Which language is better to learn? C++ or Java?

GameDev
Unregistered

Can the moderator please change the JAva to Java. Thanks.
Feanor
Unregistered

That was my favourite moderator job so far!

I voted Java, even though I hate Java. Java will get you a job faster and there are more jobs, least as far as I can tell. Then again, I don't know squat.
macboy
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Feanor
Java will get you a job faster and there are more jobs, least as far as I can tell.
It might get you jobs, but Java is .... no word to describe it... I guess "odd" I don't especially like either one, but C++ is a little bit better.
furballphat
Unregistered

I went for Java. It has a beautiful built in API, superb multi threading and exception handling and creates structured code.
GameDev
Unregistered

The reason I posted this poll was to help me decide which one I want to take first. I eventually want to take both. I am also going to learn Obj. C sometime.
henryj
Unregistered

Java is significantly easier to learn than c++.
Java will teach you better habits than c++.
Java has a 'better' standard library so you will be productive sooner.
All in all it will be a more pleasant experience especially on mac osx.
The processing power of current computers is more than enough to run Java applications with decent performace and, overall, Java is a beauty of a language.

Now, Apple just needs to get the 1.4 version of Java running on most machines as soon as possible, otherwise our games can't fully benefit from the latest features as fast 3D rendering.

There are free libraries for Java 1.4 that allow your applications to access OpenGL in a simple manner. Java is really worth a try for a simple game, especially if you require networking, and it's not so difficult to port a game made with Java to C++ somewhere down the road.

Time is running out!
GameDev
Unregistered

OK, I'm convinced. I am going to learn Java first. Question 2: Should I learn Java before Obj C? Thanks for your help.

P.S.
Does it help to know C to learn Java like C++? (I'm trying to put off learning pointers as long as possible Grin )
DoG
Quote:Originally posted by GameDev
OK, I'm convinced. I am going to learn Java first. Question 2: Should I learn Java before Obj C? Thanks for your help.

P.S.
Does it help to know C to learn Java like C++? (I'm trying to put off learning pointers as long as possible Grin )

I don't know why you would not want to learn pointers. Understanding of pointers is key to any programming language, unless you absolutely don't care what goes on under the hood. And pointers is not such a difficult topic, you just have to get the syntax down.

- D.G
macboy
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by DoooG
Understanding of pointers is key to any programming language
Not if you're using BASIC Rasp BASIC does just what you tell it to Rolleyes
DoG
Quote:Originally posted by macboy
Not if you're using BASIC Rasp BASIC does just what you tell it to Rolleyes

Ok, I should have said modern languages, especially oop. Since objects are typically dynamically allocated, you always deal with pointers, even if you don't really get to play with them.

- D.G
Luminary
Learning C will probably not significantly help you learn Java.
henryj
Unregistered

You don't need to understand pointers to learn Java either.

But as Dooog said pointers aren't that hard. There is MUCH worse stuff to come.:um:
Founder
You should have clarified your poll, by saying "for what"? As in, which is better to get a job, which is better to do ABC, etc... OneSadCookie's article comes to mind on this.

Frankly, I'm a little confised why so many ads are looking for Java programmers. To me, the best info you could learn to work for 'Net related companies is PHP, backed up by solid SQL database knowledge, XML, along with some other little tidbits.

How often is Java used in the enterprise? And for what? In my company, the only time I came across it was in my former project. In that case, the ONLY language that would do what the project demanded was JAVA (distributed contol and monitoring of device.)

No slam against Java or its API, I'm just trying to understand why all those ads say Java programmer wanted? Perhaps I am forgetting companies that provide small and specific turn-key systems, like perhaps for a medical office? Other examples?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Hog
heck, in java there is nothing else but pointers to objects (except for the basic types), and they do behave as such. you'd be pretty fucked up if you wouldn't know how to handle those.
pointer arithmetic would actually be a pretty simple part, and it gives you more understanding.

not that java is worse than c++.
concerning some of it's features, it is just somehow pretty poor compared to what it actually should be.it's not as platform independent as it should; left out multiple inheritance to avoid a problem which was introduced by interfaces anyways ...;
on the other hand it has a lot of things implemented as standard which you'd have to get somewhere else in other languages.
you could actually miss out on obj-c entirely and write all your cocoa applications in java.

what i like about c++ is that you get the chance to do things like pointer arithmetic yourself if you want (and you can overload operators), but you could entirely get along without pointers and keep things as simple as in java (except for maybe garbage collecting) and just use references everywhere.

p.s.: java programming is kind of lazy
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Learn java ? icross 6 5,922 Apr 22, 2009 11:11 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  What to learn next? stevejohnson 3 3,065 Nov 19, 2006 04:08 PM
Last Post: unknown