Where can I get a library to load 3D Models?

Mars_999
Unregistered

I am most likely not ever going to learn how code a loader to load a 3D model on the Mac with endianess issues and not really finding a lot of tutorials that use SDL w/ OpenGL. So does anyone know where I can get some free libraries to load 3D models with textures into my game code? I need it to be C++ or C based and supports OpenGL. If anyone know of a lib this simple please let me know. Thanks

Code:
//Class
Model tank = Model();
tank.loadmodel("tank.obj", "tank.tga");
tank.render();

that simple would be great since I am not making anything to sell just trying to learn OpenGL with models and how to work with them. Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
Game Engines can probably do that. Mine can do pretty much exactly what you are showing but you can also set additional settings. Mine isn't complete yet though, so you might want to check out something like Dim3, which I think will be coming out soon...
Mars_999
Unregistered

Problem is unless the game engine is able to do a RTS game no dice for me. I don't have any interest in making Quake clones, due to Doom3 is coming out and looks jaw dropping. =) Thanks for the info.
Tobi
Unregistered

You might look into the source code section.

There is source code for a cocoa meshwork model loader.
And the Carbon Dim3 animator can also load meshwork models. It contains all the source needed.
Quote:Originally posted by Mars_999
Problem is unless the game engine is able to do a RTS game no dice for me. I don't have any interest in making Quake clones, due to Doom3 is coming out and looks jaw dropping. =) Thanks for the info.

dim3 is designed for any 3D game, from fpp to RTS. You *should* be able to do an RTS (the camera is completely controllable, so you can easy go to 3rd person.)

I have done the most work in fpp, though, but I'd like to hear from anybody that attempts an RTS so I can add the things I need.

My goal is to beat Doom3, anyway Smile

Back to the topic: dim3 Animator (you don't need dim3 to use it) loads up a bunch of models and changes them into a OpenGL friendly XML format + bitmaps. Contains lots of stuff needed, including skeletal animation, timings, texture animations, per-vertex alpha, etc.

[>] Brian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Starting with SDL, can't load BMP :( ngoles 14 10,351 Jan 21, 2014 11:19 AM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Nice models and free models, new site! 3d4ya 4 3,933 Sep 18, 2008 07:36 AM
Last Post: NYGhost
  How can I load a PNG without premultiplied alpha? Prime 6 7,067 Feb 15, 2005 08:52 PM
Last Post: arekkusu
  need help getting quicktime to load textures xDexx 8 4,373 May 7, 2003 03:57 PM
Last Post: xDexx
  Help deciding how to load textures? Mars_999 1 2,240 Feb 20, 2003 10:09 PM
Last Post: henryj