A (not so original) game idea (EV anyone?)

ThrottleMonkey
Unregistered

The one thing that would make Escape Velocity have infinite replay value would be... MULTIPLAYER MULTIPLAYER MULTIPLAYER!!!

Captain Hector can kiss my creamy white behind... ---> ( Y )
Quote this message in a reply
DoG
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?IterativeDevelopment
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?DoTheSimplestThin...ssiblyWork
( http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeProgramming )

I am confused about the intent of these links? Purely informational, or is there some secret hint I don't get?

Anyhow, I want to make a little clearer how I intend to go about the development of this project. I am outlining the big picture (akin the system metaphor), so I can properly divide it into modules which work together, but have some independent functionality, and hence can be developed piece by piece. This seems to be essential to almost always having a running version of the game/demo.

I like to do things right the first time around, but at least to get the idea right, if not the implementation. Can I get more input on what features people want to see?
If you were to do a 3D game, could you have some intense dog fights (whether its on planets or not)? I'm talking about Star Wars-movie intense. And definitely something more than a few simple menus when you land on a planet. Have a little RPG view so you can stop by buildings and talk to people and stuff. Maybe ground skirmishes on hostile planets. And when you board a ship, you get a small quick battle. Just a few ideas maybe you can throw around.

<Edited some text by request... Okay nevermind, it already was fixed... Changed the caps.>
Unity used to be at http://unity.subnova.com/, but the site's been MIA for a while now. Phish has been MIA for a while as well. Haven't seen him months. *Wonders if Mark has seen him*

EV:O was a perfect game to me. EV:N may have improved the graphics, but there weren't any real improvements in gameplay (and I still argue that the new way the story system works is 2 steps back). Multiplayer is the only thing I'd really like to see, but everybody's been saying that since the original EV.
Sage
I didn't read through the entire thread, but I have to say. I loved the game Terminus. If no one else has said it, I just did now. There were tons of options for piloting your ship and running targeting/weapons. It was just truly awesome.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Nibbie
Quote:Originally posted by Cold_Steel
A good addon for EV would be if your character was not just some ship sprites. You would be able get out of the ship and move around on the planet. Maybe a mission requires you to go search for something on the surface or whatnot. I used to play an old MUD that was basically what EV is, only you could get out of the ship and go in the shuddle docks and to different shops...instead of it all just being a menu that pops up.

Sounds like my gameHuh , GC Except that it will be more like FF6 with EV rather tht EV with FF6.
DoG
I have thrown together a small document on my gameplay ideas and touching on some technical aspects of the implementation over the weekend. A 10 page document, harldy touching any details, though. Reading it now, I have come to the conclusion that it is not likely that I can produce something meaningful within a month, as the development needs many things I don't have much experience with, such as networking.

If you want to take a look at my rambling, drop me a mail, and I will send you the pdf (it is written in TeX). I think it could be inspiring.

Then again, I might do it just to prove to myself that I can do it. I dont insist on doing it all by myself (hint hint hint Ninja )
griffin239
Unregistered

I totaly forget to mention VegaStrike at sourceforge.net

It takes EV Nova into the into the 3rd dimension.
It was great in the exploration phase but I got totaly confused in the fighting portion.
It has a cool turret system I think I could enjoy if I'd figure out what I was doing or had
a co -pilot.

Hmm that raises an interesting idea. Multiplayer space combat, team based, with group leaders.
The group leader essentially controls the battle fleet and takes them into dangerous territory.
The rest of the squad only has free movement up to a certain..visible distance from the group
leader, so you don' t have anyone going "i'm in sector 1, I'll be in sector 10 in about ten minutes!"
and missing the entire firefight.

Instead of lone targets you have entire fleets to deal with, even larger craft.
Group leaders could simply be picked by score so if a group leader drops out of the game for some
reason, the next highest score member could become group leader.

just an idea
DoG
Quote:Originally posted by griffin239
I totaly forget to mention VegaStrike at sourceforge.net

It takes EV Nova into the into the 3rd dimension.
It was great in the exploration phase but I got totaly confused in the fighting portion.
It has a cool turret system I think I could enjoy if I'd figure out what I was doing or had
a co -pilot.

Hmm that raises an interesting idea. Multiplayer space combat, team based, with group leaders.
The group leader essentially controls the battle fleet and takes them into dangerous territory.
The rest of the squad only has free movement up to a certain..visible distance from the group
leader, so you don' t have anyone going "i'm in sector 1, I'll be in sector 10 in about ten minutes!"
and missing the entire firefight.

Instead of lone targets you have entire fleets to deal with, even larger craft.
Group leaders could simply be picked by score so if a group leader drops out of the game for some
reason, the next highest score member could become group leader.

just an idea

Yes, the that is the basic idea. As far as my plans go, the player can choose between different interfaces, depending on what situation he is in. So, when you are in a small vessel, you might be flying it by yourself, but you could choose to communicate with other players or AI to do teamwork.

When you command a large ship, like a carrier, you could choose to use a simplified and command-like interface to play captain, and leave detailed decisions to the AI, but you could take manual control of any subsystem if you want.

Another idea is that two spaceships may dock, and players may exchange their vessels by simply walking their character to the other ship. How cool is that? Or how about actual capturing of ships by docking them and sending in a task force and fighting it out.

You should be able to determine how much you want to micromanage things in the game without having to do it all. So, you can either send in an AI task force to take over the enemy ship, and coordinate them from your captain's seat, or grab a gun and go fighting.

What would make this so much fun is if you could interact with the gameworld in any conceivable way. This way, with everybody doing things he thinks is fun, a quite diverse society might develop, where characters range from politicians and traders to mercenaries and ship captains, with the option to change at any time.

One thing to think about is how deaths should be handled. Should your character be terminated, or should some misterious device exist which allows your character to re-appear after he has been killed?
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

I can't wait till Star Wars Galaxies comes to the Mac. It's a MMORPG that has all the features in this thread. Well, almost.

As for VegaStrike, it was toooo big for me to download.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game Idea - "Dreamscape" soundguru 5 8,520 Dec 18, 2011 05:13 PM
Last Post: ipeku
  Idea Needed - Mech Game carmine 25 19,273 Jul 10, 2011 10:30 PM
Last Post: GordonCSA
  Game Idea Wiki Proposal mikey 9 6,605 Jul 22, 2009 10:05 AM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  A CRAZY game idea! stevejohnson 12 8,104 Jan 28, 2006 04:55 AM
Last Post: Marjock
  New Game Idea. *Input Requested* Superman2489 14 7,752 Apr 22, 2005 09:49 PM