Network Programming

henryj
Unregistered

What's the recommended networking api on OSX? Cocoa excluded, I've looked at OpenTransport and CFNetwork and the docs are appalling for both. What is everyone else using?
Quote this message in a reply
Patrick
Unregistered

I used Open Transport when I had to use networking. Apple's Carbon documentation for it is HORRIBLE, but you can still get Inside Macintosh: Open Transport from the Classic section. Quite a good book but only covers up to Open Transport 1.3.
Inside Macintosh: Open Transport, the O.T. technotes and looking up stuff on XTI ( what Open Transport was based on ) managed to do the trick for me Smile

~~

You could also just try using BSD Sockets itself. From what I understand, they have somewhat better performance than Open Transport( which on OS X is just a wrapper on top of BSD Sockets )
check here for a page on BSD Sockets : http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/html/
And since the BSD socket API is cross-platform and has been around for decades, there are way more tutorials and open-source specialty wrappers and so on for them than for pretty much everything else.
Luminary
Just go with sockets; your code will be more portable and the docs are good Smile

It's not really all that hard, either.

The best tutorial I've seen: http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/
henryj
Unregistered

I've done sockets before. I was hoping to find 'the one true OS X way' but I'm not having any luck. CFNetwork seems to be a wrapper for sockets but there are NO docs at all.

The ideal would be a class library that works just like Java's networking stuff. I've just spent the last 2 hours playing with Java and I have a working newsgroup reader. It's just a shame java still looks ugly on OS X.
Hog
maybe you might want to try using distributed objects http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/maco...index.html
Nibbie
have you heard of rendevous? it goes really well with sockets.
henryj
Unregistered

I used Java in the end. Way easier. Apple should ditch Cocoa and concentrate on Java.
Quote:Originally posted by henryj
I've done sockets before. I was hoping to find 'the one true OS X way' but I'm not having any luck. CFNetwork seems to be a wrapper for sockets but there are NO docs at all.

"The one true" Mac OS X way (excluding Cocoa) is to use CFNetwork. I would suggest these over sockets, especially if you want to tap into things like Rendezvous. But if you don't need the extras, just use sockets (that's what I do Smile )

Cheers,
Rocco
henryj
Unregistered

Quote:"The one true" Mac OS X way (excluding Cocoa) is to use CFNetwork.

That's what I was going to use but I couldn't find any docs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  java network api San_Andreas 1 3,195 May 1, 2008 08:05 AM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  Getting network connection for a specified PID Florian 6 4,988 Dec 23, 2006 03:46 AM
Last Post: Florian
  Ways to Network. BinarySpike 28 12,554 May 10, 2005 07:44 PM
Last Post: kodex
  Network play David 15 7,561 Apr 10, 2003 05:56 AM
Last Post: rvangaal