Shall we bring Duke 3D to Mac OS X?

Quote:Originally posted by Bossa Nova
I really like the idea of remaking Duke3d. I think we could write a new engine and really give Duke3d an update.

However, we can't use the art. 3dRealms is real tough on that actually. There was a mod for Quake3 called DukeItOut in Quake which they were making Quake bsps with the Duke texture set. 3dR shut them down.

If we could get a few good artists tho we could make something very similar.

What you do is have the thing distributed w/o the art, or with similar art, but then include tools to extract the art from original discs and use it. That way, there's no copyright violation as the user has bought the disk and can use it in a different program under fair use.
Steven

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:How does Crystal Space differ from SDL?

Crystal space is a 3D engine - and not worth pursuing in the case of porting Duke - you'd have to "port" it to CS first, and the data formats aren't not compatible, so might as well do it from scratch IMHO...

SDL is a cross platform abstraction layer - instead of drawing to OpenGL, or to your own 2D blitter, you draw to SDL (same for sound, input, file loading, etc.) - it's much more suited for the Duke situation since an SDL port *should* run on any supported platform, but like I said earlier, SDL still kinda blows on the Mac (buggy, but getting better).

The x86 ASM is another issue all together, but there's hope if a C path is included (I haven't actually checked). I'm sure there will be loads of endian issues as well. Probably not a weekend port... even with a stable Linux SDL based port (which it ain't - yet).
WaaMatt
Unregistered

If I had any drive or direction in my life, I'd be a decent programmer by now and I'd totally help.

But I'm actually more interested in making an OS X native version of Wolfenstein and then making an editor cooler than WolfEdit...

... And finding a way to make even bigger levels! OR at least allow more stuff. How can you enjoy the sounds of hundreds upon hundreds of dying Nazies when the editor only let you put in like less than 200 objects? Tsk tsk.

Isn't the Doom app open source? Makes me wish I had the rest of the Doom files.

I played Quake once. Couldn't you jump and stuff in Quake? First Doom added actual 3D elements. Then Doom 2 made 'em better... Then Quake let you move in more ways.

What's next? Heheh.
Quote:Originally posted by WaaMatt
But I'm actually more interested in making an OS X native version of Wolfenstein and then making an editor cooler than WolfEdit...
The original Mac Wolf source is available from hotline.contrabandent.com (hotline server) if yer inclined to port it to X. I think the editor source is there too...

Quote:... And finding a way to make even bigger levels! OR at least allow more stuff. How can you enjoy the sounds of hundreds upon hundreds of dying Nazies when the editor only let you put in like less than 200 objects? Tsk tsk.
I'm pretty sure there are some PC based projects that have done this, shouldn't be much of a stretch to adapt the source for a Mac build.

Quote:Isn't the Doom app open source? Makes me wish I had the rest of the Doom files.
http://doomlegacy.idevgames.com/ - You can buy the original DooM(s) for pretty cheap nowadays (try Amazon.com)

Quote:I played Quake once.
Only once? Poor guy...

Quote:Couldn't you jump and stuff in Quake?
Still can...

Quake and Quake2 are opensourced BTW: http://www.fruitz-of-dojo.de/ and http://macglquake.sourceforge.net/ (not to mention Heretic and Hexen2)

Quote:What's next? Heheh.
Ducking (oh wait, that already happened...)
WaaMatt
Unregistered

One of the things that FPSs will never manage to utilize to any fun level is stuff like taunting. In Myth and Myth II (fantastic games, if you've never ever played them before) you could Taunt and it really didn't do a whole lot but was great for multi-player. I guess the only use of it in an FPS would be for multi-player.

Imagine running around. You're out of ammo. Another player runs up, his guy makes a stupid face and then blasts you apart with some rediculous gun.

So, I guess I'm wrong - they could utilize taunts! Hmm...

Aren't the Quake sources like the Doom one, where you need the rest of the program's files?
Quote:Originally posted by WaaMatt
Imagine running around. You're out of ammo. Another player runs up, his guy makes a stupid face and then blasts you apart with some rediculous gun.

QuakeWorld marked the dawn multiplayer taunts - well, text chat taunts at least - I can remember yelling obscenities across the office during weekly Marathon marathons back in the day...

Quote:Aren't the Quake sources like the Doom one, where you need the rest of the program's files?

Ya, you need the data files to play the entire game, but you can get demo versions for free. The Quake and Hexen2 demos can be downloaded at the sourceforge.net page, and Doom Legacy contains the original demo as well (links in my previous post).
WaaMatt
Unregistered

Thanks for the info. It's all too big for me to tackle with my knowledge and experience, but... Thanks regardless.
Oldtimer
WaaMatt, I must say I'm in love with that avatar of yours. Rasp Go Bellossom! (I think. Blush)
WaaMatt
Unregistered

Hmm... It is similar to Bellossom, but it's actually a Kappa (and is supplied by iDevGames as an avatar).

Kappas are Japanese creatures that live in rivers and eat kyuuri (cucumbers). I think parents would tell their kids that kappa would eat them if they weren't careful.

I picked it 'cause I couldn't resist its jig.

Back to the Duke 3D discussion, though... What language is it in? Maybe I should try helping out porting it - if anything it'd be a good immersion into teamwork and a steep learning curve situation for me. Yay!
Oldtimer
Quote:w_reade wrote: First of all, re the digression in the Duke3d thread to do with WaaMatt's avatar, apparently a kappa... are they the ones whose brains fall out if they ever turn upside down?
Ah, yes. Appearantly, the only way to avoid them is to politely bow before them. Then, they are polite enough to return the bow, and plop goes the brain. Grin
lpetrich
Unregistered

SDL is the Simple DirectMedia Layer. It's some rather simple API's for setting up the screen, reading the keyboard and mouse, etc. One does OpenGL rendering in it by having it create an OpenGL context to render into.

Crystal Space is a whole real-time-3D game API, with lots of functions for creating the world geometry, inhabitants, and so forth.

However, one does not have to use CS's data formats with CS; one can compose a CS version of a Wolfenstein or Doom or Marathon or Duke3D level straight from the data files inside one's game engine if one so desires.