Good RPGs

Where do you get knights of the old republic? I have never heard of it.
Quote this message in a reply
It's only available for the X-Box at the moment. A PC version will be released later this year. I doubt there will ever be a Mac version.

Homepage: http://www.bioware.com/games/knights_old_republic/
Oh well. Maybe I'll get xbox one day. Who knows. THanks for the info.
I made a mistake about half a week ago. I got Gothic 2 for my PC. I'm now only getting 4 to 5 hours sleep a night. It has a wonderful plot and I'm enjoying doing the side quests. The maps are massive and there is only a little bit of loading between different maps. I spent about an hour running around just one map. The character skills are controlled by level, each level you get some points. You can increase weapons etc by using points, but you can also learn hunting skills, like removing fur etc from dead animals, learn how to pick pocket, pick locks etc. Also there seems to be a lot of different ways to do a quest. And a nice feature I noticed is monsters,animals and NPCs will use their AI. Like if I kill one creature and lure another towards the dead one and run away, the creature will snack on the dead one. Or if I lure a monster towards a NPC who is agressive they might duke it out so I can pick off the one who is left. All in all I would say at the moment this is the most enjoyable RPG I've played in the last 5 years.

Justin "LordFire" Baldock
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

You missed what I said. I'm sure everyone knows that in SSB/SSBM that Nintendo wanted characters from a whole bunch of their video games. Basically, at the time of this thread I did not want to admit I was wrong and Matt was right. I made a mistake about connecting Harvest Moon with Earthbound and Mother. And would people stop reawakening threads THIS old.

Anyway, back on topic. has anyone here played FF2? Remember it's leveling system? You'd gain exp with each weapon you had instead of the whole character gaining exp.
By far I think that the Fallout series is the best damn RPG ever to hit the mac platform. I like to have total control while playing a game.

-CarbonX
I've started to come to the realization that traditional "leveling-up" RPG-based games have wore out their welcome on me. There's way too much time involved around doing the same redundant thing. Most of the older generation who grew up playing Secret of Mana, Crono Trigger, and Final Fantasy don't have that much time on their hands anymore. We have full-time jobs, wifes, children and other responsibilities which eat our time.

Games like Zelda and Metal Gear Solid, take a unique approach for leveling up the character. It's not based on how many bad guys you kill. It's based on who you kill, completing some mini-quest, or extended exploration.

Perhaps RPGs need to embrace a new approach for getting new armor, increasing health stats, making more money and so on which isn't as redundant as fighting bad guys...and more bad guys...and yet..more bad guys.
  • Armor should either be purchased or won. However, the same armor purchased should not be won through battle and so on. This makes the armor more special or unique.
  • All enemies should drop money, while mini-games should be played to quickly win money.
  • And finally, increasing health should be based on winning some kind of item through a quest.
RPGs should have long (30+) play times based on the quality of the story and the unique quests that take the player for a ride, not from 20+ hours of killing enemies just to level up.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
PuppyHelmet
Unregistered

I agree that an alternative to D&D style leveling up would be a good thing. Problem is coming up with an idea that works as easily.

A system I've really come to appreciate is the one in Xenosaga Episode I. You build up three kinds of points: skill, ether (magic), and tech. Skill points and ether points let you learn new support skills (like stat bonuses) and spells. Tech points can be used to improve your attacks, or to bring your stats up by a point at a time. Also, ether points can be spent to give "copies" of spells you've already lerned to other characters that ordinarily wouldn't get them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: your stats go up when you level up like any other RPG, so you don't even have to meddle in spending tech points on stats if you don't feel like it.

The end result is that at the end of the game your party is customized to your liking, and probably very different from other people's, yet the process is remarkably painless. You could just spend points on whatever's available when you have enough, and end up with a reasonably strong party. For crazy min-maxers like myself, though, it's a torturous dilemma to figure out the fastest way of turning my characters into gods. Tech points in particular burn a hole in your pocket; save them up to make your attack better... or spend them now to boost your vitality? It keeps me awake at night.

It's easy enough for casual RPGers, and deep enough for obsessive-compulsive RPGers. The combat system adds another layer of strategy to it, since if you time your kills right you get bonus points.

Of course, you have to be able to survive through 20 minute plus cutscenes to see any of this. It's even more plot-heavy than Xenogears was, although the quality of the exposition is much higher (since they weren't forced to ship with half the game practically missing).
I really liked the system in PS's Chrono Cross because It was totally related to the battle system. The more you progress in the game, the bigger amount of magic attacks you could carry in a battle (considering you could only use each magic you carry once per battle). It was really fun and involved you in the story without taking much time in developing characters, though you had to choose your equipment and magic attacks strategically.

