ALT: MARS game development tool ....

Totalimmortal
Unregistered

hey any one know anything about it or where i can find it ??Rasp
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
MARS was used to create "Prince of Destruction" POD (and follow up?) The developer made the tools available that created the game, they were buggy and probably wouldn't run on today's OS. But I could be wrong. I have it on an old CD-ROM SOMEWHERE. The developer isn't interested in it at all, as he now does REALBasic stuff. You might run into him sometimes, I think his handle was POD Master. Anyhow, I think you are better off looking at ColdStone Engine.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I would go with TNTBasic(but then you need to know Basic) becouse I think CS aint no good, why?
• Very low customization!
• Slow(its friggin choppy on my g3 300, and it doesn't even use things like antialiasing(TNTBasic supports it))
• Its really hard to change the fighting system, even a bit
Otherwise its pretty good(but I think the included graphics sucks, but thats just IMO)
I might not like CS becouse my expetation was high, becouse I've wanted to do a CRPG and I've stared a few projects but they've all gone down the drain

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Totalimmortal
Unregistered

yeah i would go with cold stone but iam kinda porr right now and cant afford it, and i dont want to warez it cuz i would feel bad. MARS would be cool cuz its free and i would not need to lean a programing language, like i would if i went with real basic. any one know of any other game creators other that MARS, Cold Stone and Klik and Play?
mySocksAreOnFire
Unregistered

Founder
Good of you to find the link! I thought the page is down. The person I was thinking of was Andrew B of course. Someone should ask him if he would allow MARS to go open-source, so that a new team could work on it.

As I said before, MARS may be very unstable.

Check out Al S.'s Adventure Construction System. That might be another option.

Keep in mind, even with Coldstone, you will still need to do some programming in the form of their scripts, otherwise you are just changing graphics and putting out the same thing other people are.

BASIC is not that hard to learn. Give METAL, TNT Basic or even Chipmunk a try!

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Totalimmortal
Unregistered

whats that and where can i find it? sounds promising. also i found this program called "level creator" whats thats for? thanks all
Founder
You can make "Hypercard" style adventures with Al's stuff. Look at:
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.f...791&db=mac

Don't scoof at that, because you could make a game like Myst that made some good ching. Not sprite-based stuff though.

Level Creator builds levels for games. It was made to support Spriteworld (http://www.spriteworld.org/). You still need code to do something with your levels.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Totalimmortal
Unregistered

ok well i guess theres no way around it iam going to have to learn some code :-) question is what language iam going to learn. i'll download METAL after work today and check it out.
If you have OS X, I would recommend learning Cocoa.
Founder
METAL runs on Mac OS X and TNT Basic is getting better under Mac OS X. Chipmunk was also updated to Mac OS X if I recall. yes, COCOA should be your final destination. But if you are coming from ZERO, then I would highly rate METAL or even TNT Basic. The docs and sample code for METAL are good. I have seen some great "shooters" written with it.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Totalimmortal
Unregistered

yeah the hypercard stack thing is not for me concerding the type of game i want to make, so i guess iam going to try METAL. i'll let you know how everything works out.
Founder
Tell the "METAL-heads" that I sent ya. Their forum is very active.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Al_Staffieri
Unregistered

GameMaker is slowly expanding beyond card based, hypercard style games. The current release has 2 player internet capability using the free GMOnline addon tool. Beta versions of GameMaker include the beginnings of a sprite system. The OS X version is in late beta testing and you can download the open beta from the web site.
http://members.aol.com/AlStaff/GameMakerHelp.html
Totalimmortal
Unregistered

so yeah i got metal last night and played with it a bit, i compilded the invaders game that came with it . i have not been able to look at the code just yet because of school, work, ect. but i hope to have a good chance to look it over tonight. yeah i was going for the Cocoa. but i dont have os x on my home computer only at work do i get to mess around with it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Building a game building tool leRiCl 9 4,978 Apr 12, 2008 12:16 AM
Last Post: leRiCl
  ALT: Free game development tools Spanish Boy 9 5,770 Sep 2, 2003 05:52 PM
Last Post: Zenith