Shall we bring Duke 3D to Mac OS X?

Since the Linux code is released and since we have some talented coders here, shall we try to set a team to bring this game to OS X?

It probably won't be easy but I think that with a good team we should be able to do the port just fine.

OK so, who's in?

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Quote this message in a reply
Is the Mac version of the code open source too ? (ie the Mac port that Glenda Adams did in the pre Westlake days). If so, that would make the job a *lot* easier Smile
Feanor
Unregistered

Man, what is the attraction? The code is supposedly really ugly, and full of hacks. I suppose if you want to write engines for games with no acceleration, this could be a learning experience, like porting software Quake, but otherwise, I don't see the benefit. OK, there's a cool factor, but there's a cool factor for lots of other stuff, too. Write a new game. Help with QERadiant or Crystal Space and PlaneShift. There's that Soul Ride port that is a hair's breadth away from working -- just needs to resolve the endian issues.

<offtopic>
Sorry if I sound like a sour puss. I wish I had time to even debate what games I could help with. School is infuriating, especially when you have to work as well, and there is no time to do good things.<offtopic>
I'd like to see an OS X port simply for the sake of historical preservation. Duke 3D is easily one of my favourites from back in da day....

That said - the code is "real ugly", and I wouldn't hold my breath on ever seeing the Mac source. People have tried more than once to persuade Westlake into releasing the MacQuake source to no avail, and methinks Duke will be no different. The SDL port would be the way to go for ease-of-porting, but SDL still kinda blows on the Mac, and the Duke SDL port is really not ready for prime-time yet either.
calumr
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Feanor
Man, what is the attraction? The code is supposedly really ugly, and full of hacks. I suppose if you want to write engines for games with no acceleration, this could be a learning experience, like porting software Quake, but otherwise, I don't see the benefit. OK, there's a cool factor, but there's a cool factor for lots of other stuff, too. Write a new game.

Another way of looking at it is to see that there's a game to be made but you don't have to make the content. No need for any sloppy programmer art, there's already a whole bunch of levels that are proven to be fun and all that needs to be done is a bit of hacking to get an OS X version running.

I do agree that it probably will be pretty ugly to work with.
GameDev
Unregistered

I heard that there's a lot of x86 assembly in the Linux code.
Feanor
Unregistered

Here's an idea:

Make a whole new game that uses the Duke 3D content. The source will make this possible by illustrating the way the content is organized and managed.

But nobody is going to do this, I'm sure.

I like the argument on preserving the past. Although I think it is cooler to preserve the past in its original state, computer and software together. But then, computers wear out. (Like my Amiga with the busted joystick port/circuit.)

As for the x86 assembly, well, ask me about it. I might actually understand it. Unless it's using MME and/or floating point. I only know up to the .486. :sorry:
jamie
Unregistered

Quote:Make a whole new game that uses the Duke 3D content.

Is that legal to do within the license? Could you for example take the content out and use Alphe One as the engine?

Just curious really...
I checked the code today and I must say it's quite digusting. There's some x86 assembly code, but that's in the engine part.

We could use an existing GPL'ed engine that already works on the mac and just add the functions to read the files and the game code itself.

I thought there was an Open GL version of the Duke Nukem application that already worked on the Mac.

Feanor
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by jamie
Is that legal to do within the license? Could you for example take the content out and use Alphe One as the engine?

Just curious really...

I have no idea! I think so. I don't see why you would be able to port existing software and not use different software to use the same assets. You just can't distribute the assets, I thought. If the user has them already, they are pretty much free to do with them what they want for their own personal use.
I do think we can use another engine instead of the original "Build" engine. It's perfectly legal since we would only be distributing an app and not the entire thing.

I'm checking out the Crystal Space engine, it looks very good and already works on OS X, so we can use that. Then on top of that, we build the game code. Shouldn't be too hard I think.

It would be way harder if we had to port the engine though. The game code itself is just pure data files, something we can reuse and is not platform dependant.

Then again, I might be wrong..

Bossa Nova
Unregistered

I really like the idea of remaking Duke3d. I think we could write a new engine and really give Duke3d an update.

However, we can't use the art. 3dRealms is real tough on that actually. There was a mod for Quake3 called DukeItOut in Quake which they were making Quake bsps with the Duke texture set. 3dR shut them down.

If we could get a few good artists tho we could make something very similar.
Quote:Originally posted by Taxxodium
I checked the code today and I must say it's quite digusting. There's some x86 assembly code, but that's in the engine part.

We could use an existing GPL'ed engine that already works on the mac and just add the functions to read the files and the game code itself.

I thought there was an Open GL version of the Duke Nukem application that already worked on the Mac.

There was a glDuke project which never got past 0.1
xDexx
Unregistered

here is a sourceforge project of glduke. http://sourceforge.net/projects/glduke3d/
i would be more than happy to help out once school is over (2 weeks Smile) i dont know how much help i would be tho. by that time i will have finished my object oriented programming in c++ class. maybe i could write functions for people or something..... anyway if anyone thinks i can help let me know! brett@bsiweb.net
Quote:Originally posted by Taxxodium
I do think we can use another engine instead of the original "Build" engine. It's perfectly legal since we would only be distributing an app and not the entire thing.

I'm checking out the Crystal Space engine, it looks very good and already works on OS X, so we can use that. Then on top of that, we build the game code. Shouldn't be too hard I think.

It would be way harder if we had to port the engine though. The game code itself is just pure data files, something we can reuse and is not platform dependant.

Then again, I might be wrong..

How does Crystal Space differ from SDL?