My fave RPGs are (the ones I remember):

Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda a Link to the Past
Harvest Moon (and no, Ness isn't the guy in it)
Parasite Eve (battle system grew boring, but watching Aya kept me playing Rasp)
Final Fantasy V (not sure of the no.... a SNES one)
Mario RPG

those are the ones I can remember...
eekaydee
Unregistered

No one mentioned Dragon Warrior for NES?
You actually have to try hard to get enough money to buy a 800 gold Iron shield that gives you 8 defense or something...
nowadays all the RPGs go into the hundreds and even thousands for stats, while dragon warrior never leaves the tens.

And Earthbound.
Quote:Originally posted by Darkgold
Thats partly why I asked this. Cause the one thing I absolutly DO NOT WANT is another stero-typical RPG. Its going to be quite a challenge to develop a system that gives people the option of complete control over the character, but also allows for an automatic system (a one that works too.) But still keep it fun.

How about training? You have to go to a certain place to learn things, and different teachers have different prices and knowledge. That's just my two cents.

Alex
Darkgold
Unregistered

Wow, I'm gone for about 5 months, come back, and one of my threads is still up. I guess I should be proud.

But anyways, I've decided to take the game in this direction: As Gatti pointed out, most people people don't have the time for another redundant RPG, so I have decided beating the actual game doesn't require hours and hours of fighting bad guys. Instead the player gets more experince per bad guy. That way your ability to defeat that "huge boss" comes down to your ability to customize your character so that he has an actual strategy. However, for the people who do have the time to spend hours fighting bad guys to level up, there will be an online feature to the game so people can fight other people with a huge amount of time on their hands. (Fighting people online would give you experince.) Or they can go back through the game at a higher level if they want to see the story again and also want to add to the experince of one of their characters.

Oh and yes, I realize that adding an online feature is a huge task, but I have managed to integrate my programming into school. So for the next two years I will be able to work on this and get school credit for it.
Quote:Originally posted by Darkgold
Oh and yes, I realize that adding an online feature is a huge task, but I have managed to integrate my programming into school. So for the next two years I will be able to work on this and get school credit for it.

Now that is a smart thing to do.

Justin "LordFire" Baldock
Hoggle
Unregistered

You guys are missing one of the most infinitly controllable RPG's ever made. Dungeons and Dragons for the Intellevision! Why you had the option of going to blue cave, purple cave, red cave, or gray cave! think of the possibilities! and lets not forget the system of clicks to let you know how many arrows you had left.. sheer genius!!

Seriously though, I like games that allow limited control in the development and growth of the character, but allow open-endedness as far as goals. You have to allow just enough control so they feel they are somewhat involved in the creation of the charater so it is their own, but not so much where you leave the player thinking "ugg.. what attribute is going to help me the most? i hope i didnt mess up! He has enough mana to power a small space-station yet im taken down by an enchanted ladybug carrying a pointy stick!"

No one mentioned Realmz or Escape Velocity.. (though Escape Velocity is in space, its very much an RPG.) They are both infinitly replayable(not just talking about plug-ins, but thats really a cool feature). They have really lose goals that you accomplish at your leisure while still giving you a general direction to go in.

I grow so weary of games where you need to find the wizard so you can get the medicine, so you can heal the boy, so he can give you the key, so you can unlock the trunk, so you can find the map, that will lead you to the bird, so you can use the bird to catch the spider.. use the spider to catch the fly, i dont know whyyy she swallowed the fly.. i guess she'll dieee... oops! kinda got sidetracked there.

anyhoo.. thats my 2 cents.. give or take a cent..

-Hoggle
ss2cire
Unregistered

I think it all comes down to the over all style of the RPG

For example:

Chrono Trigger for the SNES/PSX (arguably one of the best RPGs of all time) allowed some control but not much
while

one of the (if not the best) best series of RPGs are the final fantasy games, here's my comments on a couple of the games:

Final Fantasy 3/6 for the SNES/PSX allowed for about a medium amount of control (eg: which characters learned magic ect)

Final Fantasy 5 (SNES on emulators) PSX, on the other hand gave LOTS of control where you were able to change the characters class at anytime (after a certain point in the game) and level those up independant of the other classes

Final Fantasy 7, PSX, gave less control than FF5 but had a very engaging story line and the materia allowed a some what advance player to comize the characters even more

The avernum series by Spiderweb Software
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com
gives most of the control to the player and makes it really ingaging for the player but isn't for the adverage player as the player NEEDS to be ingaged to play it

All in all, I think it's really up to the developer on how they want to make the character develop, but if you really want an opinion from me, middle amount of control, allow the player to controll some, but don't make it completely dependant on the player as some players don't want to be THAT into it.

Just my Opinion on the whole thing Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why good ideas beat good graphics BeyondCloister 38 16,194 Jun 6, 2005 09:38 AM
Last Post: Dan Potter