Is cocoa drawing enough?

Hello all, I was just wondering if I should use the built in cocoa library to begin my game. I just want to make a simple game but every time I get backtracked with work, school and other stuff and I end up not learning or if I do learn something I forget it and have to start reading up everything all over again.

The reason for which I want to use cocoa drawing (or quartz i dont know if they're the same, sorry noobish question) is because it seems like it would be a lot simpler to read up on than say, OpenGL.

I've been at this pace for about two years now and I've seen no progress as far as developing a single application and I feel terribly discouraged.

So back to the question, will cocoa drawing be enough for me to make say, an '8-bit' styled game? Nothing too fancy just basic drawing of sprites and a bit of animation. The game that comes to mind for this game is sort of like a final fantasy/zelda sort of thing.

Well anyway thank you for your time and patience to put up with a noobish programer like me.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Yes, Cocoa's drawing is a [very thin] layer atop Quartz. You can also use Quartz directly.

No, it's pretty unlikely either will really be fast enough, plus laptop users won't thank you for having their battery eaten. They're also not vastly easier than OpenGL. Loading images is a bit simpler.
Thanks, so I guess I should go with OpenGL all the way?
Luminary
'fraid so.

You can consider CoreAnimation, or a 3rd party library like Cocos2D (yes, now available for Mac as well as iOS) instead if you prefer, but OpenGL is not particularly hard, especially for 2D stuff. You shouldn't have a complex about it.

You might like http://blog.onesadcookie.com/2007/12/xco...orial.html
Thank you very much.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  JPEG Image drawing in Cocoa/OpenGL? honkFactory 13 7,255 Dec 24, 2002 10:36 PM
Last Post: anarchie