New Game Ideas?

Le Muck
Unregistered

i am going to start making a new game but I havn't really got any ideas for it, so if someone could give me a couple of ideas or something that would be cool.
i am limited to 2d games though.
Quote this message in a reply
Download other shareware games from places like VersionTracker. They tend to give ideas... I once found a game called "Squirrel Combat." Sounds stupid, huh? Well, that game inspired my uDG entry that I am working on... If you are really new to game programming, I would urge you to start VERY simple. Get you first game out the door, release it as freeware. That was one of my big mistakes. I had grand ideas, but never finished them... Sad
Fletch
Unregistered

When I'm still getting used to an API, I tend make little games that get trickier, such as:

1. Pick up the things game.
Overhead 2d game of a character sprite moving around picking up purple circles or something like that, keeping score. Throw some walls up too after that. Thing about this game is you don't have to worry about a timer or anything. Just simple things.

2. Tetris / Pong
Something with more movement, that needs a timer, has sprites that move at different speeds. More fun than Pick Up the Things.

Add complexity as you go on. It's fun.

Good luck.
Founder
Here are the games I suggest you do. They are all 2d..

1. Berserk
Easy AI, teaches collision detection, drawing mazes. And we don't have this game on the Mac.
You could take it a step further and make "Venture"

2. Baseball
We have NO arcade style baseball game on the Mac. The rules are defined, so you just do the code. Good test of your abilities, and if you decide to make this game, I'll lend a hand in sprites.

3. Centipede. We have some versions of this game, but a modern one would be nice. And if you end up releasing the code... Even better.

4. LadyBug. Kind of like Pac-man.

5. Robotron. fast pace game with lots of collision detection and not that hard of AI

What I suggest is for you to get MAME and play some of the classic arcade games. And then make a tribute game that can stand on its own. Just like Airburst to Warlords. Please don't make PONG, Breakout or A Shoot'em up because the Mac has a ton of 'em.

Good luck hunting!

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
CMagicPoker
Unregistered

Why not a soccer game? Or a hockey game? Like the one on shockwave.com?
Le Muck
Unregistered

thanks for all the suggestions and stuff. I have got that squiral kombat thing. I am not really that new to making games so I know how and stuff but I can neaver think of any ideas for em. I want to make a game that other people would enjoy playing so if you tell me what sort of things you like in games that would be cool.
Well, like CMagicPoker said, we can always use more sports games (esp. soccer!) and Camacho also had some good ideas.
Feanor
Unregistered

Make a game where things randomly turn into other things. Well, maybe not randomly, but at first it would appear that way.

Or what about a shifting maze game? At first it looks boring, but, whoa!, that wall just moved, now where do I go? Can any wall move? Just certain key walls? Do they move on their own or in response to the player? Make the maze bigger than the screen so its hard to remember, but not too hard. Maybe bigger mazes as you go along. If the maze had bridges and tunnels that would make it more fun, too. Even the bridges could move. Of course you need enemies of some kind. Maybe they don't kill you, but they steal some of your treasure or what-not and your score isn't as good.

Either enemies or a timer to add tension, but probably not both. If you were in a hedge maze, the enemies could be badgers and foxes. Maybe you're a rabbit or something like that. You could sometimes dig under the maze walls (maybe you need a powerup to make you dig fast enough). And the hedge is, of course, magical, and it changes organically.

Water hazards would make things more interesting. -- FÎanor
NecrosaJoe
Unregistered

To supplement Feanor's idea: Perhaps if hit by an enemy, the character returns to the beginning of the maze. That'd be infuriating and fun! Or, if a timer & enemies, make like Marble Madness and force the player to sit still while precious seconds tick by. Marble Madness is an infuriating and fun game.

-joie
ylaporte
Unregistered

Something that is fairly simple and easy to do is a clone of the old Amiga Game Nuclear War.

Each player as a country and they send nuke, or propaganda, spy etc. to the other countries or build stuff such as nukes and the rockets to carry them. All these actions had effect on the population (mostly the number of people in a country) and therefore to the capacity of producing.
Founder
How about a real challenge. Make an undpate to "Elite" for the Mac.

Sports games:

Yes, we need soccer... I've been thinking on this for a while, but can't agree with myself on the AI.

How about a bobsled game? Think about that snowboard game that was show here. I would like to see a first-person bob-sled game. That would make my heart race.

or how about Downhill Mongul (spelling?) It is an Olympic sport now. Cool tricks plus skiing. So nice I think.

Baseball - We don't even have NES level baseball game on the Mac. It wouldn't have to be Triple-Play level. Maybe anime-style big head players. So cute and enjoyable by MANY people.

How about MINA NO GOLF, or Everyone's Golf as it is known. It stresses the fun and arcade style. OpenGL would be nice. (Throw in plenty of lens flare)

How about "Lunar Rover/Patrol" A great classic that should be done in 3D.

Or how about you use some of those skills and write a series of tutorials for the many who want to get to your level. (You may even find inspiration to write a game while doing so.)

Last hints....
Get a book on Myths, Ancient Civs and Battles Fought. Many battles yet to be simulated. Speaking of which, I use to love "Empire Deluxe" on the Mac. But it is Classic only. I wish someone could get the code so we could Carbonize it.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Nibbie
Le Muck Wrote:i am going to start making a new game but I havn't really got any ideas for it, so if someone could give me a couple of ideas or something that would be cool.
i am limited to 2d games though.

I've been a gamer since I was 2, (28 years ago) I wore out pitfall on Atari. My game idea is for iPhone. I've recently discovered a whole new gaming industry through the use of ipod and iPhone and is amazing of the attention it attracts of those young and old. Naturally, giving my ideas away would be a waste of time and energy for me. Once I graduate college, I know I can do these things myself, but noticing your post I decided why not? Just to see if my ideas of just one 2D game would work, I could continue to throw more ideas into action. Others posted below have not come close to what I am considering. In my head and from my gaming experiences I am also a lover of other games also. If you would get back to me personally, I would be more than happy to share my idea.
I don't know if you noticed it, but this thread is a whopping seven years old now, so I doubt you'll be hearing back from him. Wink
AnotherJake Wrote:I don't know if you noticed it, but this thread is a whopping seven years old now, so I doubt you'll be hearing back from him. Wink

I don't see why you say this... He's probably checking this post every day, waiting for someone to reply. LOL

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
[chukle] .... You never know!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game Ideas: Your Thoughts Man With No Name 16 8,767 Mar 10, 2008 08:15 PM
Last Post: JustinFic
  Game ideas muffins91 6 4,930 Aug 2, 2007 07:53 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Searching game ideas Iceman 7 5,468 Aug 27, 2005 04:13 PM
Last Post: unknown
  Spaceships strategy game ideas Achenar 1 3,959 Jun 26, 2005 02:18 AM
Last Post: sealfin
  Any ideas for a 21 Days game? Let's brainstorm funkboy 3 3,561 Jun 11, 2005 09:48 AM
Last Post: funkboy