Few Questions re: provisioning profiles / code signing.

It's slowly making sense to me..

Have a few questions re: provisioning profiles.

1. Can (should) I use wild-card App ID's for:
Development provisioning profiles
Distribution (App-Store) provisioning profiles
Distribution (Ad-Hoc) provisioning profiles

2. When do I need to use an 'Entitlements.plist' file?
I know for an Ad-Hoc build, I need one, and it should have 'get-task-allow' as an un-ckecked boolean. Do I need this also for an App-Store build?

3. Should I only setup code-signing, at the Target level of the project settings?

4. Where do I need to put the App ID in to the project settings. Anywhere? Does it need to match up with the 'Bundle identifier' in Info.plist?

5. I was having some issues getting an Ad Hoc build to work; after I created an Ad Hoc profile and build; it installed fine on a newer device, via iTunes; but then the same profile and app wouldn't install via iTunes, on an older device! (it only worked when I first installed the profile to the device, via Xcode organizer, then I could copy the app via iTunes). Why is that?
Quote this message in a reply
1) I use wild card app id's for development and ad hoc. I never remember what I do for App Store distribution, but I probably don't use wild cards there -- especially not when doing in-app purchase.

2) entitlements.plist is only needed for ad hoc. You can leave it in with the app store distribution and it won't hurt it, but it's not needed for that.

3) I pretty much do everything I can at the target level settings.

4) The info.plist is the only place where you set the bundle identifier. I don't recall having to set anything related to the App ID in the target settings.

5) I have no idea. Try deleting the profile from the device first and then re-installing it. Ad Hoc is still goofy sometimes.
Many Thanks Jake.

So, an App ID is: BUNDLE_SEED . BUNDLE_IDENTIFIER

The seed part is generated by Apple when you create an App ID. You only need to use the same seed as another one of your apps, if you want those apps to share data. Is that correct?

You specify the identifier part when creating an App ID. It needs to match up with the value in Info.plist.

So if I have an App ID: 0123456789.com.mycompany.myapp
I use "com.mycompany.myapp" in the bundle identifier in Info.plist.

If I have an App ID: 0123456789.com.mycompany.*
I use "com.mycompany.<any_app_name>".

If I have an App ID: 0123456789.*
I can use any other string I like (could be "com.mycompany.myapp" etc).
(Sep 22, 2010 02:36 AM)Jamie W Wrote:  The seed part is generated by Apple when you create an App ID. You only need to use the same seed as another one of your apps, if you want those apps to share data. Is that correct?

I don't know what you mean by "share data". You never use the seed for anything, that I recall; it's just an Apple internal database thingy, apparently.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Questions Using Source Code and Drag & Drop Game Makers Thunder_Strike 2 1,955 Jul 12, 2013 07:59 AM
Last Post: Thunder_Strike
  Provisioning a personal build MattDiamond 2 3,434 Oct 25, 2011 02:51 PM
Last Post: MattDiamond
  Do i need to go through code signing also for personal apps on personal iphone? Najdorf 2 2,960 Jan 24, 2009 07:26 PM
Last Post: Najdorf
  Code Provisioning Profile mdonahoe 0 2,208 Oct 27, 2008 07:56 PM
Last Post: mdonahoe