Game engines list

snickrep
Unregistered

Can someone give me a list of 3D game engines for mac? Freeware or Shareware. Doesn't matter. Smile

Jack
Check the FAQ/MacGameWiki on the front page (click here and scroll down) although probably the only engine in that list that would interest you would be GarageGames' Torque.

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
snickrep
Unregistered

dont you have to have a game company in order to use GarageGames' Torque? Is the engine avalible to the public or just employed game designers? If not, than do I need to know how to program? Does it require a team of people or single person to work with the program.
Tycho
Unregistered

Nope, all you need is $99(US), but you are required by the licensing agreement to release your game through garagegames.

While they've ported the Torque engine, I don't think they've ported most of their tools. Last I heard, they hadn't ported their BSP compiler to the mac, so you'll need a PC to develop any serious indoor levels.
Quote:dont you have to have a game company in order to use GarageGames' Torque?
No, you don't have to be a company to purchase Toruqe, as far as I'm aware.

Quote:Is the engine avalible to the public or just employed game designers?
If you'd checked the link, you'd see that the engine is on sale, so I'd assume the engine was availible to the public.

Quote:If not, than do I need to know how to program?
As far as I'm aware, you need to have a knowledge of C++.

Quote:Does it require a team of people or single person to work with the program.
I suppose that depends entirely on the complexity of the project.

Mark Bishop
--
snickrep
Unregistered

Any resourse sites on basic C++? Also, can I see a example of some games created with the Dimension3 engine? How is Crystle Space? Is that a good engine?
I suggest you Google for "C++ programming" (this seems to be a decent FAQ, and this a decent list of tutorials in .pdf form (although they appear to assume prior knowledge of C or another non-OO language.)

Mark Bishop
--
If your really going to learn C++ and really know it well, I'd suggest buying a book on the language; I'm afraid I don't know of any good books for C++ though.

If using Torque isn't an absolute necessity, I'd also like to point out that Obj-C is a very good language, and gives you full access to Cocoa. For Obj-C (and Cocoa), I can suggest some good books; "Cocoa Programming for MacOS X" by Aaron Hillegass, and "Cocoa Programming" by: Scott Anguish, Erik M. Buck, and Donald A. Yachtman. They do assume you know C and one other Object-oriented language though.
snickrep
Unregistered

Since I am new to programing, what would be the best language to start with?
snickrep
Unregistered

Can someone explain the torque game engine to me? Do I get paid making games? Is the programing language easy to use & learn? Is it required to have a PC to use torque? What about WorldCraft and Quark?
Founder
snickrep... slow down, you will burn everyone out.

Any resourse sites on basic C++?

Look in general programming message board for my list of books on programming. Frankly, I think if you are new to programming, thinking of working with Torque, Crystal Space, etc is a bit out of your reach IMHO. ie You must learn to crawl before using a keryboard.

If I recall, you want to make 3D games, but lack knowledge of 3D and programming. There is an article here on different languages. Please read it.

My comment would be....
1. Go to dim3, read ALL the threads, and find out what you must learn and get in order to use it to make games. It might not be ready for the masses, but Brian is workin hard on it and someday it will.
or
2. Get a book on learning C (see my list), and get a book on 3d concepts, and perhaps a book on OpenGL. Learn that, and then do all NeHe tutorials.
or
3. Get a book on C, as well as Carbon programming, and get Black Shades' source code and start using it to learn about how David created a 3d game.
or
4. For get your desire to make a game TODAY, buckle down and learn Cocoa/ObC and OpenGL.

Maybe there are some other ways to go about it. But right now, I see this going around and around, like the thread on "Which 3D app to get." (ie we keep answering the question, yet the poster keeps asking the same question. Mad )

Bottomline, 3d is cool, but you shouldn't expect to jump right into it IMHO. 2D can be hard enough!

Quark makes a DTP program. I don't think you want to make games with that. Though the company DOES like to play games with its customer base.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Originally posted by snickrep
Quote:Can someone explain the torque game engine to me?
Torque is C++, you license the code for $100 to publish a game through Garage Games. $10,000 for unlimited publishing rights (within whatever rules they may have)
You can Download RealmWars for free and use the editor built into that game to make levels for RealmWars and learn how to use the engine tools before buying. Read the website and docs at garagegames.com

Quote:Do I get paid making games?
NO, you pay them to use their engine.

Quote:Is the programing language easy to use & learn?
I doubt highly that C++ is going to be easy for you to learn efficiantly fast enough to make a game in Torque, especially all by yourself.

Quote:Is it required to have a PC to use torque?
NO it compiles and runs on MAC OS 9 and MAC OS X as well.

Quote:Is it required to have a PC .......to use WorldCraft and Quark?

YES it does require a PC for those two apps. To make Models for Torque games on a Mac you need NewTek Lightwave and an export plugin from GnomeTech.

(Carlos was talking about QuarkXpress, desk top publishing software, not QUARK the PC 3D editor)

Ok I think I covered everything on that batch of questions.
Quote:Originally posted by snickrep
Any resourse sites on basic C++?

For C++ sites go to google.com and search
Mac C++ Tutorial
then maybe you'll see some good sites or get lost on the 54,000 sites that come up!

Quote: Also, can I see a example of some games created with the Dimension3 engine?

Read the Dim3 thread here. Dim3 comes with an example game.

Quote:How is Crystle Space? Is that a good engine?

I've not seen anything come out of Crystle Space in the year I've been watching it. Again you are going to need to know how to program.
Quote:Originally posted by snickrep
Can someone give me a list of 3D game engines for mac? Freeware or Shareware. Doesn't matter. Smile

Jack

For actually make games, designing them without too much programming there is :

dim3 -free

iGame3D- free and licenseable $your-$oul

Coldstone for RPG games like on Nintendo $50

Torque Engine free(RealmWars) and licenseable to program with $100 or $10,000

Someday there will be Bang3D!

Aleph One for Marathon2 Engine 3D free

The Green Machine is for making side scrolling shooters.

And some card based applications like GameMaker, which has internet play support. might be $25 or something.

Hmm is that it?
snickrep
Unregistered

I know with lightwave, bryce, Vue, and terragan, you can make skies with the sky generator. Torque also has a feature to export/import a sky into your game. Can you do this with T3D or Dim3? Oh sorry for all these questions annoying you. It justs I have a lot of questions. I will stop and gave ya'll a break at some point. Wink
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Mega Mac List of Game related tools Oddity007 9 13,072 Dec 5, 2012 12:13 AM
Last Post: mercy^4
  opinion:game battle engines, what's the best kind? link_jr97 7 6,115 Sep 18, 2004 03:38 PM
Last Post: link_jr97