de facto standard for game packages

Apprentice
Hey guys, sorry for the noob question, but I never worked on a Mac until last week...

Few days ago I successfully ported the game I'm developing, The Undergrounder, to Mac Os X, so starting from next week I'm going to make Mac builds available for our beta testers.

I was wondering what's the "standard" way to package Mac games. I guess it's using .dmg images, but I'm new at this world, that's why I'm asking Smile
I'm thinking to store the .app and a README in the .dmg, and probably that's fine for now, any suggestions/tips regarding the final package? TY
Quote this message in a reply
.dmg is fine. Personally, I like to get a zip of the folder, but it seems many (most?) others prefer .dmg, because to them it looks more "professional".

Whatever you do, do not ever make an installer for a game. That's really the only no-no on Mac.
If you want to have a fancy background, as well as nice directions on "hey drag me to the application folder", and include a symlink to the application folder, use a .dmg.

It makes it really easy to install games (that I want to keep around for awhile). Also it encourages adding it to their application folder, which in turn means it's less likely to be trashed from their downloads folder. Remember, it's not saying it HAS to go there, but it encourages.
⌘-R in Chief
Way to plug there! Rasp (I'll agree, DMG Canvas is really nice)

Personally, I prefer my games (or any type of application) to be a simple .zip'd .app, but README's are important as well...
Apprentice
Perfect, thanks for the tips guys! Smile