Silverfish for iPhone & iPod touch - Pure Arcade Action

The self doubt and hair pulling begins... my latest game Silverfish is now available on the App Store!

Please visit the Silverfish web page for info, screenshots, and links: http://www.chaoticbox.com/silverfish.php

For your viewing pleasure:

Cheers!
Quote this message in a reply
My gosh the graphics are freaking amazing! Blink

Super well polished. I cannot possibly say enough about how great of a job you did on this Frank. This is a 10/10. I am in awe. WOW

[edit] yikes, I just realized iTunes is buggy as heck and I can't seem to rate anything from iTunes right now, for whatever reason. I've never seen it do this before, but when I hover over the star rating it goes nutty.
(Nov 9, 2010 10:34 PM)AnotherJake Wrote:  My gosh the graphics are freaking amazing! Blink

Super well polished. I cannot possibly say enough about how great of a job you did on this Frank. This is a 10/10. I am in awe. WOW

So positive it sounds sarcastic! LOL Thanks!
Honestly (and I am being completely serious, just to be clear), I really think that if you can't see solid revenue with a game of this quality then there simply is no point for any of us to be messing with iOS anymore... at least not without financial backing or a publisher of some sort or another to penetrate the marketing aspect of it. We're seeing extremely low numbers across the board lately. Pretty much, if Silverfish can't do it then nothing can, because it is such a masterful example of what *should* be a successful game on the platform.
It'll certainly be a blow to me personally if it flops as I really put everything I got into this thing and I'm not sure how much more of a battering I can handle Wink

I won't know till the trend reports come out for Tuesday but the first day seems to have gone reasonably well, considering the only marketing I did was emailing 5 websites, screaming on twitter, and posting a bunch in the Touch Arcade forums. It's inching real close to the top 100 arcade charts in the US, UK, and a few other bigger markets right now. I haven't got a clue how that translates to actual sales yet but it's certainly the best positioning I've seen in since 2008.
Ha! I just beat justinfic and got to #11 on the Reaper leaderboard! Woohoo!

[edit] Oh yeah, BTW Frank, awesome job on the Pac-Man-esque chase with full POW. I wouldn't have even noticed how Pac-Man-ish it was but the sound effect for it *juuust* barely hints at it, along with the blue coloration of the baddies. Perfect!
TUAW feature was totally unexpected Wow I picked the wrong day to sleep in Wink

@AnotherJake: I'm glad someone finally picked up on those sounds LOL The siren and "wacka" are pretty obvious tributes once you notice them Grin
Hey, in your next update, you need to put a dialog box in there that pops up and asks the player to rate the app right after they finish a game with a great score (and/or have been playing for a while). See Fruit Ninja for an example of how this is done, if you don't know what I mean.
You also need to have a button visible in the menus to "Tell-a-friend", which when clicked, automatically composes an email that the user can send off to a friend to tell them about it.
I've thought about the "review me please!" alerts - Personally I can't stand them, but probably a good idea. Tell-a-friend is a good idea too! Clearly my marketing department is asleep at the wheel Rasp
Yeah, I generally hate those "review me please" dialogs as well. The dialog in Fruit Ninja is well-placed, and opened me up to the idea. I should've taken a screenshot of it when I saw it, because I can't remember exactly what the verbiage was.

BTW, our metrics show that people absolutely do click on the Tell-a-friend button. I include their high score in the pre-composed email and make it like a challenge, like "I just got 445 MILLION points in Blahblah! I'll bet you can't beat that!", with a graphic which links to the App Store page. It's cheesy as can be, but as far as I'm concerned, there's no way to be "classy" when it comes to marketing, so might as well make it over the top. Annoyed
Hey! Congrats on the release! Don't worry, I'm sure it'll fly (swim?) off the (virtual) shelves. But I agree that marketing plays a big part in the success of a game.

Best of luck!

Original Music and Sound Design for Video Games
http://www.harrymack.com
Just want to add my congrats on Silverfish, Frank. It's a bit of a catch 22 for me because it simultaneously inspires me to get stuck into my own games, and sucks time away from me working on them!

I really hope it is a success for you. If I had any sage words of marketing wisdom I would give them, but I feel like I have been pretty bad at marketing myself in the past. So just hang in there and keep plugging it - remember that some of the biggest successes (like Trainyard) weren't a hit straight away!
(Nov 10, 2010 03:11 PM)monteboyd Wrote:  It's a bit of a catch 22 for me because it simultaneously inspires me to get stuck into my own games, and sucks time away from me working on them!
Sorry LOL I mean, you're welcome! Rasp