's pretty hefty, though, and it did seem a little bloated when I tried it. Nevertheless, I haven't used it much, so I can't say much more than that.

Since when was "Fred" a placeholder variable?
⌘-R in Chief
A game "framework" generally is referred to as a game "engine." There are all different kinds/levels of game "engine." Which (if any) you would use, depends on what you plan to do.

Games generally 1) receive player input, 2) render graphics, and 3) play audio, which can all be done perfectly fine without any kind of game engine. Tic-tac-toe and most puzzle games certainly don't need a game engine.

The first thing you should do when making a game is define the major bits and then think about what it will take to program that. Your first thought shouldn't be "what game engine am I going to use?"

So I suggest you do exactly that. Define the game you're going to build and think about what the requirements are ("I need to render a 2D hexagonal map with animated tiles" etc).

Then you can ask for guidance that's more specific than "I need is a mac OS framework for making games."
Nibbie
Well maybe I don't realy need a game engine. I need something to render the graphics. I need something to render 2D graphics for a multitouch table. User input is recieved with the Touche framework problem is that I don't know with what to get the graphics part running. I don't need some high tech stuff - something simple that can render images, some basic animation (the image follows the finger...). What I explained here is probably possible with the core animation/quartz 2D. I don't realy now - that is the problem.

But sometime in the future I want to make games for mac too. That is the main reason why I am looking at a game engine - for now probably I should be looking at a graphics framework.

SDL looks like overkill or maybe it is just oldRasp.
⌘-R in Chief
r00li Wrote:What I explained here is probably possible with the core animation/quartz 2D. I don't realy now - that is the problem.

Both sound fine, but I'd use CA.

Quote:But sometime in the future I want to make games for mac too. That is the main reason why I am looking at a game engine

Just being on a Mac doesn't mean you need a game engine. You'd write the same games the same way on a Mac and iPhone. Think of the iPhone as a tiny Mac with slightly different APIs.

Quote:SDL looks like overkill or maybe it is just oldRasp.

You're just not familiar with its purpose.
Nibbie
I know that you don't need a game engine to make a game. But game engines are there to make life easyer so you don't have to do everything.

Too bad that there aren't many books or tutirals for core animation/Quartz 2D. But I will look at one of them or both. I am not sure which would be better for my application. Here is something similiar to what I want:
http://www.robotreviews.com/news/control...ffee-table

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Switching developers mid-game development fauxdev 4 1,328 Feb 17, 2014 05:46 PM
Last Post: funkboy
  How to get started in game development! Taxxodium 18 47,110 Jun 5, 2012 03:55 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  [Book] Cocos2d for iPhone 1 Game Development Cookbook NathanBurba 1 5,438 Jan 8, 2012 05:40 PM
Last Post: mmztech
  iphone game development on Windows? Briksins 22 22,444 Dec 19, 2010 01:43 PM
Last Post: sefiroths
  Learning Cocoa game development Miglu 17 16,713 Aug 8, 2010 02:25 PM
Last Post: Miglu