Collaborative Lemmings/Worms RTS ideas

AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by codemattic
And the 'Understatement Award' goes to AJI! Isnt that also how you write a chess program? Just act like a chess grandmaster and program it to do what you would do in every situation.

Of course Ill shut up after I see the killer AI in Crystal War's realtime neural networks!

-Codemattic

Thanks, codemattic. I got this like for strategy from my father (big chess and military strategy fan)

Why Crystal War was never completed: it was way too big of a project for a new developer like me. The art was supposed to be awesome and same with the multiplayer gameplay. I plan to finish Crystal War sometime later. or, I may make a simpler game with low art content and no multiplayer. In fact, a friend said he'd rather see a realtime 3D version of Crystal War with head to head net gameplay. Ninja (what does the ninja smilie mean anyway? Grin)
Quote this message in a reply
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

I've been trying to figure out how the heck to do a randomly generating level system for a Lemmings game and I have found out that it's not the best way. I have to write more code than I need to to construct challenging levels that are generated randomly. DaFalcon, if you can do the tile art for cannons, walls, floor pieces, and theme pieces (like pyramids for the Egyptian theme and igloos for the Arctic theme), I can write a map based level system. I figured out how to "erase" areas where bombs explode and where Lemmings dig, also.
Any specs, AJ? Color limits? Alpha channels? Solid-colored masks? Size limitations? If you let me, I'll go all out and create a million-color 356x709 pyramid with full alpha transparancy, so I figured I'd ask first :-)

BTW, I didn't say it would be a *great* million-color 356x709 pyramid with full alpha transparancy either...
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

256x256, JPG's or BMP's (I'll use GraphicConverter to convert them to SGI BW's). Dunno how to work with alpha in GL, but I do in Flash. Grin
*cough* bump *cough*
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Between the time of the last post I made in this thread (the one before this one) and now I learned how to program apha in OpenGL. But in C++ and not in Cocoa. Not really in the mood to program for a Lemmings game anyway (never have liked themSmile)

BTW, I know only how to read TGA and BMP files. Need to learn PNG now.

Anyway though, do BMPs and solid colored masks.
ThrottleMonkey
Unregistered

Forget the name "Lemming". What is cute and lives underground that makes tunnels?

GOPHERS!

So... Either Gopher or GroundHogs would be an appropriate name. Easily drawn/modeled too.
ThrottleMonkey
Unregistered

Personally, I wouldn't try to overcomplicate things by making the number of units infinite and pouring from the sky (who ever heard of the sky opening underground anyway unless it was a straight upward tunnel?)

Also, what would be the point of being able to control the units by key commands anyway, instead of generic tasks? It would be much more fun, funny & challenging to have the gophers be running around doing their task (ie, patrolling/standing guard of a tunnel with a weapon) rather than clicking and trying to get the gopher to shoot whatever you're trying to physically aim at.

You also kind of get the Omnipotent feel when you're watching little creatures do your bidding instead of constantly babysitting them.

And right now I just got another idea for the characters. Why not make it an ant game? Well, Gophers ARE cuter...

Just my two cents.