A (not so original) game idea (EV anyone?)

DoG
Ever since I played Privateer and the original Escape Velocity (I guess I could go back all the way to Tie Fighter or Wing Commander), I wanted a game like them, just better.

I am now possessing the skills to start off, I guess.

I don't want to make an EV clone, nor a Wing Commander clone, nor any other clone.

I don't want to make a dumb shooter, but 3D, more in-depth, more like EV than a space shooter. I would like to give players a wide range of possibilities of how to handle things. I am aware of the added difficulty of maneuvering in 3D space instead of 2D, but I think I can reduce it to manageable levels.

I have a whole bunch of ideas, but I don't want to guide any feedback. I would like to know what especially people who played any of the games in the Escape Velocity series would like to see improved, or different. Original ideas are very welcome.

You should not be bothered by the fact that this seems to be a small project, but keep the ideas doable, if impossible.
Quote this message in a reply
someone is making a 3d EV nova sorta game, it is called unity but i forget where the website is...it looks good.
Cold_Steel
Unregistered

A good addon for EV would be if your character was not just some ship sprites. You would be able get out of the ship and move around on the planet. Maybe a mission requires you to go search for something on the surface or whatnot. I used to play an old MUD that was basically what EV is, only you could get out of the ship and go in the shuddle docks and to different shops...instead of it all just being a menu that pops up.
hey, cold steel, yanno Phish from Cartographers of Myth, he is making Unity, do you know his email?
what i would like to see and only have been able to design, is a 3D space game with intricate plots like EV, huge galaxies, customizable ships, and exploration on planets and maybe even some fighting. in any 3D space game, i really want to see some intense dog fighting. i havent played wing commander, but from playing the Star Wars games, u cant get to do some major fighting with computer controlled players attacking you and helping you. runs through canyons and asteroid fields, over water, huge space fleets, etc. my list just goes on. i think it would be easy to keep the balance. all you need to do is earn money, buy and equip weapons, attack who you want, and pursue a career as a pirate. i mean, in EV, i had enough of the missions so i dedicated a pilot for purely fighting. but of course people can stay as a peaceful trader. thats why EV has always been well-balanced, u do what u want.
Quote:Originally posted by DoooG
Ever since I played Privateer and the original Escape Velocity (I guess I could go back all the way to Tie Fighter or Wing Commander), I wanted a game like them, just better.

I am now possessing the skills to start off, I guess.

I don't want to make an EV clone, nor a Wing Commander clone, nor any other clone.

I don't want to make a dumb shooter, but 3D, more in-depth, more like EV than a space shooter. I would like to give players a wide range of possibilities of how to handle things. I am aware of the added difficulty of maneuvering in 3D space instead of 2D, but I think I can reduce it to manageable levels.

Ever played Elite, the game that Ambrosia based EV on. Its more or less like EV but in 3D, take a look at it(and its two sequels) if you want to make a 3D space sim typ of game.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
See

1. Old game Space rogue... for Mac etc... 3D space battle sim + tile based RPG.

2. Ever Play Home World for PC...
Award winning Space RTS game has some very cool ideas for User Control systems in 3d etc.

3. Personally I would like to see and EV style game done wiith a 3D engine...
I do not thing translateing it into full 3D movement adds anything to the game play.
Instead I think it would take away from the game...
I think a 2D style flight and controll system is much better and much more approachable to a lot of casual palyers... Where as I and a lot of people will not even play a 3D flight sim style battle sim
cause its well not that fun constantly trying to get a target in front of you...

4. I/we have been talking a lot about making a EV style online subscription game/rpg in 3D using BANG!... so I will talk to you on ichat about ideas etc.... Smile

- Mac Lead ZeniMax Online Studios
- Owner Plaid World Studios
- Resume: http://www.chrisdillman.com
DoG
After some sleep, I got a little clearer head. Some of the games mentioned I have never even heard of, but as far as Elite goes, I have seen it, when the first EV came out.

As far as the gameplay is concerned, I think I could actually manage to have a 2D space sim AND a 3D space environment, for the player to choose which one he wants to use. Personally, I feel more at home in 3D, but like the way EV is played a lot.

I can say that in general, for single player, different "modes" will be available, and it would be up to the player to disable or enable certain modes to shift the emphasis on gameplay. For example, I can imagine that some people would like to walk around space docks in a FPS like manner, while other just like to hit the "bar" or "shipyard" buttons.

