Game Maker for Mac… is go!

Apprentice
Although the finished product unfortunately doesn't support PPC Macs or any version of OS X under 10.5 I am still glad to finally see GM4Mac make its grand debut.

Here is the official announcement.

Quote:We are proud to announce the official launch of Game Maker for Mac!

This is our first release on the Mac, it is the Pro version of Game Maker 7 adapted for the Macintosh environment and contains almost all the feature of Game Maker 7 and more.

Supports Intel only Mac OS X v10.5 (Leopard) and v10.6 (Snow Leopard).Remote update mechanism (with regular updates for bug fixes and new features).Full Drag and Drop included.Full GML scripting.Extension mechanism to incorporate 3rd party libraries – (need to be Mac specific extensions, will not run Windows.).Room EditorSprite EditorPath EditorCreate standalone games that you can share with friends.
It has taken a long time to reach this stage, and many thanks to everyone involved in helping us with alpha and beta testing.

You can download Game Maker for Mac from here – http://appstore.yoyogames.com/downloads/..._Maker.dmg – this will give you 10 hours of accumulated use (i.e. you can use it for an hour, then a week later still have 9 hours use left), before you need to purchase a license.

An introductory price of $20 until the end of August, then $25 from 1st September. You can buy a license for Game Maker for Mac now from the YoYo Games Appstore… http://appstore.yoyogames.com/gm4mac !

There is no upgrade path from Windows to Mac.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
That's cool. I know GameMaker has allowed a lot of talented people make some really great indie games on Windows without needing to be programming experts. Hopefully we can see some of those games on Mac now. Smile

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Founder
The name might create confusion with Al Staffieri Jr. "Game Maker" for the Mac. Though that game making app hasn't been updated since 2009.

By the way, your link is 404.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Apprentice
I'm looking forward to trying it out more when time permits myself. Currently I've been working on a project in BlitzMax for over a year and I look forward to moving back away from coding.

I also look forward to see what will be ported now by the users like yourself Skorche.

Thanks for pointing that out Carlos, it looks like the ! decided to fuse with the url. I'll try and edit it after posting this.
Hopefully neither mind the other having an app of the same name.
Looked into this just a few weeks ago, when my son took a one week "make a game" summer class. It had been in beta for over a year, which wasn't promising. And in the meantime the PC side has moved on Game Maker 8, which uses an incompatible file format. Glad they got it out though.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Apprentice
Yeah, the Mac version has been under development for a while. From what I have read, depending on the interest level of the Mac version GM8 features may find their way into it. The major plan however is for YoYo Games to now bring out Game Maker 9 simultaneously on both platforms.