ALT: MARS game development tool ....

Founder
AL, you need to keep us up to date on the progress of GameMaker so we can let our visitors know. You might want to write an "intro" article (check out the CystalSpace article) to increase awareness of GM. If I recall, you use FutureBasic to create it?

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
griffin239
Unregistered

Wholly smokes I downloaded GameMaker months ago..opened it and closed it...I haven't liked those card based games since my Mac IIsi and trying to make similiar games on Amiga.

But after reading this thread..I found that their are tons of these things!!! What interested me was the creator's multi-player online feature..

I'm curious to see what comes of the multiplayer end of this.
What I could foresee is implementing Multi-Player Game maker into a quiz show kind of game..like hit the right multiple choice answer first type of thing. Perfect for schools..

Or a standard maze game where each player is trying to get out of the maze...perfect for Game Maker type of games.

Pretty damn cool...

SO TotalImmortal..you've had METAL for a month...whats the verdict. I'm curious. I've downloaded it a dozen times yet never get around to thinking in BASIC when I have it around. Currently I'm converting a BASIC salary program to C over at CodewarriorU.com. Should be interesting and I may actually learn this stuff if I can see my own handywork changed over.

Good Luck game makeres.
Al_Staffieri
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by griffin239
Wholly smokes I downloaded GameMaker months ago..opened it and closed it...I haven't liked those card based games since my Mac IIsi and trying to make similiar games on Amiga.

With a little creativity and some work, GameMaker games don't have to look or run as if they are card based. You did mention the multi-player feature which, as you said, does open up some interesting possibilties on that end. However I believe it is still best suited for adventure games, with my favorite GameMaker game being Dreaming by Helena Markoya.
http://members.aol.com/MacGameMaker/dreaming.html
griffin239
Unregistered

Hey I tried Dreaming out...almost enjoyed myself until I realized why card based games drive me nuts...click click click in circles for the last 10 minutes...getting nowhere...

I guess I like the action to be happening ..and then I have to respond to it. If there's one thing I can't stand..getting stuck...oh that bugs me...I don't suppose theirs a Game Maker Made games cheat page somewhere?

But I cracked it open in resedit..nice art....looks like interesting stuff.

Hey Al, your in Jersey? I'm in Jersey..about 2 miles from Giants Stadium...or what ever corporate name it has now.

Going to Macworld next month? Perhaps we should have lunch...I don't think I'll be getting tickets to the Developer's Party this year...that was a big favor last year..and a good time...
Quote:Originally posted by Totalimmortal
so yeah i got metal last night and played with it a bit, i compilded the invaders game that came with it . i have not been able to look at the code just yet because of school, work, ect. but i hope to have a good chance to look it over tonight. yeah i was going for the Cocoa. but i dont have os x on my home computer only at work do i get to mess around with it.

Well, Metal should run on either OS 9 or X, as should the programs you compile with it.

Same thing with TNT. Of course, Metal's free, and TNT is $30. On the other hand, $30 is pretty close to free for a programming tool as good as TNT is. I would avoid Chipmunk because it requires using line numbers which is very annoying. More for the nostalgic types, or someone who just moved to a mac from an Apple II or a C64.
TNT rules. It helps a lot to have a nice interface.
Oh, and if you want to have a stunning experience, you MUST try silver creator Shock that was my first coding experience.
Shock-I' m still shocked-Shock
Well, I'm currently looking forward to BlitzMax coming out, which will be a completely cross-platform version of BlitzBasic (see blitzbasic.com ).

I've used it on the PC, and it is FANTASTIC, seriously. I've tried downloading most of the things for the mac which are available (like metal basic and others), and honestly, they just don't touch it.

I've already made my first game and sold it to a publisher, making a pretty decent lump of dough if I do say so myself Cool

Of course, until it comes to the Mac though, I don't think I can be bothered with it since it means hauling some massive heavy beige boxes backwards and forwards from university ;-) That's why I'm now giving SDL a shot, which isn't too bad, but nowhere nearly as easy and fast as BlitzBasic. And talking of speed, I got better framerates with Blitz than I am with SDL since it was properly hardware accellerated.

Seriously, it has EVERYTHING. Adding a network game mode to my game was just... trivial.

Itching to get my Mac version :-)

--Joe
Oh, that blitz looks cool... I want it too!!
But I didn' t find anything about blitzmax... are you sure it' s a true thing?
w_reade
Unregistered

Yeah, I just had a look... nothing on the site that I could see; Google found a year-old IMG news item and a couple of mentions, but it seems limboed.

Damn! I've heard very good things about Blitz3d, and that post got me all excited for a minute.
Quote:Originally posted by w_reade
Yeah, I just had a look... nothing on the site that I could see; Google found a year-old IMG news item and a couple of mentions, but it seems limboed.

Damn! I've heard very good things about Blitz3d, and that post got me all excited for a minute.

Don't hold your breath on that. If I remember correctly, Blitz was a competitor to AMOS on the Amiga. TNT is loosely patterned after AMOS, and is sure to get better in the future. Ditto! for Metal.

Patience, boys. BASIC is slowly but surely making a comeback on the Mac.
Oh yes, BlitzMax is definitely on its way.

I've been in the Blitz community for quite a while, and the maker (Mark Sibly) got a free Mac from Apple a while ago, and he posted comments on his weblog saying how nice the operating system is. Also, he posted stuff a while ago saying that he had got the basic compiler to work on all platforms (to do a simple maths program or something).

Recently, Blitz Research released something called BlitzPlus, which is all over the blitz site. It is basically Blitz2D with a GUI. Mark Sibly said that this GUI was basically him learning from experience what makes a decent GUI creator etc since the other main feature in BlitzMax apart from portability are the GUI features.

I know there's not much on their site about it, but that's basically just because they're publisising what they've only just released and supporting it etc. BlitzMax was announced quite a while ago, and the site has been updated quite a lot since then, but that doesn't mean they aren't still working on it.

Don't worry, it may be late, but it DEFINITELY exists, and it'll be worth the wait :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Building a game building tool leRiCl 9 4,975 Apr 12, 2008 12:16 AM
Last Post: leRiCl
  ALT: Free game development tools Spanish Boy 9 5,770 Sep 2, 2003 05:52 PM
Last Post: Zenith