Game engines with object programming

Apprentice
Hello,

I started writing apps for iPhone at the end of last year and have an app in the store which is doing reasonably well. I wanted to move into games and have been messing around with OpenGL but am a bit stuck.

What I'm after is recommendations on books or media which can explain the game engine design process with OOP. I've written games for other platforms in various 'basic' languages but they are all procedural and creating a game loop is fairly straight forward. But the move to iPhone and OOP has really confused me.

Can anyone suggest any websites / books / other media which cover how best to structure a game engine for iPhone?

Thanks,
JT
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Well if you want books, any of the iPhone game programming books on Amazon will probably help you just fine. But also, if you look at any examples, you can see the techniques there too. Apple used to have a few sample games available.
Apprentice
That's the problem you see - the books you can get just now don't deal in game engine technology. They deal in frameworks and generalised stuff.

I've got probably the entire dozen books on offer just now. I need something that deals with game engine structure.
⌘-R in Chief
For that you'd have to pick up any other couple-dozen books made for game programming. They're not going to be iPhone specific, but they'd still have the patterns you're looking for.

But don't over think it. Just start making a game and use good programming practices and you'll be ok. It's better to write a game than get lost in trying to write a game engine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Upcoming Multiplatform Game Programming Book for Beginners JazonYamamoto 3 1,507 Apr 14, 2014 05:55 PM
Last Post: JustinFic
  free mac game programming book jaked 4 6,793 Jun 8, 2009 12:48 AM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Game Programming Tutorial markvw 0 4,316 Jan 27, 2009 05:10 AM
Last Post: markvw
  Game Programming for iPhone? Help with Cocoa and MVC. holografix 7 6,692 Jan 22, 2009 08:17 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  2D game programming in SDL Rhade 11 9,355 Sep 15, 2008 03:40 PM
Last Post: aardvarc