Cocoa speeds

Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
Every Cocoa app already calls various Carbon functions under the hood... I'd decide which category (Carbon or Cocoa) to put an app in based on what the majority of its event handling/GUI was written in. To stop calling it a Cocoa app simply because it calls FSPathMakeRef() or HideMenubar() seems ridiculous.
Yes, that makes sense. I guess that is how I automatically label programs anyway (Carbon apps use Carbon Events/GUI, Cocoa apps use Aqua, GLUT...).

Quote:Quartz Extreme only accelerates surface composition, not general drawing tasks. Drawing your bezier path is just as much in software as it always was.
Alright. But for a 2D game with prerendered graphics, for example, does Quartz Extreme help any (getting NSImages to the screen)?

Quote:I think DoooG meant that the combination of Cocoa/Objective C wasn't slow, but I (and most other people) took that as a given... picking on him for saying "Cocoa" rather than "Cocoa/ObjC" seems rather pedantic.
Do you mean Skyhawk or DoooG? Yes it is pedantic (I am a pedantic person -- despite how often I am wrong about things), but I was really unsure of what he was talking about. I think he actually was defending the Cocoa framework, and not Objective-C, but I couldn't tell.

Chris Burkhardt
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Originally posted by Chris Burkhardt

I call those little space-ship things sprites. You might call them OpenGL quads or something else (particles??), but we'd be referring to the same thing.

so you are saying that the models in quake 3 are sprites too?
because each one of those ships in BOB2 is made of up of ~80 polygons
Quote:Originally posted by skyhawk
so you are saying that the models in quake 3 are sprites too?
because each one of those ships in BOB2 is made of up of ~80 polygons
um, uh oh, I might have to admit to being wrong again. I would call those models, I generally reserve "sprite" for prerendered graphics. Sorry, I obviously don't recall BOB2's graphics very well :sorry:

I'm going to have to go play it to refresh my memory Wink

Chris Burkhardt
Quote:Originally posted by Chris Burkhardt
um, uh oh, I might have to admit to being wrong again. I would call those models, I generally reserve "sprite" for prerendered graphics. Sorry, I obviously don't recall BOB2's graphics very well :sorry:

I'm going to have to go play it to refresh my memory Wink

well, the models in BOB2 don't change, but they are generated from vertices in my data files. hundreds and hundreds of vertices. one person said I should have used textured quads, but I decided against it for 2 reasons
1) space, my data file is 20k, I really doubt the equivalent in bitmaps could have been as small. Plus, that 20k of text compresses REAL well Wink
2) all my ships lean into the turns. That would look funny in my opinion with a tilting quad with a picture on it.
3) go play it again all you like Grin