Good sites with free sprites

I' m very grateful to Camacho and this site for the sprites I used in my game (radical rebound).
However, do you know some other sites where to find free & royality free sprites?
Quote this message in a reply
If you want some sprites just to test stuff with, you can go to megaman.retrofaction.com, and look up a nice bundle of sprites featuring the blue bomber and other characters from every corner of the megaman universe and storyline.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Founder
Link for your game so we can check it out?

You can search google for sprites and get many hits. However lots of those sprites are ripped from console games, so never use them in games that you will release to the public.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Unless, of course, it is simply a freeware fanmade game. Capcom would be inclined to spank you a little less hard in that situation.Grin As you will notice, I also said that they are to be used "for testing purposes", and since the movements are professionally done they provide good study art.

Your talking about his game right? I don't have anything using the sprites in question.Ninja

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
Link for your game so we can check it out?

sure!
It' s http://www.danlabgames.com/radicalreboun...ebound.sit

I posted a thread on it on the "announcements".

The game is VERY rough but also fun and new (and you can play in 4!).

The crazy thing about it is that Macworld just asked me to put it on their CD!!
So I' m working as a mad to get it more polished (cause it' s gotta really awfull interface), put shareware limitations (but I' ll give it away at only 1$!) to release the new version in no time.

I' m doing well: I got it MUCH more polished than the version you' ll see (v1.01) , I did better sprite collisions and managed to write a phisically perfect rebound (the one in v1.01 isn' t so great...)

Hope to get the new version in few days.

Anyway, Camacho, thanks A LOT for the sprites and sound.
Is it OK if I write in the credits "Thanks to iDevGames for the graphics and sound..." instead of naming one by one all your resources I used?

MatteoWowWow Wow Wow Wow Wow
macboy
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Najdorf
Anyway, Camacho, thanks A LOT for the sprites and sound.
Is it OK if I write in the credits "Thanks to iDevGames for the graphics and sound..." instead of naming one by one all your resources I used?
I didn't because it makes my game seem like a bigger project Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Dr. Light
Unless, of course, it is simply a freeware fanmade game. Capcom would be inclined to spank you a little less hard in that situation

Legally you are not even allowed to use those sprites for in house testing purposes, but no-one will ever find out. But please don't use ripped sprites in any game relased to the public, no matter what the license. Even if the game is free it is still an infringement of intellectual property laws and the owners of the rights can and will ask you to remove all traces of your game.
macboy
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by monteboyd
But please don't use ripped sprites in any game relased to the public, no matter what the license. Even if the game is free it is still an infringement of intellectual property laws and the owners of the rights can and will ask you to remove all traces of your game.
*hint hint nudge nudge* .ach...
Quote:Originally posted by monteboyd
But please don't use ripped sprites in any game released to the public, no matter what the license.

Indeed; even without taking copyright/intellectual property laws into account, using artwork from other games (without permission) is simply poor form, not to mention dishonest. If I download a game and see that it uses sprites from an Ambrosia game (which I know are not in the public domain), I'll promptly erase it from my hard drive. Even using bad "coder art" is preferable to plagiarizing someone else's work; I'd be far more likely to pay for a game with graphics drawn in crayon by a colorblind two-year-old than one with beautifully-rendered 3D visuals stolen from EV Nova.
then you must love my game!Wink
Founder
monteboyd last post is exactly correct. Don't use ripped sprites in any game. Funny though how in the music world, very short samples, or in Puff Daddy's case, long samples are used and re-used. Ask James Brown about that.

To answer your question about providing credit. You need not say, "Sounds by Carlos", "Music by Carlos", etc... You can simple state "Sound and Graphics by Carlos Camacho" and then add a "Thanks to iDevGames.com" somewhere. I suppose we should update the iDG license so that it covers this issue.

Someone mentioned that using ripped sprites was good for educational purposes. I have seen some good tutorials on making sprites (Japanese-style) so DO check them out. Even studying them I suppose is breaking the law (as you somehow had to get them/rip them.) But part of me says, if you want to zoom the sprite animations up 500% and see how they do certain techniques, like swoooshing swords, then its OK. Just don't copy/use those sprites in your games. Better to use programmer art, and then find a good artist.

p.s. I wish more pixel pushers would do as me and Ari and release a few sprites to the community.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
I have seen some good tutorials on making sprites (Japanese-style) so DO check them out.
Can you pull any links out of your hat?
Quote:p.s. I wish more pixel pushers would do as me and Ari and release a few sprites to the community.
As do all other programmers, methinks. Just an uneducated opinion here, but if we have opensource games/apps, why not more art that is free? Maybe I am trying to compare two completely different things here.
Founder
I don't have any links handy.. BUT you should search our news for sprites as I can remember a posting I did within a month or so ago.

I can't speak for other designers and artists... For some things, I'd like to make money on... but for other things, I just want to see it used by as many people as possible. I also think that as my art goes around, it might lead to job offers and other networking. People who hoard their art, and claim this and that, but don't have anything to show will never get exposure to get more jobs IMHO.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Well, code can be easily modified to fit various purposes, and if three sections of the code are written in entirely different styles but still interface correctly, the end user need never know. Art doesn't work that way, generally. There shold be an underlying theme, the style should be consistent.... etc. if you take this free art and that free art and throw them all in a game, it will look exactly like that's what you've done. Now if someone creates a complete set of graphics, then that is much more helpful, but still the programmer would have trouble adding the little bits and pieces to the art that would make it fit the game he's making without tracking down the original artist. At least, that's sort of how I feel about it, though I know Carlos's art assets have been an invaluable resource, so there is certainly use for 'free floating' assets...

To summarize: I know that the interface graphics Carlos made are great for any game, and I hope that the "input device" graphics I made for iDevGames are equally universally useful... but sprites are something that I can only really imagine creating for a specific project...
Quote:Can you pull any links out of your hat?

I can!

Pixelation (forum devoted specifically to pixel-art)
Tsugumo's tutorials (founder of Pixelation)
st0ven's tutorials
Blue Monkey's selout tutorial
Zoggle's isometric tutorial (best iso tutorial evar)
Helm's tutorials
Pixel-Zone
Pixel-Zone tutorials (big ole list of tuts)

Oh, and I'd just like to point out that Capcom is *very* lenient on people using their sprites. As long as you aren't trying to sell them they really don't care. So if you want to study the sprites or use them as temp sprites in your game, you can. I still wouldn't release a game with the sprites in it though. Even if you don't charge for it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Reiner's Tilesets: free sprites and tiles! Chris Burkhardt 7 11,308 Jan 6, 2005 10:22 PM
Last Post: Chris Burkhardt