The problem comes with multiplayer, as everything has to work the same accross the network of players, but I can think about this when I get there Wink

Thanks for the input, keep it coming!
what Unity is doing is making a 3d environment with a 2d grid that ships and planets are on unless a certain maneuver calls for them to leave it (and only for a short period of time)
w_reade
Unregistered

Space rogue was brilliant. I'd love an updated version.

Basically it had 3d spaceflight with your mouse turning you and +/-to control speed, but when you landed you walked around a 2d space station and could talk to people, play an arcade game, etc. There was a 2d map that you planned your hyperspace journeys on, making sure not to fly straight through black holes Wink, and you had to actually fly your hyperspace journeys (fly down a twisty tube, not hitting the walls... I think scraping the walls would lose you energy, actually hitting them hard enough would pop you out into realspace again.).

I played it on my dad's mac plus for hours and hours, not least because it had copy protection when loading games and I didn't have a manual... so I had to get good enough to complete it in one sitting. Ouch.
Yes, I remember Space Rouge... on the Mac Plus I think.

Start small and work from there. A simple 3D combat against pirates, invading aliens, etc mode and a trading and ship improvement mode when you get to spacestaions.

Visit http://www.theDailyGrind.net for your recommended daily intake of embittered satire.
DoG
Quote:Originally posted by Damian
Yes, I remember Space Rouge... on the Mac Plus I think.

Start small and work from there. A simple 3D combat against pirates, invading aliens, etc mode and a trading and ship improvement mode when you get to spacestaions.

It is easy to say start small. I have to do the design for a "large universe". Making a simple game results me in nothing than some experience, I would have to re-code most of everything when adding new, dynamic features which were not anticipated. I don't just want to do something just for the heck of working on it, but want it to be something cool in the end.
griffin239
Unregistered

OpenEV is in production at sourceforge. You may want to put your efforts into that project and maybe spin off your own version from that.

http://vendetta.guildsoftware.com
Vendetta is a free (currently) 3D multiplayer space flight/trading combat game.

As for old games, pull that old Amiga out of the closet and look up
MERCENARY II: Sword of Damocles.
This game had 3D polygons back in 1990, a huge solar system, a comet whose tail you could ride and land on the surface of, planets you could land on, little places to walk around in, things to find.
The goal: Comet Damocles is racing to destroy some planet, you're hired to track down
the parts of a huge bomb that will blow it up, so you go from planet to planet looking for the
parts and occasionally meeting some nice polygon people.

The number keys controlled your speed, 9 was lightspeed which would rip you to the end of the solar system ..real fast. 0 was a dead stop. You could see your altitude when decending through atmospheres, watching zero closing in fast, hit the zero key and come to a dead stop just before the surface ala Looney Tunes style.

Now a future space game. Fleet combat, in slow motion, with camera control and replay, thats what I'd like to see. Large scale battles for entire worlds or systems. Myth II in space.
A game that would put you in the directors chair of Babylon 5 or Return of the Jedi.
Not in the cliche cockpit of a standard space fighter.

It's a shame Freespace didn't make it to the Mac. I drool over the box everytime I see it.
DoG
I checked out OpenEV and Vendetta. Of the two, Vendetta is clearly going to be a commercial game, and OpenEV (no offense to anyone) seems like it is stuck. Looks like there is still something going on, though, but not much. And there is practically no documentation on what OpenEV wants to accomplish.

And OpenEV wants to clone EV, rather than to develop its own gaming style.

I am writing up a design document right now, we will see if this idea develops into a concrete project or if I will just make a quick demo to show off SSFramework in the end.
Luminary
Quote:Originally posted by DoooG
It is easy to say start small. I have to do the design for a "large universe". Making a simple game results me in nothing than some experience, I would have to re-code most of everything when adding new, dynamic features which were not anticipated. I don't just want to do something just for the heck of working on it, but want it to be something cool in the end.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?IterativeDevelopment
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?DoTheSimplestThin...ssiblyWork
( http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeProgramming )

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game Idea - "Dreamscape" soundguru 5 8,677 Dec 18, 2011 05:13 PM
Last Post: ipeku
  Idea Needed - Mech Game carmine 25 19,539 Jul 10, 2011 10:30 PM
Last Post: GordonCSA
  Game Idea Wiki Proposal mikey 9 6,784 Jul 22, 2009 10:05 AM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  A CRAZY game idea! stevejohnson 12 8,275 Jan 28, 2006 04:55 AM
Last Post: Marjock
  New Game Idea. *Input Requested* Superman2489 14 7,899 Apr 22, 2005 09:49 PM