A question about provisionning profile

Nibbie
After some trial and errors I succeeded to deploy my application to my IPod touch.

But I didn't completely understand what had happened.

I understood that the certificate I created should be once per device, but the App ID is one per application.

Now the provisionning profile is linked to the App ID, so I should have a different profile per application?

And if so, when I run my application, how can I specify the profile I'm using? When I installed my application, there is no option inside XCode to chose what profile to use when installing on the real device.

And when I tested another application, it is installed using the same profile of course, as I only have one.

Am I right, or there is something I am missing?
Quote this message in a reply
The way Apple has this set up is pretty confusing at first. If I'm remembering all of this correctly:
  • Your certificate contains your code signing identity. In the simple case, you'll only need two certificates per iPhone developer account; one for development, and one for distribution.
  • Your app ID is a string that identifies an application or an application family you write. In the dev portal, it can be set up with a wildcard so that you only need a single dev portal app ID for any app you write. In each app's Info.plist, as long as the bundle ID starts with the part of your app ID preceding the wildcard, it's considered to be under the same umbrella.
  • You'll need to enter a device ID into the dev portal for each device you want to deploy to through a mechanism other than the app store (dev deployments and ad hoc deployments, generally).
  • The provisioning profile associates the above three pieces of data to specify what applications are allowed to run on what devices. To install a provisioning profile on a device, the profile must include that device's UDID (AKA device ID, as above). Once installed, it essentially gives the device permission to run applications with your app ID signed by your certificate.
Hope that helps!
Nibbie
(Aug 16, 2010 09:24 AM)ThemsAllTook Wrote:  The way Apple has this set up is pretty confusing at first. If I'm remembering all of this correctly:
  • Your certificate contains your code signing identity. In the simple case, you'll only need two certificates per iPhone developer account; one for development, and one for distribution.
  • Your app ID is a string that identifies an application or an application family you write. In the dev portal, it can be set up with a wildcard so that you only need a single dev portal app ID for any app you write. In each app's Info.plist, as long as the bundle ID starts with the part of your app ID preceding the wildcard, it's considered to be under the same umbrella.
  • You'll need to enter a device ID into the dev portal for each device you want to deploy to through a mechanism other than the app store (dev deployments and ad hoc deployments, generally).
  • The provisioning profile associates the above three pieces of data to specify what applications are allowed to run on what devices. To install a provisioning profile on a device, the profile must include that device's UDID (AKA device ID, as above). Once installed, it essentially gives the device permission to run applications with your app ID signed by your certificate.
Hope that helps!

Thanks for your reply. I now almost got it. But I checked the Info.plist and I saw
com.yourcompany.${PRODUCT_NAME:rfc1034identifier}

This is different from the appID I wrote.
It is com.XYZ.First

Do you know how this is mapped to that?
By my understanding, that shouldn't work. Either it's more permissive with app IDs than I thought, or something's not working as intended... Maybe it allows nonmatching app IDs for development, but not for distribution?
I had similar problems months ago, but now, Apple documentation (PDF in iTunes Connect) explains everything very well, just follow all steps.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Code Provisioning Profile mdonahoe 0 2,233 Oct 27, 2008 07:56 PM
Last Post: mdonahoe