PhotoElements 2.0 and Alpha channel

Sage
don't get it

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Pulp Fiction reference.
Quote:Originally posted by Skorche
GIMP is leaps and bounds more powerful than PSE2. It's interface is 100% GTK, so it by no means looks like anything you've seen before. I used it for a year before getting PS7, the only complaint that I have against it is that it doesn't integrate with OSX well. That may change because it's being ported to aqua. It is well documented, and there are some great tutorials.
If you are interested in this option download fink, it's a fairly painless way to install all sorts of X11 and UNIX software easily.
Fink Link (Yes, I am a world class poet in case you're wondering)

And use Apple's X11 with it. It makes it more aqua-looking. Speaking of which, who's porting it to Aqua? I would hope Apple would. Then they could tell Adobe where to go. No good open source substitute for Illustrator (or Pagemaker/Quark), though.
Sage
I'm not implying that Gimp was a good substitute for PhotoShop. It isn't, PhotoShop is a lot more powerful than gimp. Do you think I would pay 300 clams for it if I didn't think so? Gimp is great, it's free, but it can't do things like photoshop can (or as fast). On the other hand if you like to do computer generated graphics I would recommend Gimp over photoshop. Photoshop is geared more towards photography, that's were it's power is. For web or game graphics it has few advantages.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Quote:Originally posted by Skorche
I'm not implying that Gimp was a good substitute for PhotoShop. It isn't, PhotoShop is a lot more powerful than gimp. Do you think I would pay 300 clams for it if I didn't think so? Gimp is great, it's free, but it can't do things like photoshop can (or as fast). On the other hand if you like to do computer generated graphics I would recommend Gimp over photoshop. Photoshop is geared more towards photography, that's were it's power is. For web or game graphics it has few advantages.

No, of course not. If I had money to burn, I would definitely go with Photoshop. Also, I find some of the filters Gimp includes are just bizarre and run way slower than their Photoshop counterparts. Still, free vs $200-$700. If they can make an OSX Native Gimp, that would be something. Frankly, its all sucked since EA stopped making Deluxe Paint...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Photoshop Sprites With Alpha Channel Nick 22 17,972 Nov 26, 2006 06:25 PM
Last Post: jarfish
  Adobe Photoshop & and Photoelements 2.0? Mars_999 6 4,531 Feb 27, 2003 11:15 PM
Last Post: Darkgold
  PNG's alpha channel in dim3 ggadwa 5 4,282 Feb 17, 2003 03:05 PM
Last Post: acedia
  Alpha Channel? Josh 8 6,371 Oct 7, 2002 03:50 PM
Last Post: Josh