Preference for our game assets

Founder
Some time when I am free, I plan to go through all of our games assets and fix/improve things. As for sound, the only thing I can do is to make smaller downloads to help slow-speed people.

For tiles, I have used PICT images that contain a bunch of tiles for most of my work. Should I consider breaking each tile into its own file? Should I consider saving the images in TGA or TIFF, or PNG?

I also have some nice (IMHO) tiles in Level Creator format that I am suprised no one has used. Now, I am thinking of making them regular images for those that don't have Level Creator.

I also need input on the type of game assets that people want...
As for me, I am interested in releasing small MP3 loops, isometric tiles, and graphics for a complete game "classic/retro" game. For example, Centipede or Berserk. These could be useful in tutorials or for newbies.

I'm also curious if my OpenGL fonts were useful? Are there any requests for more font faces along these lines?

Anyhow, if you have any requests for game assets, or would like to see more of a particular kind, let me know. (BTW... I don't like making characters/people since it is too hard and requires too much work to animate the bodies, so don't ask for them. Grin )

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
PNG or TGA. TIFF's basically useless and PICT is a dodo.

The thing is that while programmer art will suffice for most graphic elements, characters really do require an artist. Having all these beautiful tile sets is actually pretty useless without any characters to put on them.
mySocksAreOnFire
Unregistered

Maybe some instrument samples? Pianos, wind, string, percussion, stuff like that.
I would like to see some more music/sound effects. In my opinion, those are the hardest things for the general game programmer to make.
ibullard
Unregistered

I second OneSadCookie. More characters with animations to go with isometric tiles would be very, very cool. For me, music comes in a distant second.
Fhizban
Unregistered

Hi,
Im not often on this board, but i visit idevgames regularly for downloading assets. i think the graphic files are great for making a retro/freeware game. what i wanted to see are more RPG Tiles THAT FIT TOGETHER. There are various sections of tiles but all different size and color depth so you cannot use them all together in a game.

Animated Characters would be nice, and more landscape tiles too.

cya
-Fhizban
http://www.errandar.de
Pascal Gane
Unregistered

What font textures for 3D/2D games ?? Or shareware/freeware tools to create some ?? And generally better quality texture for 3D type games ??

Rasp.
3D models would be nifty too. Grin
I think 3D models (with textures) are a good idea if you don't want to take the time to draw every frame of an animated character (which I completely understand): the programmer can use the model in a realtime 3D game, or can use meshworks to render some animation frames to use in a 2D game.

Also, maybe Mr. Ari Feldman could help out with a some animated character sprites Grin Or, you could always pay him for his work (I think he does very good retro-style sprite animations) www.yogicflyer.com

Carlos, I love all your game assets so far. My favorites are the Phaeum Tiles and the Xaos Tiles... and I like your Level Creator sets, also.

> and graphics for a complete game "classic/retro" game. For
> example, Centipede or Berserk. These could be useful in
> tutorials or for newbies.

Yes, I think that would be very useful for writing tutorials (or for a uDG entry Wink )

Chris Burkhardt
nohbahdii
Unregistered

I found the resources to be useful especially the soundfx, but the graphics were good too[when doing a test run for game mechanics...an Alpha version]
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
For tiles, I have used PICT images that contain a bunch of tiles for most of my work. Should I consider breaking each tile into its own file? Should I consider saving the images in TGA or TIFF, or PNG?
Does it really matter what format you save the graphics in since we could convert them to whatever was needed? Maybe add alpha channels...
robsteely
Unregistered

Many of the RPG graphic elements in the library are too small and at too low of a color depth to be useful in today's games.

I would like to see much larger, tileable sprites at millions of colors for landscapes, character animations, and magical effects. In particular, I'd like to see artwork suitable for use in Coldstone games (2D RPG engine where the viewpoint is typically above and slightly behind objects). The graphics in Pillars of Garendall provide good examples of the size and type of graphics I'm looking for. Having graphics for a variety of eras would be nice, i.e. western, 1930's gangsters, medieval, modern day, futuristic, space, etc.

I would also like to see longer, looping theme music for a variety of game situations.

Lastly, I would like to see additional interface elements such as: windows and controls (buttons, sliders, scrollbar replacements, etc.).

Bob Steely
Quote:Originally posted by robsteely
Lastly, I would like to see additional interface elements such as: windows and controls (buttons, sliders, scrollbar replacements, etc.).
Just out of curiosity, why do you want interface elements? We have the Mac GUI already, plus with IB and PB, it is easier to use and interact with those elements.
robsteely
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by jabber
Just out of curiosity, why do you want interface elements? We have the Mac GUI already, plus with IB and PB, it is easier to use and interact with those elements.

Oops, I meant *graphics* for interface elements. I don't use standard OS and aqua controls in games or they ends up looking like MS Excel.

Bob
> I don't use standard OS and aqua controls in games or they ends
> up looking like MS Excel.

Yes, nothing takes away from the game environment like adhering to Apple's human interface guidelines.

Chris Burkhardt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New game assets coming Carlos Camacho 30 12,822 Jun 18, 2003 08:21 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho