ALT: Game Engines

Alright, I'm gonna be the lazy programmer today. I'm gonna have some free time this week and I thought I explore an alternative to learning programming to creating games. The only things I found were Coldstone and GameMaker. Yes, I do know I'm probably better off writing code for games and creating graphics and sounds and make my own game. But, I want to experiment. So, can you guys name a few game engines and give a little description or what genre they are specifically created for. I'm looking for RPG and/or platformers but I want to see other engines too, just in case I'm interested.
Quote this message in a reply
macboy
Unregistered

World Builder was a very good text/graphical adventure game creator, unfortunately it's Black and White and Classic only.

GameMaker and other card-based development systems aren't going to be very good for RPGs.

I used Coldstone a little and just from that short while I didn't think it was very good.

There's really not much else besides text adventure stuff. Sad
well, coldstone is what you should use for an RPG. it will do what you need it to unless you want a "party". Check out realm wars if you decide to do an FPS...

the Myth 2 engine (just buy myth 2 and use the map editor) or warcraft 3 engine....both are designed for RTS's but have really nice scripting that you can get a small RPG out with.

i dunno anything else.
macboy
Unregistered

Too bad there aren't more Mac engines... Just in case you're interested in Windoze game engines, here are some good ones which I really liked:

GameMaker (it has nothing in common with the Mac one - just search http://www.download.com for it)
OHRRPGCE (for RPGs)
Klik&Play (various spellings, 9/Classic only, needs the colour palette to be edited in ResEdit for any decent graphics - Googled for the link, but only got Japanese and GeoCities-esque pages Huh ), Bang! (seems to be still in development), and the Green Machine (thanks jamie!) (although according to another thread it's very slow.)

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
jamie
Unregistered

The GreenMachine
Thanks for the input folks.

But i downloaded the green machine a long while back and it just froze on me so i just deleted it.

I've read a few reviews for Coldstone and they seem pretty weak.

I'm suprised there is Mac version of Klik&Play. I remember that from the PC a while ago. I haven't found anything googling. Oh well.

So in a nutshell, my canidates are:
Platformer = Green Machine
RPG = Coldstone

Is there any 3D engines that I could just jump into? I mean, I have Photoshop and I can use 3D software, but is there a way to get past the programming part?

Also, I'm looking for Mac-only and a demo download.
jamie
Unregistered

there was a 3d engine mentioned here awhile ago that was recently being ported to OSX, I think it may have been Qube (cube)? not sure though.

Also Dim3 is in the works and coming along nicely, not sure there is anything currently available for download though.
macboy
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by jamie
The GreenMachine
It doesn't seem like it gives enough control.
Darkgold
Unregistered

If you have access to a PC or Virtual PC, I found RPGMaker2000 very good.
So I guess my options are pretty slim. Oh well. No problem guys. I'll just try to work with The Green Machine and Coldstone. Maybe you'll see something from me in a couple of weeks.

If you have anything to add, please be my guest, but other than that, thanks again.
Luminary
"Quake" and "Quake 2" are free 3D engines available for Mac OS X...
Sta7ic
Unregistered

Joking second on OSC, you'd need to figure out how to integrate the old engines onto yer app. That'd be a chore and a half.

Don't we get this thread every other week around here?

-Sta7ic
The other threads seem to center a certain engine or certain genre. I thought I try to get every single engine available on the Mac in one thread.
DCoder
Unregistered

Well, it's going to depend very heavily on whether or not you actually want to do any programming.

As has been mentioned, there's:

Coldstone Game Engine, which looks pretty powerful, but has lots of RPG baggage.
The Green Machine, which just feels dog-slow on my G4 800

But there's also:
METAL Basic
TNT Basic
Torque
And if you're looking for a whole slew of adventure-style game tools, theres:
The Mac Game Creator Toolkit

If you're looking for a lower-level library, then these might be useful:
Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL)
Quesa (QD3D implementation)
OpenGL

Some higher-level libraries that aren't quite game engines, but provide useful routines:
SpriteWorld
Cocoa Sprite Kit (MacOS X only)
Sprite Animation Toolkit
Crystal Space
CocoaBlitz

One thing that I'm looking into is the myriad 2D game / sprite engine systems listed on SDL's Libraries page. If you're a MacOS X bigot (like me), then you might find it challenging to work with the likes of:
GameBlade
Kyra
SGE
ZEngine

Hope this helps; this is pretty much my "wannabe game programmer" bookmark list. Grin

-dC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2D game engines Blorx2 10 6,563 Jul 22, 2005 08:53 AM
Last Post: Leisure Suit Lurie