Beginning development

If you're going to program on Mac OS 9, Apple has plenty of free downloadable tools available on their web site. Things to look for are MPW, RezEdit, and any debuggers. MPW is confusing, but the compiler is very good.

You can download MPW from here: ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest.../MPW_etc./

The rest you can find from there.

I doubt you can afford to buy Codewarrior. If you do have the money get Codewarrior, just get Mac OS X. It's cheaper, you get an awesome new OS, and the developer tools are cool. Developer tools come free with Mac OS X.

I strongly recommend that you put all that aside and consider getting Mac OS X, even if it's just for the developer tools. It is SO worth it. And this is coming from a fellow high school student like you with no money. I wish I had discovered the awesome power of Project Builder and Interface Builder from the very beginning (although it may have been a bit confusing, as it would be for you, but MPW is no better on that route, if not more confusing at that).
Quote this message in a reply
Hawksun
Unregistered

What must i download in the MPW folder of the FTP? There is way too much stuff there. :confused:
Read the !Read_Me.txt file. It's all there. Basically it says to download the MPW_GM Images, but it also has links to some helpful resources. Actually, once you understand how to compile a program, you probably won't use many more advanced features of MPW because it takes so much trouble to learn. Remember, if you need any help with anything, you can ask in these forums. I used to always use them as a last resort because I was embarrased of being so "dumb." I have found that there are no dumb questions.
If you have a *little* money, you can get CodeWarrior LE. It is CodeWarrior, but for $50. I like these questions, I actually know the answers for once Grin
Quote:Originally posted by jabber
I like these questions, I actually know the answers for once Grin

Ya same here jabber! Grin

I never figured out how limited Codewarrior LE is. I just went for MPW cuz it was free, had a better compiler anyway, and didn't know what features were taken out of Codewarrior for the LE. And can't you not legally make any commercial products with LE?
Founder
I could SWEAR there is an article on this site that covers Mac Game Dev Tools.

FREE
------
METAL BASIC
Chipmunk Basic
Think Pascal (The PASCAL guy here can steer you in the right direction)
Apple's MPW
Apple's Mac OS X Tools
Javascript
PHP
Perl
Mac Arcade Game Script Language (I haven't setttled on the name)

Shareware
--------------
TNT Basic
Omikorn Basic
Mac Standard Visual Basic (Buyer beware)

Self-Demo
-------------
Future Basic
REALBasic

You can also find some stuff that is along the lines of AUTHORING tools. (i.e. Supercard, Director, etc... use your student discount)
There are also some other languages like Python, Squeak, etc.... Please use VersionTracker to find 'em all.

Did I leave anything out?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I agree with geezusfreeek when he says that once you figure out how to compile something with MPW you'll probably never use any other features, but figuring out that much is confusing for someone starting out!

I use MPW for all my development at the moment (which tends to be Carbon with OpenGL) so once you get it downloaded I may be able to help. That said, all I really know how to do is modify a MakeFile to suit a new project and then use the MPW Worksheet to build an app out of that MakeFile.

CodeWarriorLE is pretty full featured as far as begninning development goes, by far the biggest limitation is that you are not allowed to distribute programs you make with it as shareware or commercially. I can't remember exactly but you might not even be able to distribute freeware games with it? But I'm not sure about that.
Quote:Originally posted by monteboyd
CodeWarriorLE is pretty full featured as far as begninning development goes, by far the biggest limitation is that you are not allowed to distribute programs you make with it as shareware or commercially. I can't remember exactly but you might not even be able to distribute freeware games with it? But I'm not sure about that.
I believe (not sure) that you can distribute it as open-source (hehe, uDG). But other than that... fairly limited as far as what you can release... Back when I was ambitious, I was going to learn how to use MPW, but that never quite took place. Maybe I will try again...
Ah, I think I will try to learn MPW again Smile Is the MPW on the CodeWarrior CD the same as the one on Apple's website? Because the one on Apple's site is rather big for a lowly 28k connection...
If when you open it it's just a shell that you type commands into it's probably the same, but may be a different version. They haven't made any new ones for a logn time though. It's probably the same thing. The compiler is the best feature. I think you can use the compilers from MPW in Codewarrior....
Hawksun
Unregistered

I'm back, finally! well thanks to all for the programming tools and help. But now i need something else: graphics tools. Right now i'm just looking for a free or really cheap simple painting tool for making crude bitmaps.
Well, I've always just used the stuff that came pre-installed, like Appleworks. Not sure exactly what you want. If you want to do some filtering stuff, I guess you could download GraphicConverter (it's shareware). Do some looking around in some download sites for other stuff too. I like pure-mac.com because it's easy to navigate. Others probably have more downloads, but pure-mac is just so easy.
Hawksun
Unregistered

Well i just want something simple, like paint.
Founder
Do a search in game design message board for paint programs. Either this forum or the old forum had the answer to your question.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question about GameKit in Cabrera's "Beginning iPhone Games Development" book Nacho 3 4,002 Oct 17, 2010 04:36 PM
Last Post: szymczyk