PlayerPro Free!!!

Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
I thought that moving songs into the play list via drag and drop would work, but it didn't. My system does have QT 6.1 so I am wondering if this is causing any "issues."

I've found that if you put one file into the playlist (by, for example, opening it), and then drag it around in the playlist window, it'll subsequently let you drag and drop other items into the list from the Finder. There are quite a few little bugs like this in PlayerPro.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Quote this message in a reply
griffin239
Unregistered

I've posted some mods that have been working with PP since 1996.

Get your Mods Fix with ye olde mods

There are some of my home made and edited mods in there,
beware I have the musical
skills of the Blair Witch with a bag of marbles.

Funny registration code didn't work for me until I quit and the registration came up on quiting.

I haven't tried the editors yet, well not since 1997. But player pro is learnable fairly quickly, once you load your trackes in and assign them to the keyboard/piano you can then pretty much type out your notes while recording, go back in and fix up, copy and paste the good stuff by hand.

I have some better mods, but I converted them the MacMod Pro 6 Self contained apps years ago, and well, they turned to crud around Quicktime 4 or something.

If anyone edits the daylights out of PlayerPro, keep the editors in there as they are, optional, you don't need all of them open to use the app.

A note, SoundJam MP supported these mods, but iTunes is blissfully ignorant of them, a big goof on Apple's part. When MP3's came on the scene I was stunned, I really thought Mods were the way to go, Buy a CD with editable and mixable digital tracks, instead of being stuck with "this is what we produced this is all you get". I might still be buying CD's if they came with editable tracks, but I haven't made a CD purchase since 1999.

Perhaps PlayerPro development needs its own topic here at idevgames.com so we can keep track of its development besides this thread.

Double clicking a Mod doesn't seem to always open it in PlayerPro, drag it to the dock icon for PP.
You may have to adjust the volume on some mods, don't know why that is.

Anyone remember a Tron clone that opened up to a fat man on a bicycle for the old Mac OS?
Think it was called TRONISH.
It had a killer theme song with Tron samples, it was in the resource fork as a .mad resource,
I never could figure out how to extract it. "RUN THESE GUYS INTO YOUR JET WALLS!"
It rocked. I want it still.
amon-re
Unregistered

Hey there. Amon-Re from PlayerPROLounge here. Smile

Good to see that you're interested in PlayerPRO, but please note that spreading serials is still illegal! You can modify the code if you want, but you cannot spread any serials. PlayerPRO is still under contract with Quadmation. See the Opensource FAQ.

At last, if you're interested in PlayerPRO, we'd love to see you do more stuff with the code. If you are wanting to rewrite, enhance, or port PlayerPRO, you can always get help at the PlayerPROLounge Forums. You're also allowed to visit the forums, even if you're not interested in the development. Rasp

Thanks for your interest in PlayerPRO!

--
amon-re
amon-re
Unregistered

PlayerPROLounge can host modified PlayerPRO distributions as well. If you want to host something, you can drop us a mail.

--
amon-re
Quote:Originally posted by amon-re
Good to see that you're interested in PlayerPRO, but please note that spreading serials is [b]still illegal![/b]
Those weren't serials, that was just selected output from public domain source code.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
- Gandalf the Gray-Hat

Bring Alistair Cooke's America to DVD!
In light of the dispute over the legality of the "selected output" I went ahead and recreated a Classic target and sent off new "hacked" binaries to Carlos.

I still think it's safer to use the codes... err... output, but this will at least give people a more morally black & white option.

I want to stress that the Classic build has not been thoroughly tested - playing/editing/saving/exporting worked for me, but I don't have the equipment to test the OMS and ASIO drivers. I had a hard time locating the OMS SDK, but eventually found one from 1998, so YMMV...

I can run through the details of re-creating the Classic target if anyone is interested - it mostly involved replacing CarbonLib with the Classic equivalents, adding OMS and ASIO drivers, and switching the prefix headers.

amon-re: If you would like to host this build on PlayerPROLounge please send me an email: pox AT planetquake DOT com (or just grab it from iDevGames once it's updated) I've already mentioned to Carlos that I felt the PPLounge community would be the best place for an organized assault on the source, but it would be nice if someone would shove it up on Sourceforge or similar CVS. Just my 2 cents on the matter.
Evercat
Unregistered

Bah. Given the PP source is now in the public domain, keeping registration codes secret can serve no purpose whatsoever. The legality of it doesn't matter. We can use some common sense.
Founder
Ok, it is NOT an issue now as I have the new version posted to our site that Frank was kind enough to set up. Last night I tried it under Mac OS X and it worked like a charm. I think I can assume that Os 9 will be Ok too.

griffin239, I downloaded your MODs, and it seems that most of them were made by someone except for the 4 or so in the older mine (??) To that end (no disrespect to ya griffin239) but I would like to ask for a few other submissions. Short and pleasant and of course original. Email them to me. Maybe once I get 10 or so, I will take out the MODs included now and put our examples in there instead.

p.s. Anyone ever know what happened to the "other" trecker, perhaps called Sound Trekker for the Mac? Code out there?? Also, I'd like to see some links to some good modern MOD trackers for other platforms to get some ideas for PP.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
amon-re
Unregistered

The OS 9 works as far as I've tested -- I prefer using my bought copy of PP, though Rasp.

Talking about other trackers...
There aren't many. PlayerPRO used to be the best... Sound Trecker is discontinued, as far as I know, and there's MikMod (mikmod.org ), a MOD player, which plays other popular music files as well -- It runs on Mac, Win, DOS, Unix, Linux, BSD, everything you want. Worth checking out!

--
amon-re
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
...Also, I'd like to see some links to some good modern MOD trackers for other platforms to get some ideas for PP.
Not sure you can classify any tracker as "modern" as people seem to like the feel of old Amiga software for this purpose, but here goes:

http://psycle.pastnotecut.org/portal.php Home of the popular opensource tracker "Psycle"

http://www.skale.org/ Freeware Win32 tracker (pure pots/knobs and sliders kind of GUI)

http://www.soundtracker.org/ Opensource X11 tracker

http://www.renoise.com/ Nice looking shareware Win32 tracker, with a Mac version in development (they've got a big ad on the front page asking for more Mac devs)

There are actually loads more out there, but hardcore retro-type folks might prefer Amiga or C64 trackers running under emulation.
Quote:p.s. Anyone ever know what happened to the "other" trecker, perhaps called Sound Trekker for the Mac? Code out there?? Also, I'd like to see some links to some good modern MOD trackers for other platforms to get some ideas for PP.

Cheers [/b]

There was also Meditor and MacMod Pro. I wish OctaMed had been ported. That was the greatest on the ol' Amiga.
Founder
YEAH! OctoMed. That would be great!

Any updates to the now open-source Player Pro?? I don't follow the mailing list.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
amon-re
Unregistered

Not many updates on PlayerPRO lately Sad. I fear that nobody really wants to take a look at the PlayerPRO source and get rid of those bugs... Sad

Maybe you guys can help Smile.

I've recently tried SoundTracker (soundtracker.org) on my Linux box but it doesn't run very well... :/ SoundTracker also runs under Apple's X11 stuff Smile.

Regards,

--
amon-re
Quote:Originally posted by amon-re
Not many updates on PlayerPRO lately Sad. I fear that nobody really wants to take a look at the PlayerPRO source and get rid of those bugs... Sad

Maybe you guys can help Smile.

I've recently tried SoundTracker (soundtracker.org) on my Linux box but it doesn't run very well... :/ SoundTracker also runs under Apple's X11 stuff Smile.

Regards,

--
amon-re

Where can I get it for Apple's x11? I am too retarded to compile from the source. Is there a link? Can I do it through Fink?
amon-re
Unregistered

No need to compile it Smile.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/

Smile

--
amon-re

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  PlayerPRO samples BeyondCloister 3 3,377 Nov 25, 2003 04:11 AM